One week update!!!!

she1971

Well.....we made it!!!!! arrived Weds 26/5/10.

As per previous posts very emotional last few weeks in Uk, which we really werent expecting at all.

Heathrow was awful.......took all my strength to walk through through the departure gates.........really sobbing at this point, so much so that the guys doing the security screens asked if i was ok!!!

Journey was great....Singapore Airlines...FAB!

Singapore Airport is amazing, no time for a transit room, went swimming, watched movies, had a massage, used the internet and then onwards to Adelaide!!!

Met at airport by Meet and Greet and taken to OAA....basic and a bit of a shock after the looong journey but is Ok and has all you need really. Got taken into Adelaide...not the best really when shattered! but managed to collect our bank cards from NAB.

Ok, most people say its all good etc etc but really the dominate feeling was of being scared, what the hell had we done?????

All quite teary, could put some of that down to jet lag bt we are not like that usually so again took us by surprise.

On Thurs we viewed 2 rentals and put in an application for the 2nd one, not too hopeful as we have a dog inquarantine, but we signed the lease today!!!! WOHOO....tip...really helps to bring at least one reference from UK, we got one from the agents that are letting our house in UK.

Had to go into work on the Fri and this was the morning that both boys absolutely sobbed with the youngest wanting to just get on a plane back to the UK....not great!

So whilst they dropped me at work, after getting lost a few times Mark took the boys into Adelaide and on the trams, when they picked me up they were buzzing!

We have made sure to include them in all the decisions even choosing the car!

So spent afternoon looking at some cars and now had satnav that they had bought in Adelaide....godsend apart from it doesnt know which times and directions the expressway is running!!!

Also bought a digibox and indoor areial as we packed one of boys tvs in suitcase, works great. Got Aussie sim cards and a new dongle as uk one doesnt work here!

Saturday we viewed 2 more houses and some cars.

Sunday was rainy so we went swimming at Adelaide Aquatic Centre.....still feeling low at times especially when reading emails/facebook!!

Monday decided on a car and got bankers draft. Found out our bank cards hadnt been activated but NAB at Marion shopping centre were great and sorted it all out with no dramas! Registered for medicare also atMarion shopping centre. Explored Glenelg in the afternoon.

Tuesday we went to Cudlee Creek with a friend we met on forum last year and her 2 boys and had a really nice day cuddling koalas, feeding kangaroos, wallabies etc...on way home heard we had got the rental we had applied for!!!!

Tues evening we drove to collect our new car..which is 'awesome' according to the boys, thanks to Bob & Yvonne for their hospitality, advise and guidance, much appreciated!!!!!!

Weds...today....we signed the lease for our new house but wont move in for 3 weeks as our container is due around then......we signed Zack up for school...he is going to Seaview high-really nice people and took loads of time to answer our questions. Very relaxed. We just turned up without any appointment and they were fine.

Aaron is going to enrol at Secliff Primary on Friday and cant wait, we visited on the Thursday and he made his mind up then that he wanted to go there, big change as not a school person at all in UK!

Returned rental car this afternoon and spent afternoon on the beach...not bad for 2nd day of Winter! Actually felt ok today and feel it will be OK.

Managed to speak to Mum and Mark's Mum, my brother and friends on skype today and no tears!!!!

Sooo...although we only arrived a week ago we feel like we have been here for a couple of months!

Thanks to everyone for their support on our journey to get here. Looking forward to our new future...................................:)

Sorry its a long post but guess we really packed a lot in!!!

To all those on your way take the time to say proper goodbyes and set them all up with skype and emails! Loads of luck to you all.:v_SPIN:

Great post...the early days are the hardest but it does get easier, i still have downer days when i think about my little boy back in the Wetlands.

Get out networking and building some friendships...all in all sounds like its going great.

You know where we are should you need anything, keep up the good work

HG

Guest kangomik

Hey slow down a little, your going to burn out. You cannot up sticks, move half way around the world and hit it all at full tilt.

You have done so much very very quickly, but stand back take a breathe and relax. The stress will rub off on the young ones.

The move is hard, and many read the forum thinking they will be fine, and your post is great at relaying what people actually feel, we have all been there.

It's winter which will not help, but i do believe it's good to see Adelaide in this type of light, because when the nice weather comes you really do chill out.

The post is excellent, good luck for the future

Wow Sheila

You make it sound so exciting and easy, im terrified but these posts are helping. Now the flights have been booked and given notice at work Martin is getting really worried (probably as we are coming without jobs) but hoping we will be ok.

