Approx cost of shipping a large labrador

Guest Andrew Family

Guest Andrew Family

We have a large black labrador and was wondering if anyone would share the cost of shipping a pet of similar size over e.g. shipping, internal transfer from oz airport to adelaide and kennels costs.

Really appreciated as we have been quoted quite high figures.

Dawn

Guest JayBone

We have a labby, not so chunky, but it goes on dimensions rather than weight, and she is quite tall.

We have been quoted between 2.5k and 4k.

We are going with Golden Arrow shippers, they were our first choice and luckily the cheapest too.

Guest JayBone

Oh yeah and quarantine is about $800 payable direct to the quarantine station, and i recommened getting a pet passport from the UK at a cost of about 100gbp, it means that if you have to return your pooch wont need to go in quarantine in UK, they need a rabies jab to get the passport and a blood test, all for 100gbp (ish) speak to your vet about it, ours just had jabs yesterday.

Make sure your dog does not have the 'Leptospirosis' injection as you cant import them until this has worn off.

Our Big Black Lab was 42kg when we shipped him over with Airpets last year, they were brilliant. We got several quotes from 2k to 2.5k (Airpets) but when we really looked into what they do then you end up paying the same roughly. Ie, some places do IT ALL for you and others only do part of it. We still paid the kennel costs on top of that and an extra $400 to have him flown here from Melbourne but Airpets were great, they emailed everyday from Melbourne to let us know how he was. To be honest when I see him swimming in the sea I think it was all worth while and it really helped the kids settle having him here, then there are the days when he drives me mad and I look at him and wonder what we would have done with that extra $6,000.00 !! Bloody dogs.

Guest Andrew Family

As much as I love our dog, and believe me I do. The prices that are being quoted are making me debate the amount of money to ship against the heartache of leaving him and how that much money could make the first few months easier. It is so difficult when he looks at me with those big brown eyes and as you say, the kids would really miss him and it could make their transition easier but they are only 3 and 5 so as long as we keep them busy it would probably be ok.

Guest guest569

Feel free to shoot me down for being honest and i know its easy for me to say but i would personally find him a good hom back in the Uk before you leave !!! . The costs are silly and worse when you convert and live in $$. It will also be hard to get a rental with pets allowed to starting your new lives will be harder and more stressfull than a normal migration .

Give it six months when you are settled and let your kids chose a new puppy or something ??

Sorry. No bad feelings intended !!!:wubclub:

Pets are for life..........

We bought our dog over with us and I have to say hand on heart it was definately the RIGHT decision. He is part of our family and our children would never have forgiven us if we did not bring him ( and I don't think I would have settled here without him ). Our dog has a great life here and is so much a big part of our family.

As far as rentals go we had no problem securing one so don't be put off. We even offered a higher bond on our rental but the owners said no.

You can save some money too on getting your local Vet to do the paper work and blood test etc.

It was about 2 yrs ago when we had our dog flown over from Melbourne Quarntine Kennels and we we paid less than $200. Check with Spotswood Kennels in Melbourne, they can give you a list of Airlines than will ship them over.

Guest lippy

We did both - rehomed 3 and brought 1 with us. We never had a problem renting and never offered a higher bond because of the dog - she was however supposed to stay outside. Rehoming isn't an easy decision, but it has to be your own and only yours, if you aren't to regret it. In total including all jags, removal of endorsements on her pedigree (she wasn't supposed to be exported) and an export pedigree from the kennel club, flights and boarding fees it cost approx #3500 - would we do it again? Probably........

Guest mimasawrus

Hi, We arrived in October 2009 and we brought 3 dogs with us a disabled dachshund an old greyhound and a young Jack Russell. I love them so much they are part of our family. As you can imagine it was not cheap it cost about 7000 pounds including quarantine, but without them here I dont think I would have settled so quickly, they really make it seem like home. I know it is expensive and stressful but it is sometimes difficult for people to settle when they first get here so having the familiar things you love will help. I am only speaking from my experience as a dog lover. We used a company called Petair. I hope you make the right decision for you and good luck with your adventure