thinking of moving to adelaide

Guest raynornina

Guest raynornina

we have been thinking of moving for a few year now, and having just had our little girl, now 1 we think we should make a start. has anyone just moved there who we can chat too. we want to know more about it. thanks raynornina

Hi rynornina,

We are still within the process of trying to get to Adelaide, just waiting on the nod for police checks and medicals, then hopefully get our visa in our hands.

We like many others on the forum have been to Adelaide for a look. It's great, the lifestyle for enjoying the outdoors is worth going for alone. House prices are much the same as here but you do tend to get a lot more to show for your money, dependant on the area you choose.

We looked around a lot of new build properties in the display villages and it is really quite amazing how little it would cost you to build from scratch, you just have to find the land in the area and at your budget.

The beaches are like a postcard and the sunsets will take your breath away.

Everyone who we met were really friendly and as soon as someone hears an accent that brings memories flooding back, they will just come up and talk to you in the supermarket, bank, walking in the street!

Jobs are easy enough to find providing you want to work, a lot of the jobs are temporary though, unless you are on the modl. But I spoke with a recruitment agency and they basically said that once you get a start with a company and you do your job then there is plenty of scope for permanent employment.

Schooling varies from area to area, a bit like here, there are a number of private schools, which are definately not as costly! They also work a year behind compared to here.

We spoke with a financial advisor regarding mortgages and this is the information we got (all are providing you are in full time/permanent employment):-

you can get a mortgage from Commonwealth Bank in one day.

If you wait 12 weeks more companies come on board wanting your money and if you wait for 6 months they all want to do business with you. the mortgages are similar to here with interest only, interest & capital, savings offset, but they also have one where you can pay in extra and take it back out again when you need it.

Don't get anything on credit before you apply for your mortgage as they are not interested on whether or not you actually bought anything or just enquired, if it is on your australian credit report and they just see a few company names on there, they can't be bothered investigating it further and can turn you down even although you may not have any debt. You can get your mortgage sorted up front so that you know your limit when buying a house.

Although a lot of us on the PIA aren't quite there yet, just ask any questions and I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for.

Hope this little bit helps.

Good Luck

Hi there,

sorry, I forgot to mention furniture costing, I thought this was quite funny:-

I was visiting my cousin and was asking a million and one questions and one of them was about furnishing a property. My cousin got really excited and said that they have this new shop opened up, it's huge and has everything you will ever need..............IKEA!

I had never met anybody that got soooo excited over IKEA!

see ya

Guest Guzzler&Sas

welcome to PIA

there is heaps of info on here, so ask away - don't be embarressed about the question, no doubt, it has been asked before. we were completely addicted to these sorts of sites whilst still in the UK and now we are here, want to help out with others on their way out.

once we had our first child, we decided that the UK was NOT the place we wanted to bring up a family.

good luck

Sas

Guest raynornina
welcome to PIA

there is heaps of info on here, so ask away - don't be embarressed about the question, no doubt, it has been asked before. we were completely addicted to these sorts of sites whilst still in the UK and now we are here, want to help out with others on their way out.

once we had our first child, we decided that the UK was NOT the place we wanted to bring up a family.

good luck

Sas

** that is the reason we have finely decided to make a move, we dont thing the uk is a good place to bring a child up.**

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

We have only been on this forum for a few weeks compared to others!

We have been lucky to secure a job for hubby before we venture out there.

We have never been to Adelaide, though at times this scares me, I have decided to seize the moment - nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. I would agree it is definately the lifestyle we are going for.

I do know friends who went over to Perth on the August bank holiday - neither of them had jobs to go to and had young children - for me that was a little too impulsive. I am a planner and couldn't just go without the security of a job.

I am going to wait to find myself a job - once our 8yr old is settled at school - as long as he is earning then we can afford to wait and live off the profit in the house - provided we sell it!!!!

Have a look at hubby's auto -sig this gives you an idea of how long its taken us so far - not long at all which is frightening - hoping to be in Adelaide in the new year ready for the new school term if things go right for us!

i am a planner too!!

been in uk for 5 years, now working for gerald eve

may i ask who you will be working for!!

feel free to pm me if you have any questions, although mu SA DC knowledge is now a bit rusty!!!

feeling stupid - just re-read your post and realised you did not mean you are a town planner:goofy:

oh well, if there are any town planners wanting to move to adelaide feel assured that there is plenty of work at the moment

Guest dglamoore

Hi Raynornina and welcome to the forum :v_SPIN:

We have a 5 year old little girl and she was the main reason we moved to Adelaide and it was definitely the right choice so far!! We have been here nearly 5 months now so any questions ask away and if I can help I will.

Lisa:wubclub:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

we always talked about living overseas from about 1998 onwards, everytime we went on holiday we thought, we could live here. Then we looked into it, decided too many forms to fill in and cooled off - Canada was our first choice, then the States, then NZ and for one reason or another we ruled them all out. I could go into detail but perhaps that is another thread - might start on off later!

Really got series about it at Easter 2005 and got stuck in and moved out here in June 2006, did not do a reccie trip here though, just decided to take the plunge.

Good luck ...

Regs

Sas