Why do it?

Guest ladybird

Guest ladybird

Hi, We've been having a few soul searching sessions and i've been digging deep in order to pinpoint why it is i want to move to oz.

I've been assessing our life here and actually i really like our life here, we seem to be in a good place right now and actually settled. We have two gorgeous girls and the oldest is really settled and happy at preschool and will start school there in september. The other is already on the waiting lists for the same place.

In terms of work i've finally got to be exactly where i want after 7 years and i'm excited about it and looking forward to going back after maternity leave! Although i'll miss my little babe enourmously!

Hubby is getting sorted on the work front and is feeling much happier and like things are working out.

We have two houses here and have finally given up trying to sell one and have found a tenant who loves it, looks after it and wants to stay forever.

I finally have friends rather than just people i know here and am quite enjoying regular meet ups for coffee and cake and lunch as you do. My family is scattered all over the uk so it means we have great weekends away visiting and its cheap lol

So life seems pretty much perfect and settled so why do i want to uproot everyone and take us to the other side of the world where we'd have to start again in every single way? Hmmm right now i'm not sure i can answer that one.

Perhaps these feelings are part of the process of making such huge life changing decisions? Does/did anyone else feel like this???:sad:

Guest Murphy642

Oh my lord, you sound like you are in exactly the same position as me!

We got our visas last month even tho we were told 2012. We were shocked and thought long and hard if we still want to go cos we were mentally prepared for 2012. I have returned to work from maternity, my oldest is at a great school, husband has finally got a job he enjoys and we have great neighbours who have now become fantastic friends.

We are really torn and wonder if we are making the right decision to go but nothing ventured, nothing gained. We can always return if after a couple years we are not enjoying it!

Let me know how you get on

Guest emmaandlee

We fly out in just under 2 weeks, and we have had so many second thoughts...

On paper we have a really nice life in the UK - Good job, nice cars, nice house etc... However, I have severe itchy feet syndrome!!! If I don't make the move now then we might never find the courage again.;)

Its a big decision, but now the time is finally here, its amazing how excited I am at starting a new life. After breaking my wrist on the ice this Christmas, I am glad to see the back of the cold winters!:arghh:

Everyone is in a different situation, but you have to question the real factors that are driving the move. For me, its just a huge force telling me to move away from the UK and try something new!!

Hi, We've been having a few soul searching sessions and i've been digging deep in order to pinpoint why it is i want to move to oz.

I've been assessing our life here and actually i really like our life here, we seem to be in a good place right now and actually settled. We have two gorgeous girls and the oldest is really settled and happy at preschool and will start school there in september. The other is already on the waiting lists for the same place.

In terms of work i've finally got to be exactly where i want after 7 years and i'm excited about it and looking forward to going back after maternity leave! Although i'll miss my little babe enourmously!

Hubby is getting sorted on the work front and is feeling much happier and like things are working out.

We have two houses here and have finally given up trying to sell one and have found a tenant who loves it, looks after it and wants to stay forever.

I finally have friends rather than just people i know here and am quite enjoying regular meet ups for coffee and cake and lunch as you do. My family is scattered all over the uk so it means we have great weekends away visiting and its cheap lol

So life seems pretty much perfect and settled so why do i want to uproot everyone and take us to the other side of the world where we'd have to start again in every single way? Hmmm right now i'm not sure i can answer that one.

Perhaps these feelings are part of the process of making such huge life changing decisions? Does/did anyone else feel like this???:sad:

I've been in Adelaide for 4 years and my advise is that the weather is great but other than that I think the Uk is better in many ways. I know lots of people on this forum with their own adjendas feel they neeed to justify being here by rubbishing the UK but your life sounds really good. I'm not going to say stay in the UK but why uproot and come here to start again when all is good there? Given the exchange rate I would seriously reconsider your thoughts on moving. Many people won't like what I have written here.

Good luck.:)

I've been in Adelaide for 4 years and my advise is that the weather is great but other than that I think the Uk is better in many ways. I know lots of people on this forum with their own adjendas feel they neeed to justify being here by rubbishing the UK but your life sounds really good. I'm not going to say stay in the UK but why uproot and come here to start again when all is good there? Given the exchange rate I would seriously reconsider your thoughts on moving. Many people won't like what I have written here.

Totally agree. If life is good in the UK, why leave it?

Hi

We were in a similar position too happy and family but did not see them a lot husband was happy and I had a very good network of friends. I have had the oppotunity to change my career direction here and I think I may have done the same in the uk.

