collecting new 887 visa

Beanbear

:arghh::arghh:

Well Australian beaurocracy does it again! Went down to the immigration office to collect the visas having got our perm res back in February, joined the queue (the only way in, youhave to first speak to a receptionist), waited an hour (only two staff manning the reception! Eventually got to the front and told her why I was there, to be told that they have pretty much done away with labels in passports now and I couldn't have one unless we had flights booked to certain os destinations!

I asked in quite disgruntled tones why they couldn't have a sign at the start of the queue to let you know about this recent change - "Yess, that's a good idea, I'll suggest it." she said - grrrr.

So the upshot is don't bother going in for this purpose, apparently the email letter will suffice for all purposes.

yep did this to me on Monday... lovely day off work for both of us.. quick breaky in the city, got to immigration about 10ish stood in a long queue, got to the counter at just after 11am and the guy behind the counter shouted out to the rest of the queue.."if anyone is waiting to have labels in there passports, we only do it between 9am-11am"... was we p***ed off...then off to medicare, they said i need a label i said immi aint giving them out anymore and she also had a good moan about them, but gave us new perm cards in the end.... anyway next day got there 9am to be told i didn't need one... so i kicked up a fuss and told him i had lost two days pay to come here (as instructed by my email from them) to come and get a label in, he said they don't have that many labels and are only giving them out to people who are traveling out of the country....i said i am booking a trip back to the uk so i will need one... he said" i need to come back when i have the tickets"... at this point i started to explode..:arghh:. he then said because they hadn't updated there emails and it still states i needed to go and get my visa evidenced in my passport he would put them in for us and thankfully we now have them...

Guest soggy

Hi,

When I went for mine a few weeks ago the man on reception did tell me about this but I told them I was planning a trip to China and this was one of the countries that you still need a visa for, the other being India. if you want a visa tell them that your going to one of those countries, it may help.

Simon:)

Hi,

When I went for mine a few weeks ago the man on reception did tell me about this but I told them I was planning a trip to China and this was one of the countries that you still need a visa for, the other being India. if you want a visa tell them that your going to one of those countries, it may help.

Simon:)

They wouldn't let me have one unless I had flight tickets with me! The woman was adamant that I wouldn't have any further problems, but can't help thinking that it would be better to have those stickers as evidence, and would have been nice to have them as the final part of our hard-won process.

We got our PR yesterday and have been told not to get a label, not too bothered about that but interested to read about the medicare card, do I need to go and get a different one now? Didnt even cross my mind?

yep you are entitled to full medicare, but take your visa paperwork & passport with you (and expect a moan from them that you don't have a sticker)...

yep you are entitled to full medicare, but take your visa paperwork & passport with you (and expect a moan from them that you don't have a sticker)...

Thanks Tina, Ill do that on Monday, anything else to do? I have already visited the centerlink office for all my child benefits! Can't wait for that. Can't believe I didn't even think about Medicare, too busy celebrating.

Guest karen123

can you tell me how long it took you to get pr from logdement to receiving it we have now been waiting 18 months and can not get any answers as to how long it will take

as

:arghh::arghh:

Well Australian beaurocracy does it again! Went down to the immigration office to collect the visas having got our perm res back in February, joined the queue (the only way in, youhave to first speak to a receptionist), waited an hour (only two staff manning the reception! Eventually got to the front and told her why I was there, to be told that they have pretty much done away with labels in passports now and I couldn't have one unless we had flights booked to certain os destinations!

I asked in quite disgruntled tones why they couldn't have a sign at the start of the queue to let you know about this recent change - "Yess, that's a good idea, I'll suggest it." she said - grrrr.

So the upshot is don't bother going in for this purpose, apparently the email letter will suffice for all purposes.

Guest soggy
can you tell me how long it took you to get pr from logdement to receiving it we have now been waiting 18 months and can not get any answers as to how long it will take

as

Hi,

are you in Australia or UK, what visa did you apply for, what trade/qualifiacations are you using? it will be difficult to even take a guess without this information.:)

Simon