Pet friendly rental accomodation

Guest ste and cheryl

Guest ste and cheryl

Hi guys,

Just a quick question if I may ... Can anyone give any advise moving to adelaide with a dog or recommend any pet friendly rental accommodation ?

She is a very well behaved, house trained 3 year old stafforshire bull terrior! She`s my babe and there`s no chance of us leaving her behind!!

Also any advise on starting the whole process as we`re just gathering information to start it and already we feel bombarded and confused !

Many thanks in advance

Cheryl & Ste

x

Guest WhatNow?

Quick question but a long answer - sorry!

I brought my cat over last year and know several people who have brought dogs over recently.

My advice is that if you can afford it, pay someone else to handle it as you will have enough to worry about. I used Airpets and it cost me £1300 including pickup from my home, holding prior to loading onto the plane, flights, transport to quarantine and quarantine fees. They advised me on vaccination and chipping requirements as my vet (and one other I spoke to) was pretty clueless. Airpets helped me to complete all the paperwork and made it a very stress free experience.

If you are moving to Adelaide, your pet will have to serve its quarantine sentence (30 days) at Spotswood – about 20 mins cab ride from Tullamarine airport. You can pay extra to have it transferred to Adelaide but I flew across and collected my cat. The flight cost me my ticket plus about £25 (yes only £25) for the cat. Pets are booked in as freight and the cost depends on the total weight of the animal and the crate so it’s a good idea to get a lightweight crate and take it with you as the shipping crate is wooden and very heavy. Crates have to be to air freight spec – i.e. must be joined with screws or metal bolts not plastic clips (so they don’t come apart if banged or dropped) and the pet stores all stock them.

You book you pet in at the Tullamarine freight terminal 90 mins before your departure time and they transport and load it for you. I watched them load my cat and they were very careful to not leave the crate in the sun and handled it with respect. By the time I had got across the access road to the Dnata freight terminal at Adelaide, my pet was waiting for me to collect him.

The staff at Spotswood were very friendly and caring – just like at a good boarding kennel and the whole experience was stress free and went smoothly.

As for renting with a dog, I posted on this a few days ago. You can look on www.realestate.com for unfurnished rentals and if you read the complete property descriptions will find that the majority will say ‘No Pets’. Some will say ‘Pets Negotiable’ and this means that they may ask you to pay a higher bond or more than the normal rent.

Hope this helps

Guest angiestaff
Hi guys,

Just a quick question if I may ... Can anyone give any advise moving to adelaide with a dog or recommend any pet friendly rental accommodation ?

She is a very well behaved, house trained 3 year old stafforshire bull terrior! She`s my babe and there`s no chance of us leaving her behind!!

Also any advise on starting the whole process as we`re just gathering information to start it and already we feel bombarded and confused !

Many thanks in advance

Cheryl & Ste

x

hi,

we bought our 2 staffies with us last year (ronnie and reggie), and probably the same as everyone else thought we'd have a terrible time finding a rental but we got one on the 2nd house that we viewed (i know we were VERY lucky but it does show that it can happen!).

if you can get a letter from your vet/your current next door neighbour to say that your dog is well behaved and doesn't bark all day and night, that may swing things in your favour if needed.

we used par-air in england (who were fantastic) and the dogs stayed in quarantine in sydney (cheaper and less waiting time than melbourne), the kennal staff were great and we phoned the same girl each week for updates. the dogs coped really well in the kennals (apparently there were 8 staffies in the same kennal block and they were competing with each other to see who could bark the loudest! lol). ronnie looked great when she came to us (the fattie needed to lose a bit of weight anyway :biglaugh:), reggie did look a bit skinny but he soon but the weight back on with us spoiling them!

hopefully this has helped, if you need to know anything else just message me

ange x

Guest ste and cheryl
hi,

we bought our 2 staffies with us last year (ronnie and reggie), and probably the same as everyone else thought we'd have a terrible time finding a rental but we got one on the 2nd house that we viewed (i know we were VERY lucky but it does show that it can happen!).