However we were ready to try something new and wanted an adventure also did not want to look back in 10 years time and say why did we not try it?

The kids are still young and easier to make the change whilst they are young. Yes your life is good but there is no harm in trying it.

I have never been in the camp "running away from the uk" just wanted to see what an Aussie life would be like. I am scared of spiders in a big way and still flinch at the slightest dark thing in the house even tough I have no need to :arghh:

All I can say is you have to do what is right for you and your family. Good lukc with what ever you decide.

Michelle

If you already have your visas, why not do a validation trip, then it gives you a few years to make a final decision?

Personally in your situation I probably would stay in the UK, but if doing that would mean that a couple of years down the line when your original reasons for wanting to come are stronger again, you would be too old/unable to get a visa/whatever, then keep your options open.

The grass isn't necessarily always greener, but I presume at some point you felt it would be, so don't close any doors that can't be opened again!

We had a very comfortable life in The UK, and things were fine if not a little boring at times, mainly due to the weather restricting things....

We gave up everything and came here and......life is even better, less stressful, fantastic weather which after 2 years still makes me smile, have made really good mates and our social life has gone through the roof.....But you never know do you!

It could far exceed your wishes...on the other hand you might regret you ever came!!!!

Give it a go or you will regret it!

It's a brilliant place to be!

Simon:)

Guest kangomik

I agree with Diane, Validate and the option is there.

Look at the reasons why you first started the process, if these have changed then re-assess.

You sound like you have a really good life in Blighty, i would be thinking hard.

This is not the land of milk and honey, the streets are not paved with gold, and to the surprise of many of my friends, you do have to work, and you do not spend all day sun bathing by a pool:arghh:

Nothing wrong in voicing your opinion in a reasonable way. I love the UK but have always wanted to move here, probably as I grew up in a beach lifestyle in HK. I love it here as does my wife and our children. I agree that it's far from perfect here but some of that comes from the the Australians being very laid back.

OP, I agree with some of the others saying opt for validation trip. It's not the same as living here but at least you get a sample and some time after to make up your mind. I would say if you feel that life is flowing so well for you in the UK, then if you hit any turbulence when here, that could make it hard.

All the best,

Cooler

Guest BAZnDAF

We Validated our visa last October as we weren't ready to move. For the last 2 years we have done nothing but try and save money, We also have good jobs and decent pay, but we still want to move. I still need to do a few things on the house before getting it on the market, but as most of these jobs are outsite they have been left due to the severe winter we've had. Sometimes I do wonder if its a good idea moving to the other side of the world, and wonder if its the right thing to do, as one of my daughters does not have a visa so cannot come, but she is 23, so her life is in her hands now.

But the house will still get sold and we will be moving.

We all have doubts at some point. But personally we could not go on with out trying, but thats just the type of people we are.

In the end, only you know what you should do.

Guest ladybird

Thanks for all the comments. We have been to oz twice for a month at a time in 2005 and 2007 and our English friends live in Perth so i think we have a good idea what oz is like. I think the validate option is a good one but its getting everything sorted and finding the money for all that and then saving again to go if we do decide to go.

It's all swings and roundabouts isn't it! Since we first went in 2005 this is the third time we've looked into things and each time we take it a step forward so maybe one day we'll be brave enough or maybe there'll come a time when it just becomes the right time.

As i'm a midwife and only 31 i probably have time on my side to make such decisions so we'll see and i'll keep researching bit by bit. Thanks again to all who've replied xxx

Guest vicbob

Know the feeling. Did a reccie last month, and i think it raised as many questions as it answered. Exchange rate really isn't helping the situation, we noticed how expensive everything is compared with 2 years ago. Not having as much money to start with as we originally thought may be the deciding factor. The missus' is reluctant to give everything we have here up, just to maybe struggle over there.

Me, well within 2 days i was missing the sun and the sea. Maybe the right decision now, but i have a nasty feeling we may regret not givin it a go.

Guest calamitycaz

I validated 4 years ago, now we are flying in December - I'm also a midwife and from what I've heard the job can be very different from the UK (maybe just heresay but I was told it's mainly Obstetric led care in Oz) but I'm fed up with my kids having a poor qulaity childhood in terms of weather and environment, and still want to give them more of an outdorr life.

As your kids get older and more 'outdoors-ey' you may know what I mean! Good luck with your decision, whatever you choose,

Caz x