Please Help

Guest Jane & Tony

Guest Jane & Tony

My husband and myself got our visa two years ago. We had two houses to sell and the exchange rate was bouyant.

Since then the market has crashed we have sold one house at a 20000 loss and the other is now on the market at 25000 less than it was.

This means we will only have about 10000 pounds to start again and we also have two small dogs to take.

The question is, is that enough to start again and what is the cost of taking two dogs? If the cost is too high they will have to find new homes and we will be absolutely heartbroken as they are a real part of our family.

Someone please help, everything seems to be going against us.

My OH has lost his job twice in 18 months and I was made redundant from a good job 18 months ago ( I only have 16 hours at low pay now).

I just keep thinking we can't be any worse off in Oz surely?? :confused:

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI Jane and Tony, I think the key to success over here is to find that good payed job , How long that will take is hard to say . I am sure that none of us over here has found it easy , but it's better to try than not ! . What line of work are you guys in ? . You will need to find accomodation , are you bringing your own furinture? , as for the money , the problem is second hand cars are expensive . I know that people say it is expensive to bring thier pets over , so it's up to you ? but for all the hard work you put in , in the first couple of years is worth it , it is so nice here , I hope you guys make it , so all the best Paul .

Guest cornish Busdriver

Oh hell thats a bit of a kicker.

To be honest 10K would be cutting it extreamly tight even without the 2 dogs unless you already have jobs to come out to.

There are people here thats come out with less but it will be tough.

Think it cost in total about 3.5K to bring our 2 westies out but if we couldnt bring them we wouldnt have come, it was bad enough having to leave my parrot of 10yrs behind even though he went back to the breader and is being use for that purpose now so he's really happy.

My husband and myself got our visa two years ago. We had two houses to sell and the exchange rate was bouyant.

Since then the market has crashed we have sold one house at a 20000 loss and the other is now on the market at 25000 less than it was.

This means we will only have about 10000 pounds to start again and we also have two small dogs to take.

The question is, is that enough to start again and what is the cost of taking two dogs? If the cost is too high they will have to find new homes and we will be absolutely heartbroken as they are a real part of our family.

Someone please help, everything seems to be going against us.

My OH has lost his job twice in 18 months and I was made redundant from a good job 18 months ago ( I only have 16 hours at low pay now).

I just keep thinking we can't be any worse off in Oz surely?? :confused:

We came here without a big stash of cash and worked bloody hard to get where we are right now.....its has taken a good 2 years to slow doen from hitting the ground running.

werer at a little jog right now....

To come with that sort of money would be very hard....

HG

Hi I have a collie x and a burnese mountain dog x (though smaller than a german shep) and we've been quoted £5k to bring them over inc all fees other than vets (need to be microchipped & latest vaccinations).

We're not coming over with a great deal of cash, although I do have a job offer so that makes it less of a worry. We know we're gonna start at the bottom, but it will be worth working our way through.

Hope it works out for you x

Hi Jane & Tony,

We are in the same position just accepted an offer on our house which has left us with only £10,000 to come out with, we have also just rehomed our little working cocker spaniel :sad: as we can not afford to bring her she has gone to live with a Gamekeeper so will be in her element. We know £10,000 is very little and it will be hard but we've waited so long for this also that we're going to give it a go and hope that it works for us.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Jo

Hi Jane & Tony,

We are in the same position just accepted an offer on our house which has left us with only £10,000 to come out with, we have also just rehomed our little working cocker spaniel :sad: as we can not afford to bring her she has gone to live with a Gamekeeper so will be in her element. We know £10,000 is very little and it will be hard but we've waited so long for this also that we're going to give it a go and hope that it works for us.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Jo

Sad about your dog, but at least you found a good home for her!

But, congratulations on the sale of your house! Best wishes on the process :wubclub:

Have you decided when you will make the move?

Hi,

It was sad but she will be much better off at her new home he has 16 other dogs and he is going to work her so she'll get plenty excersise. We phoned 2 days after she went to see how she was getting on and he said she's picking up his commands really quick and showing lots of potential.

