More VISA news

HEAPS GOOD !!!

AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION NEWS

457 visa program successfully addressing skills shortages in Australia

Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Senator Chris Evans believes that changes to the temporary skilled migration scheme are successfully addressing some of Australia's skill shortages while protecting local jobs.

news-ad-AU_2.jpg

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship's latest summary report on the subclass 457 business (long stay) visa program reveal some interesting statistics, including:

• The number of 457 visa applications and grants is more than 40% lower than the same time last year;
  • 64% (up from 55%) of 457 visas granted were granted to applicants with occupations in the ASCO (Professionals) group;
  • 23% of 457 visas granted have been for nominated positions in the health care and social assistance sectors;
  • 16% (up from 9%) of 457 visas granted have been in association with an Australian, state/territory or local Government sponsor.
  • 26% of 457 visas granted were to UK nationals, followed by 14% to Indian nationals and 8% to US nationals;
  • 35% of 457 visas granted were to those with positions in NSW, followed by 24% in Victoria.

The report suggests that the decline in 457 work visa application and grant rates experienced is due, in part, to the introduction of the Migration Legislation Amendment (Worker Protection) Act 2009 in September 2009. This legislation introduced the requirement for employers to pay overseas workers market salary rates.

It is also believed that the requirement for applicants with trade occupations to obtain a skills assessment, introduced gradually from July 2009, has contributed to this decline.

An additional 12 occupations were included on the list of occupations requiring a skills assessment in November 2009.

Hope this is of some use to some people.....

HG

My wife and I are here on the 457 visa,(my wife arrived last June and I New Years eve) however there was a little clause added to this visa late last year that stipulates that one has to be under 45 when applying for PR.

My wife was under 45 when she went for the interview in London and applied for this type of visa and at the time we were told when the time comes she would have no problem in getting PR.

How times change in such a short period of time. My wife has even rang up the imigration people about this and there is nothing they can do. As its now stands we would be forced to leave after four years. Are we down hearted yes and no as we see it as one door closes another one opens. Luckily we have not bought any property here.

In fact we are of to New Zealand next week end for a three weeks holiday and a good look around as we are now adament we will be going over there as they are open for anyone under 55.

My little story is for those who are in the wrong age group ie above 45 and on a temorary long term visa. Please do not fall into the same trap as we did.

Plese xcus te spelin.

Steve