help

Guest stephanie

Guest stephanie

Hi all i am new to here. just a few questions that some1 can help me with please would be very much appriciated :o.

My partner has just been offered a job as a mental health nurse in adelaide which is great news;). I am going with him on his visa with my 2 year old daughter, we are on the 457 visa and his work are sponsoring us. He will be earning $50,000 a year what tax would we pay on that??? do we have to pay that medi care levy?? are we classed as residents on the visa?? Could we manage just to live off his wage if i didnt work, its just that the childcare is expensive and it would be pointless me working just to pay for childcare.

We are looking into renting accomodation till we get our PR. Where are the best areas to rent and to bring up children, what is the average rent, how much do utillites come to for a family off 3??

Sorry for all the questions

I just dont know where to start

Stephanie

Do you know whereabouts in Adelaide your partners job will be? That will help narrow down your choice of areas a little as presumably he'd rather have time at home with you and your daughter than time spent sat in a car commuting? ;)

Hi there. I too have just been offered a job in Adelaide for mental health nursing. Did you go through OGP? If you are on a temp visa you will have to take out private health insurance (this is now mandatory) and you will not be eligible for any child care assistance until you become permanent residents. Where are you thinking of living? I'm unsure as yet, as not clear where I shall be based. When do you think you will get there? Be good to keep in touch, as looks like we are in a similar position to yourself. I may pursue permanent residency first though, as advised that child care costs will put me at a financial disadvantage ( I have 2 children). All the best with all your plans!!

Hi

We would struggle on 50k a year. My daughter managed for a while on a similar amount but it was hard going.

You are not considered a resident on a 457 visa - I came on one of those and applied for a permanent visa after 3 months (RN). I think now that you may have to wait 6 months.

Really consider whether you would be better off on a permanent visa - you will not have to have private health care and will get tax incentives for children. On a temp visa you will not be able to claim tax relief for child care.

Also, you are tied to a contract with a 457 - can be a problem if you do not like where you work!

Good luck with everything

Catherine