495 Visa - PR is within reach

Guest wayneandlindsey

Guest wayneandlindsey

Wondered if anyone can help me find out some more info on the 'next stage' of our visa process. We have 6 months to go until we can apply for our PR (after working for 12 months full time and living for 2 years in Adelaide). What we can't seem to find out from the DIAC site is what happens next?

Firstly, do we need to go in and see immigration to apply for PR?

Secondly, does anyone know how long it takes and what processes are involved? Is it a case of producing paperwork or are there further tests to be done?

Thirdly, as we left Oz for a year, we are v close the time limit for fitting in our 2 years. We want to speak to someone personally at the DIAC about our particular situation to clarify we are on track but can't seem to do this - there are no email addresses and when I phone all I get are generic answers.

Thanks so much in advance

:-)

Guest Fly Away

You need to apply for a 887 visa;

Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)

You have 3 years to meet the visa conditions of the 495 however the visa can be extended for a further year if you have not met the conditions (ie your time out of Australia). Perhaps someone else knows how you would go about that if timings are close.

Guest wayneandlindsey

Thanks for this.

All ok with the 3 years and work/live rights. Just wasn's sure what stream of visa we can apply for at the end. Does the 887 PR visa allow you to live anywhere in Oz do you know?

Guest Fly Away
Thanks for this.

All ok with the 3 years and work/live rights. Just wasn's sure what stream of visa we can apply for at the end. Does the 887 PR visa allow you to live anywhere in Oz do you know?

Yes it's a PR visa - once you get it, you can live anywhere. At the moment I think 887 applications are taking about 12 weeks to process. If you do a search you will probably find some posts which will give you a good idea of how long they are taking.

You can apply on line and upload all your documents. I believe this is 'safer' and faster than handing in a paper application but these things can and do change.

SA Immi gave us a good tip for speaking to a DIAC case oficer. Apparently if you book into one of the introductory sessions for new migrants which the SA Immi run, there is always a DIAC case officer there to answer questions in person.

Guest wayneandlindsey

Thanks for the advise and info - that's a great help. I will start looking into it.

Do you know also if staff at Immi SA can help with personal cases?

Thanks again for your help

Guest Fly Away
Thanks for the advise and info - that's a great help. I will start looking into it.

Do you know also if staff at Immi SA can help with personal cases?

Thanks again for your help

I have rung up and spoken to SA Immi and they have always been very helpful, but they can't answer specifics on visa queries. Only the DIAC can tell you some things and their helpline is often ermm not very helpful as you have found. I have spoken to really helpful people but it is just pot luck.

Guest wayneandlindsey

Thanks guys for all your help. And good news on the speed of the 887 visa! I will persist with the Immi SA guys thanks. Would anyine know when is a good time to start the application paperwork? IN kow you can't officially apply until the 2 year date, but is there other things that can be and need to be done, ie. more medicals etc?

Thanks