Why did you leave the UK?

Pommy99

Better weather - trite I know, but I was in a state of hibernation for half the year in the UK. Never even considered the "better future for the kids" thing at the time, but I do think they are in better schools here than they would have been in back in the UK, and have been able to enjoy a longer childhood.

Guest Guest75

In no particular order...........

Better future for our daughter...

Better weather - just love the outdoors.

A new challenge - got this in spades and still after nearly 10 years still getting em'

Because we could.

Becoming bored and dissatisfied with the UK in general.

UK lack of control on immigration and some of the political correctness due to it that I've experienced.

A better quality of life in general here- something you can't put a financial finger on.

The Australian people and culture.

Ermmmmmmmm that's it for now.:biglaugh:

So many reasons;

We were just so over the decline in values of society; i was frustrated and tired of fighting against the bully boy tactics in the NHS, and wanted to step back to being a nurse........the suspicion of prospective employers when they discovered i wanted to drop 2 grades was just mind-blowing and short sighted; so i left!!

The children needed to realise their potential, and like Diane, ive found that here, the teachers really do encourage kids;

Almost year round golf for the OH, and working for someone else means he has more time for the family instead of working 60-65 hrs a week.................

The weather, unless its hot as hades, is a bonus too.

Guest Messua

We left England because:

Dissatisfied with standard of living in England.

Hubby wasn't happy at work.

Sick of it raining all the time.

No sunshine.

We came here for:

Better climate.

Hubby's career.

Better life for our boys.

Open spaces.

Our health.

So far, so good. :jiggy:

Guest Guest75
I agree with Diane! The kids have a much longer childhood here. Sounds odd, but it's true.

I too agree, great to give kids that long and happy childhood.

Some people have commented on how naive kids seem here - it's not that all ,they are just kids for longer:D:D;)

Guest Guest75
Me - Adventure, Experience and Open Roads!!

Wife - Sunshine, Heat and Home and Away

Dog - Forced!

:biglaugh::biglaugh: @ the dog's status comment:biglaugh:

Guest guest3462

Get ready for the rant.........

We left England because we wanted to. We were both in very successful jobs and had a comfortable life financially, but we felt that there was something more on offer here for us all as a family.

I hate to blame immigration as a massive part of Britains decline being an immigrant here in Oz myself, but I have to admit that I felt intimidated and frightened by the large groups of Eastern European and muslim gangs of men that drifted around the town centre, almost always shouting threats and obscenities when you walked past. I felt like an outsider in my own country, afraid to have the freedom of speech in case anyone from an ethnic or diverse background was offended, well sorry, but I was offended by the constant abuse from muslim men spitting and slurring at women in the streets in Wakefield and by the fact that churches were not allowed to fly the St George flag in case it offended other groups. It bacame an issue at work when we had to conduct visits in pairs to certain communities as it was deemed too dangerous for HV's to conduct mum and baby health checks independently!

The massive bonuses for us apart from the obvious weather and scenery are that our children are happier and healthier than they have ever been and we have a wondeful lifestyle that could not even come close to being replicated in the UK.

Would we ever go back? Never say never as sometimes personal circumstances change, but for now and the long term plan......we are home in Australia!!!!!!

We left England because we wanted to. We were both in very successful jobs and had a comfortable life financially, but we felt that there was something more on offer here for us all as a family.

I hate to blame immigration as a massive part of Britains decline being an immigrant here in Oz myself, but I have to admit that I felt intimidated and frightened by the large groups of Eastern European and muslim gangs of men that drifted around the town centre, almost always shouting threats and obscenities when you walked past. I felt like an outsider in my own country, afraid to have the freedom of speech in case anyone from an ethnic or diverse background was offended, well sorry, but I was offended by the constant abuse from muslim men spitting and slurring at women in the streets in Wakefield and by the fact that churches were not allowed to fly the St George flag in case it offended other groups. It bacame an issue at work when we had to conduct visits in pairs to certain communities as it was deemed too dangerous for HV's to conduct mum and baby health checks independently!

The massive bonuses for us apart from the obvious weather and scenery are that our children are happier and healthier than they have ever been and we have a wondeful lifestyle that could not even come close to being replicated in the UK.

Would we ever go back? Never say never as sometimes personal circumstances change, but for now and the long term plan......we are home in Australia!!!!!!

Wow

Isnt it strange that so many parts of the UK are diffrent i have never in my life heard of anything like this, i know it does happen but it shows you how diffrent life can be!

Guest cornish Busdriver
In no particular order...........

Better future for our daughter...

Better weather - just love the outdoors.

A new challenge - got this in spades and still after nearly 10 years still getting em'

Because we could.

Becoming bored and dissatisfied with the UK in general.

UK lack of control on immigration and some of the political correctness due to it that I've experienced.

A better quality of life in general here- something you can't put a financial finger on.

The Australian people and culture.

Ermmmmmmmm that's it for now.:biglaugh:

Hit the nail on the head Tyke apart from the daughter, we dont have kids.

Wow

Isnt it strange that so many parts of the UK are diffrent i have never in my life heard of anything like this, i know it does happen but it shows you how diffrent life can be!

Yes, you don't necessarily need to leave the UK to find some of the things you may want from life, just move to a different part (& stop reading the Daily Mail/Express/Sun etc). You still won't get much sunshine though.

