Student Loan

Guest veeba

Guest veeba

Hi,

i have just migrated to OZ. i have been here since 1st feb 10.

I received a letter from the student loan company wanting to know my where abouts as i have not been paying any tax in the UK.

They have asked me to fill in there form and tell them where i am.

Do i really have to do this? Will it effect me if i dont?

Do people that migrate to OZ have to pay off there student loan?

Thank youin advance for your help.

Hi,

i have just migrated to OZ. i have been here since 1st feb 10.

I received a letter from the student loan company wanting to know my where abouts as i have not been paying any tax in the UK.

They have asked me to fill in there form and tell them where i am.

Do i really have to do this? Will it effect me if i dont?

Thank youin advance for your help.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/money-finance/14526-student-loan.html

Cooler

Guest kangomik

could you loan me a few thousand dollars...... if i leave will it be ok if i don't pay you back:nah:

This will go along the same lines as a previous thread i guess but i really am surprised such a question is asked.

I mean why would you need to pay it back.... that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it, imagine the students after you that don't have the funding you had!

could you loan me a few thousand dollars...... if i leave will it be ok if i don't pay you back:nah:

This will go along the same lines as a previous thread i guess but i really am surprised such a question is asked.

I mean why would you need to pay it back.... that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it, imagine the students after you that don't have the funding you had!

This thread will go the way the other thread did when people make comments like you have.....:dull:

The OP was asking a valid question in my opinion, he may have thought the rules right have been different.

I dnt recall the OP saying i have this much student debt, and am thinking of moving to OZ and NOT repaying it did they ?

If you have no genuine input into a post then best not to post, for fear of it turning into one of THOSE posts eh !!!!

HG

Guest Stacey

Hi Veeba

Unfortunately you do have to complete the form. I continued paying my student loan for over two years while in Oz and finally managed to pay it off in January.

If you declare on the form what you are earning etc they will calculate what you owe each month and to be honest it never seems to be that much. Certainly when I did it, if you didn't declare there was an automatic default amount of around 246 GBP a month so you're certainly better off declaring your full position.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Stacey

x

Guest allie
but i really am surprised such a question is asked.

I am really glad that this question has been asked!! I had no idea that you had to keep paying when you were out of the country as I have never had so much as a letter from them. The money was deducted from my wages every month and it honestly never occurred to me that I had to send off a form when we left! Feel a bit bloody stupid now but will get on the case ASAP as i really dont want them chasing me for it!

Thank you to the OP for being far more savvy than I am!

Irrespective of whether the question was a valid one or not, the person should have contacted the student loans company to ascertain what the correct procedure is when moving abroad. Much better to get it from the horses mouth where finances are concerned.

I only found out by chance as they sent a statement and our post was being redirected. I think most people forget about it after a while especially if like me you have not worked for a while with having kids.

This is what the forum is for to see what other people are doing etc and bounce idea of each other and find out who they should be contacting.

I have filled in the form and will continue to do so every 12mths, can't see me paying it off any time soon as I now owe more than i borrowed :realmad:

Guest kangomik

you have your views, i have mine.

"do i really have to do this....."

No you don't really...... you should have already told them, but thats only my view