Hi, just felt compelled to write to you, i still live in the UK and we were going to apply for visa years ago but my mum will ill with cancer at the time....my mum lasted 8 years with cancer and she died in 2004, we are now at the point of applying but in hindsight i should of listened to my mum who said " if you are happy and settled " then i will be too, my mum longed to go to Australia but couldny even go for a holiday as no one whould insure her.... i wish you all the luck in the world but you dont want to be regretting not trying. Hope all goes well and will follow your posts.
Thank you Anne.
I'm in turmoil at the moment!
I want to try a new life in Australia but worry so much about damaging my son's education.
Realistically we wouldn't make the move until early next year but i'm a bit confused as to when he would start high school out there as i know its 12/13, i'm just trying to find out when the cut off date is!
I desperately want to go but can't imagine leaving my father behind. we have an uncle who lives in perth who dad hasn't seen since 1987 but i think i just need to make the big leap!
Good luck with your visa.
Originally Posted by vikkiann
It sounds like you have a lot on your mind and you need to think about what you want also, with regards to your son the best thing is to find someone near to where you want to relocate to do some investigating for you....i work in a secondary school and children often start mid term and we have children that speak little english who still manage to adjust within weeks !!!
Also with your Dad, you need to talk to him...but im sure that he would want you to make your own desicion, i have an uncle,auntie and cousins in Adelaide that i have never met. So thats quite exciting... have you been to Adelaide before ????
Yes, we went to adelaide in 2008. Toured loads of it as well. I prefer the south of the city (nearer the beach!).
It will all come together i'm sure.
my two are 8 and 11, the eldest started high school in the uk last september, we came out here two months ago and i have never seen him this happy and relaxed, he's like a different child. i didnt want to leave it any longer thinking it would only get more difficult for him, although we could have done with waiting for an upturn on house prices and exchange rates but hey ho its only money. Tough decision but you only get one go at life so make the best decision for you and your family. Good luck.
If your son's education is the sticking point, perhaps you could look into the programs we have here for students with a high intellectual potential (SHIP at primary school, followed by IGNITE at high school). We have bright (and boy, does he sound bright lol!) kids here and the school systems are flexible and encouraging enough to cope so I feel sure he would be fine.
Originally Posted by vikkiann
This website might help reassure you, or just give you a point of contact:
About GTCASA - GTCASA Official Web Site
I chose that website as it offers an overview of what's available, not just the schooling side. GTCASA is an acronym for Gifted and Talented Children's Association South Australia. Hope it at least helps a little :)
Last edited by Lazy Cow; 24-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Reason: Acronym explanation!