if you can get a letter from your vet/your current next door neighbour to say that your dog is well behaved and doesn't bark all day and night, that may swing things in your favour if needed.

we used par-air in england (who were fantastic) and the dogs stayed in quarantine in sydney (cheaper and less waiting time than melbourne), the kennal staff were great and we phoned the same girl each week for updates. the dogs coped really well in the kennals (apparently there were 8 staffies in the same kennal block and they were competing with each other to see who could bark the loudest! lol). ronnie looked great when she came to us (the fattie needed to lose a bit of weight anyway :biglaugh:), reggie did look a bit skinny but he soon but the weight back on with us spoiling them!

hopefully this has helped, if you need to know anything else just message me

ange x

Hi ange

Thank you very much for your helpful advise.

Can I ask how much it cost you for par-air all in all? Did they help you with sorting ronnie and reggies paperwork out? I'm just at the beginning of getting missys done and I am sooo confused already, I don't have a clue where to start :unsure:

How did you get Ronnie and Reggie from Sydney?

Thank you again

Cheryl x

:wubclub:

Guest mimasawrus

Hi we came over here in Oct 2009 and brought 3 dogs with us. We used Petair they were fantastic. Came to our house to do bloodtests eveything. After arrival we had rwo weeks to find a rental. We found that if you go into the agents and explain your circs they will try to help you. We did find however that the rentals that were prepared to let us stay with pets were the older type properties although still nice. I suppose we can understand that. This did not bother us too much because we are now building our own house and always intended to do so. We have been in our rental for 6 months and have had two agent inspections and have been fine. So if you put your mind to it you can do it and it should be easier with one dog. You are right you cannot leave them behind. I would necver have settled without mine

Good Luck

Laura xx:)

Guest ste and cheryl

Thank you for all your helpful information, I have just emailed Par-air and Airpets for quotes.

Missy has her micro chip on the 28th and not a clue what to do next with her paperwork etc.

Missy is very well behaved so we are hoping we won't have any problems finding a place, we're going to get our neighbours and our landlord to write refrences for us.

Cheryl x

We rent our house in Adelaide and initially didn't want people with pets, but the agent said - be open. I thought about it and realised that kids can do more damage!! We insist they get the carpets professionally cleaned and that the garden is "repaired" if nec. But have had one tenant with a dog and now one with a cat and no problems so far. Don't ask for bigger bond or more money though.

So always worth asking................

Guest angiestaff
Hi ange

Thank you very much for your helpful advise.

Can I ask how much it cost you for par-air all in all? Did they help you with sorting ronnie and reggies paperwork out? I'm just at the beginning of getting missys done and I am sooo confused already, I don't have a clue where to start :unsure:

How did you get Ronnie and Reggie from Sydney?

Thank you again

Cheryl x

:wubclub:

Hi Cheryl

i think par air cost around 2,500 pounds for the 2 dogs (maybe a bit less), and they were great with all the forms, they even faxed stuff straight to the vets when we had to get bloods done etc...

we then had to pay $800 (ish) quarantine costs for the first dog and around $500 for the 2nd. then we used jet-pets to fly the dogs from sydney and then straight to our door...jet-pets were absolutley fantastic , the bloke that collected them from sydney kennals and took them to the airport was great, he even gave andy his own personal mob num so we could ring him to let him know the dogs were ok when they arrived!..that cost just under $1000 (because it was on a sat, we were told to keep them in the kennals until the mon and we'd only have to pay $5-600 for the service, but we couldn't wait those 2 extra days!)

if you want i can find the paperwork from par-air and try and find the name of the woman i dealt with? (i'm thinking it may be rachel but not entirely sure! lol)

keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on

ange x

Guest ste and cheryl

Just received an email with a quote from Airpets ... £3285, that's just for Missy !!! Wow I think that's very expensive !!! Still waiting on Par-air.

Cheryl x