Just had the official offer through this afternoon and the entry date they have stated is 30 June so we will move in with my dad for 4-5 weeks to tie things up here and then off we go. Until missives are signed I'm still not going to get too excited as we have had two offers previously that have fallen through.

My head is spinning already at the thought of all the things that need arranging and with baby brain its not easy :biglaugh:.

I see you have a job offer that must take a bit of the pressure off. When are you hoping to go?

Jo

Sad about your dog, but at least you found a good home for her!

But, congratulations on the sale of your house! Best wishes on the process :wubclub:

Have you decided when you will make the move?

Hi Jo

Bet she's loving it! Bless. You made a good choice, though hard.

Indeed, things are never certain when it comes to selling :(

We've just put our house on the market, I'm waiting to hear full details of the job offer (fingers x this week!) as they may be able to help with the move which will be another weight off my mind! :)

With that said it may be a few months, next year or a few years in the making!!! Who knows...

Baby brain!! You know it's a fact!?? Said so in the papers only a few weeks ago! ;)

sadly I'm still suffering from that...my daughter is 7! lol

Best wishes Von x

Hi there Jane and Tony,

I agree that ten grand is cutting it fine..but,

Our daughter is 21 and has been here for 3 years. Her hubby is a chippie too. He worked at Jag kitchens (well known here), and she got herself a Mac job. They have bought a great little house in Port Noarlunga and he now works for himself (loads of work!).

Do you have kids?

What visa do you have? Is it a permanent resident visa? If so...you would get rent assistance and family assistance for the children. Every bit helps.

Regards.

Tamara

I guess the general consensus is that it can be done but it will be quite hard for while.

Try and do as much as you can before you leave the UK, line up job interviews etc etc...make a list of what needs to be done and in what priority order.

Use and abuse this place as much as you can gather info, and even try and set up some gear to beg,steal or borrow for when you get here.

There is and has been alot of folk in a similar situation, but the guys on here will always be here to help and offer some advice.

HG

Guest Jane & Tony

A really BIG THANKS to all of you.

We do have a residency via, no kids.

I will try to line up interviews and a rental before we come over. My sis-inlaw said she will have a lookm at any houses that we like the look of. (She ihas lived in Adl for 17 tears)

We really cannot give up the dream. I think we would really regret it if we did'nt try. After all I think there is a reason for everything and so a reason why we got our visa!

Guest Django

Martin has hit the nail on the head regarding the job. We came with just under half the money you reckon you will have. We had no dogs but 4 children (now 5) BUT Tracey had a job to start two and a half weeks after we landed.

So it is possible as we and others are proof of that. We watched every cent to begin with but 19 months down the line we are better off financially then we ever were in the UK.

Good luck

Guest kelv&haley

we came here six months ago now with $14000 and three kids,no job offer and knowing nobody,but watched our budget really well and stretched it to include car,deposit on rental and essential household items cos we only came with our suitcases. i was very stressed as we didnt have a back up plan and it had to work,and it did,my oh went around all the building site gathering numbers and got a job brickying after 10 days,it is tough initially,we too suffered the recession that hit the uk,oh lost his job and we couldnt sell our house for a decent price so have left it there with tenants in it,we are just hoping the uk market picks up soon to enable us to sell.

basically we felt it was such a tough long time trying to get the visa that to not come was not an option,we wanted it and we'd been given the chance,just be prepared to hit the ground running,good luck,haley

Guest Kelly pj

Django you are living proof it can work!! Its about hard work and determination, I wouldnt want to give up the chance to try it either, its better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all, nothing ventured nothing gained or so they say!! We also arent coming out with a lot of money as we are renting our house out in Wales for the time being. We dont have any pets but have 2 children under 7, we have sent our shipping (125cubic feet) the rest we will buy bit by bit over in Adelaide. I think there are lots of people in similar situations. I think lifes not a rehearsel, go for it, but I am a very laid back person and believe u gotta try it and give it 110%!! Good luck with what u decide. (I cant wait 2 get there, 28 days woo hoo!!!)