Lecturer/Tutor falls into which SOL?

Guest m2A

:confused:Hi. I am a newbie to this forum. I am a senior lecturer for a university college and it seemed that I am not able to find a suitable match job title in the SOL:mad:!

I am more into E-commerce and IT Project Management. I know that there is no point for 2421-11 University Lecturer SOL. CAN I use either 2493-11 Teacher - Education Officer, 2422-11 Teacher - Vocational Education teacher (non-trade)?

Anyone gone through with 2493-11 or 2422-11 before?

YOu may have already done this but... We found that was important to look at the job descriptions of the SOL's and not their titles. I used to have a direct link that was easier than the one I'm giving you but there are two jobs - Teacher - Vocational non-trades and Teacher Vocational trades. When you look at the job description it is for teachers at a Tafe (The Technical and Further Education (TAFE) system in Australia is a government training system with a similar role to that of Community Colleges in the United States of America and the Polytechnic system of the United Kingdom) or other training institution. See job desc for technical one on http://www.dimia.gov.au/asri/occupations/t/teacher-vocational-education-teacher-(trades)-2422-11.htm. The job desc for non-trades is virtually the same but is 50 pts not 60. Non-trade is assessed by VETASSESS which is a very straightforward - send in transcripts, etc. but trades is by TRA (usually a much more challenging assessment process.) Most agents offer a free consultation and you can call and ask what is most appropriate for your situation. The stickler for some is that B-tec national diploma's don't seem to pass. VETASSESS particularly demand a batchelors degree or higher. I don't know PGCert's, etc. but I would hope they would pass. Hope this helps and good luck. Remember - if you can prove your work experience under these job descriptions and you get your visa you can apply for whatever you want. You aren't limited once you get there into applying for jobs only in this category. We are somewhat similar and anticipate applying to private secondary schools. If you do choose to assess through VETASSESS - DON'T BOTHER PAYING AN AGENT. The form is simple and you need to provide certified copies of personal docs, transcripts and diploma. We paid an agent because we felt guilty after the consulation and she's excellent - but we could have saved money on that part and done it ourselves. Good luck and hope this helps a little.

Liz

Hi Selah,

Thanks for your reply. It is a whole new experience for me, the immigration things.:biglaugh:

"Remember - if you can prove your work experience under these job descriptions..."

I need to send proofs to Vetassess?

Is there a thread in this forum that explain the step-by-step application process? I am looking forward to apply under SIR visa (495) since I do not have enough points for PR.

Hi Selah,

Thanks for your reply. It is a whole new experience for me, the immigration things.:biglaugh:

"Remember - if you can prove your work experience under these job descriptions..."

I need to send proofs to Vetassess?

Is there a thread in this forum that explain the step-by-step application process? I am looking forward to apply under SIR visa (495) since I do not have enough points for PR.

Hi,

SIR 495 has been replaced by Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)

the first thing that needs to be done once your sure you have the points is find your occupation on the skills list http://www.diac.gov.au/asri/a-z.htm#l and then apply to have your skills recognised by the stated body propberly VETASSESS but best check on the list, until you have passed this you are unable to go to the next stage of state sponsorship, without sponsorship you cannot apply for this type of visa.

My advice would be to find your trade/job, make sure your skills match the description on the skills list, double check you have the points needed to apply for this type of visa and then apply to have your skills recognised, the forms can be downloaded an give you an idea of how much info is needed, or you could use an agent, some you can use just for your skills recognition as this is the tricky bit.

Simon

I know - the whole process is daunting! Certainly prior to Sept 1st changes, If you are applying to VETASSESS for the non-trade vocational teacher -it really was very simple as it is completely based upon academic qualifications and nothing else. As I think I mentioned - it's purely copies of passport id, academic transcripts & diploma. There is a vetassess checklist. People applying to TRA for assessment or through VETASSESS for trades assessment talk about months of work to prove qualifications. For the type of job you/we are assessed for - the application took me maybe 15 minutes and the longest was trying to figure out who to get to certify documents. Everything goes off in the post and a general timeline seems to be about a month for application to approval. Check the website on austimelin to see other people's experience. They were talking about getting tougher and making sure your undergraduate degree had something to do with the job you were applying for but prior to Sept 1st, if the job description stated a requirement of batchelors degree they didn't seem to mind what it was in. We didn't need to prove any work experience for Vetassess for these types of jobs although it was listed on the application. You do however have to prove work experience in 3 out of 4 years and for the last 12 months (depending on visa) for the job you were assessed for for your actual visa application. Therefore if you were on the SOL list and trained/assessed as a teacher but didn't have the recent work experience anymore you would not be able to apply. Those of us who are the main applicant and have been in and out for maternity leave sometimes find this a bit of a challenge. The best source of information as previously said is the immigration website but people here will always answer questions. People often talk about the skills assessment being the hardest but for a straight qualification - for qualification assessment like the ones required for these jobs - trust me - it's the easy part! Check the VETASSESS website for information. The form has slightly changed but my understanding from our agent was that for this type of assessment it was still relatively easy. Good luck.