We have come here for a chance to live, work & experience another country. Open minded with no long term plans. Seeing things for what they are both here & in UK, taking the rough with the smooth & just wanting to enjoy life wherever we are. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We moved from the UK.........for a safer life for our children!! We had kept them locked up long enough......darent let them venture out with friends at night and defo not at the weekends!!!!

Aussie life is more family based........feels safer and the bonus of a bit of sunshine helps along the way!

:jiggy:All four of our offspring have settled in very quickly.............and they are our inspiration to just get on with it and appreciate what Adelaide has to offer!

Guest Stacey

Hi

Andy and I backpacked for a year in 2000 and fell in love with Australia. We knew we were coming back it just took a while.

We only visited Adelaide for a few days on our trip and honestly it wouldn't have been our first choice of destination but visa requirements brought us here and after 2 and a half years we are both so glad they did and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

We love our lives here, we do a lot more outdoor activities and have a far better social life than we did in the UK, the weather certainly helps though I have to say.

I remember on Sundays in the UK just being bored and waiting to go back to work on Monday whereas here in the summer I spend the day on the beach with friends followed by a BBQ I certainly don't get the Sunday blues anymore!!

I think it's just a far better quality of life and not so "uptight" if that's the right word. My mum was here recently and was amused by the swearing on the radio etc, although that's not always a good thing it's just the general laid backness of it all which is appealing.

We don't have kids at the moment but this was certainly a consideration for us in the fact that having travelled here we knew that as kids we would have much prefered to grow up with a beautiful beach on our doorsteps and more than 2 weeks a year of sun so would like to give our kids that life.

Everyone is different but we certainly prefer our life here to the UK and although we do miss everyone in England we know this is the best option for us.

Stacey

x

We wanted a family adventure, we were always thinking about the possibilities of emigrating and my gran used to come to Oz for a few months every year as her brothers and sister were living here, and listening to her say she'd love to emigrate but couldn't leave the rest of the family.

We considered Canada (as we loved it on holls) but seemed more complicated for Visas.

We decided to take the plunge and were aiming at 2-5 years and then decide stay or go back, and one year in and we all definately prefer life in Oz, so much more for the children to do.

Back in Wales my oldest teenager used to sit in her b/room most of the time because apart from cinema and shopping in Swansea nothing else to do as the weather doesnt help.

Here she's on the train or bus into the City, catches a tram to the beach with her friends, she's always out hanging about in different shopping malls, involved in loads of school projects , she got lead part in school play which she would never have put herself up for b4.

My younger children are always playing in the garden, my two year old has never had so much freedom to play outside.

We still miss home a little bit obviously and family/work colleagues but not the country itself, and with modern technology we havnt really missed family as much as we thought we would, not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

Thanks for your reply. I think the laid back atmosphere is good but if kids grow up being too laid back they will not be sharp or competitive enough to compete for jobs should they travel outside SA. I 'work' in sport with lots of SA guys aged 18-30, lovely people, very laid back, never on time etc. Would i give them a job....not very likely. When you have kids please remember that the qualifications they receive in SA are not well regarded elsewhere in Oz. If they apply for a job in Sydney their application will be at the bottom of the pack with the others from SA. That's not very pretty reading I know but its fact.

Careful Julia ! You may get slammed on here for saying those "true" things ! Our main reasons are those you state and the "weather" !!

There are do gooders on here that dont like it if you say you dont like the "invasion" of the UK. the "loss" of British identity ! its sad too see the country our grandfather fought for go to the "dogs"

I too would never say never go back to UK, but if I can afford it I would go to the scottish coast or the south cornwall/devon coast, never back to Lancashire !

The race riots are quite frequent now I notice on the BBC news website, very sad.

Good day to you all and watch out for the flack !! lol

:notworthy:

Careful Julia ! You may get slammed on here for saying those "true" things ! Our main reasons are those you state and the "weather" !!

There are do gooders on here that dont like it if you say you dont like the "invasion" of the UK. the "loss" of British identity ! its sad too see the country our grandfather fought for go to the "dogs"

I too would never say never go back to UK, but if I can afford it I would go to the scottish coast or the south cornwall/devon coast, never back to Lancashire !

The race riots are quite frequent now I notice on the BBC news website, very sad.

Good day to you all and watch out for the flack !! lol

:notworthy:

Do-gooders or not people should be allowed to speak their truth on this forum without criticism. Say what you feel that's what it's all about. Good for you. :)

Fed up with being treated as a second class citizen in the country stated on my Passport.

Thoe more you put into the system the less you get, the less you put in the more you get.

Because we could.

I love my kids and fell they should be given the best chance of making something of thier lives.

New adventure and new beginnings.

The yUK is beautiful but it and its citizens are being raped, pillaged and robbed by the government/society.

And its s**t over there.

HG

We came in 2005, loved Brissie, Gold Coast & Sydney:cute:.

Decided we wanted to make a new life down under for our children, who were both happy to live here. Our reason the children, weather, beaches, lifestyle.

Spoke to the agency etc & got our visa in April 2007, arrived in Adelaide 2007.

Visa restrictions brought us to SA but have no regrets, we now have PR.

Kids love it here. We went back last Aug, saw everything we left behind.

We definitely made the right decision, love England & always will but not to live.