Moving Too Adelaide

Guest Johnniemac

Guest Johnniemac

Hi everyone I have just got news that I have got my regional visa and I hope to be in Adelaide soon. I have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys on here can help me;

1. I am hoping to rent a nice 1 bedroom apartment in Adelaide, do you what sort of documents I would need in order to secure such a placei.e. references, passport, bank statements etc given that I would be new to Adelaide and Australia

2. I would looking for work ideally in a payroll or admin post, what references etc would I need again given I would new to Adelaide and Australia

3. I believe as a UK resident I would qualify for emergency healthcare and would need to register with medicare but I should also take out health and dental insurance. Do you have any idea of the average cost of such insurance?

4. Also do you know if it's possible to open a bank account before I get there to enable me to transfer money into before I leave UK?

Sorry for all the questions but any assistance you can give would be most appreciated.

John

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi

This is a real quickie because I am on my way to work. Rentals usually require all the same info the famous 100 pt ID check ie drivers licence, medicare card, passport etc, so not too difficult. Yes, you register for Medicare immediately that is the Aus version of the NHS (well not quite, it doesnt cover dental) but it does cover doctor hospital etc.

Private health insurance has "extras" packages which include dental, optical, physio, chiro etc . Ours cost $70 per month for a family of 3 but this does not include hospital cover, the amount jumps to over $200 to include this, which would be like having Bupa in UK. It's worth taking out the extras as dental costs are quite expensive here, particularly if you need ongoing treatment.

You can open an account whilst still in the UK, we used Commowealth Bank. The account was opened in London and we put our money in there. When we arrived here, it was here waiting for us along with our bank cards, cheque books etc. Look them up online, it relatively simple to do.

Good luck and best wishes

Mandy

Hi John,

welcome to the forum!

In answer to your questions;

Yes you can open a bank account befor you arrive in oz....ANZ, HSBC..........both very helpful your local branch can help with that aspect.

You will need references for a rental, and proof of income, so a job would be useful!! Also, rental places in the city can be expensive....have a look on www. realestate.com.au for some ideas.

Medicare................get registered; you will need a card for seeing a gp, getting prescriptions etc and as proof of eligibility......it does NOT cover ambulance service, and the price for a call out is huge............ you will need your passport and a current address.

Private insurance.........do get dental, ambulance and hospital cover, at the very least; for a single person it is very reasonable. Try mutual community, or medibank private.

A simple filling can cost over $200 here, a root canal over $500, and thats with private cover......trust me, i just got the bill!! Even the x-rays cost $45.........

Im sure you'll get lots of help and advice from all the loverly peeps on the forum, good luck with your move

Jane

Just a word of caution with the health cover. If you're on a temporary visa (and some of what you've written suggests you are) then the usual packages aren't suitable and you'll be directed to 'visitor cover' which is more expensive. Many temporary visa holders take out the normal packages either unaware of this or through choice but I have heard of difficulties claiming afterwards when it became apparent they were on the wrong plan for their status. Read the small print (and either the back cover or inside cover of healthcare brochures) and it will explain this.

Jim

Guest Johnniemac
Hi John,

welcome to the forum!

In answer to your questions;

Yes you can open a bank account befor you arrive in oz....ANZ, HSBC..........both very helpful your local branch can help with that aspect.

You will need references for a rental, and proof of income, so a job would be useful!! Also, rental places in the city can be expensive....have a look on www. realestate.com.au for some ideas.

Medicare................get registered; you will need a card for seeing a gp, getting prescriptions etc and as proof of eligibility......it does NOT cover ambulance service, and the price for a call out is huge............ you will need your passport and a current address.

Private insurance.........do get dental, ambulance and hospital cover, at the very least; for a single person it is very reasonable. Try mutual community, or medibank private.

A simple filling can cost over $200 here, a root canal over $500, and thats with private cover......trust me, i just got the bill!! Even the x-rays cost $45.........

Im sure you'll get lots of help and advice from all the loverly peeps on the forum, good luck with your move

Jane

Many thanks Jane

With regards to the references would they be from people in the UK i.e previous employer or character references from friends in UK or Australia?

Also when I arrive I would not have a job would a bank statement showing I had suffiecient fund to meet the rent for sometime be sufficient along with passport etc?

Thanks again

John

Guest Johnniemac

Many thanks Mandy

I may not have a job immediately when I arrive would that hinder me in finding a rental? or would a bank statement showing I had sufficient funds to meet the rent for some time be acceptable, together with passport, driving license, medicare card, etc

Hi John

no probs mate.........

your UK references would be just fine for jobs, and for renting if you can get aussie ones, you should be fine!

Rental agents might be satisfied with bank statements for renting, as long as you pay some in advance................on top of any bond you will need to pay.

Its worth ringing the agents about a week befor you get here, telling them your situation, and requirements. Many agents wont get back to you, the market here is very bouyant.

If you have temporary accomodation, perhaps the landlord would reference you...........worth asking them.

You will need 100 points of ID too, passport, drivers licence, bank account details, medicare card..............it all adds up, and the agents can advise you which to bring.

ATB

Jane

• 2 months later...