Thanks for the update and keep them coming especially any tips you can offer for our preparation and first few days there.

Good luck and i hope you and the family settle in.

Hope we can meet up in September.

We arrive 10th September so if anyone knows of any meets after that time then please let me know as we dont know anyone.

Guest Jersey Bean

Hey that`s pretty good going She 1971.

Got loads to ask you can I send you a PM ?

Thanks Claire

Flights Booked 6th July!

1st day thought **** what the hell have we done! jetlag for 6 days cried first 3 days felt sick first 2days felt guilty for taking our kids from there friends 2nd day.after 7 days its getting better and enjoying ourselfs,tip get friends on skype bring laptops with you and unlock mobile phones.

Guest TraceyT

Hi Sheila,

I have just read your post with a big lump in my throat. It sounds like you are getting sorted really fast. The goodbyes sounded awful and we are right in the middle of them now. I have finished work & am in the process of packing. Fly on the 27th & are excited, but a wee bit scared.

Would love to meet up when we finally get out there.

Tracey x

I think most people have that thought what have we done in the first couple of days I know we did, I remember my sister crying and sayng at the airport I will never see you again well shes been here 4 times and I'v been back 3 times .We been here 12 years and still the thought crosses my mind did we do the right thing (will never know) Great post by the way

Guest Cope

Thanks for that post, gives us an idea of what we're in for mid August! Hope and trust you will find your bearings soon, don't forget to take some time to enjoy everything.

All the best.

I would definately recommend what we did if you have the spare cash. Instead of flying straight to Adelaide we flew to Brisbane and had a week on the Gold Coast to get over the jetlag and just have a rest.

We were absolutely exhausted after all the sorting out in the UK, selling the house, packing, goodbyes etc. It was wonderful to recharge our batteries ready for the next phase, get our heads into gear and back into Aussie-mode. It was fantastic for the kids too. With the jetlag, the first morning we all woke up at 3am, by 5am we'd had breakfast and unpacked all our cases so we went for a walk on the beach (luckily the sun was up by then in Qld in November).

We booked everything up from England via the internet, even the minibus transfers from Brisbane airport to our apartment, then we flew Jetstar from Gold Coast airport to Adelaide and arrived nice and refreshed.

Guest kangomik

Anne are there complications with the luggage weight doing it that way? I think it is an excellent way to do it by the way.

She how was the first day of sunshine today! still a bit chilly though. ;)

For those comming over the next few months you may find it mild to warm, ask again when you get a few bouncers in Oct- Nov, then ask again in Feb LOL

Anne are there complications with the luggage weight doing it that way? I think it is an excellent way to do it by the way.

Jetstar was 20 kg same as Singapore and their cabin allowance was I think actually higher. As I was the only migrant (husband and kids all Australians) I didn't bother with the extra baggage allowance. We fitted it all in OK, it was summer time so we didn't need to pack our thick clothes.

Also we figured it might be ages before we got to go on holiday again, so we might as well take one.

Hey slow down a little, your going to burn out. You cannot up sticks, move half way around the world and hit it all at full tilt.

You have done so much very very quickly, but stand back take a breathe and relax. The stress will rub off on the young ones.

The move is hard, and many read the forum thinking they will be fine, and your post is great at relaying what people actually feel, we have all been there.

It's winter which will not help, but i do believe it's good to see Adelaide in this type of light, because when the nice weather comes you really do chill out.

The post is excellent, good luck for the future

Hi....I know, we just had a bit of a time limit as I start work W/C 14/6/10, so yes, stressful......but spent a wonderful day today chilling out on beaches at Hallet Cove, Christies Beach & Port Noarlunga......all stunning....

Boys & Mark even went in the sea!!!!! Nutters!

Best part was when we saw a dolphin swim by at Port Noarlunga, only about a metre or so off the shore.....AMAZING!!!!:jiggy:

Wow Sheila

You make it sound so exciting and easy, im terrified but these posts are helping. Now the flights have been booked and given notice at work Martin is getting really worried (probably as we are coming without jobs) but hoping we will be ok.

Thanks for the update and keep them coming especially any tips you can offer for our preparation and first few days there.

Good luck and i hope you and the family settle in.

Hope we can meet up in September.

We arrive 10th September so if anyone knows of any meets after that time then please let me know as we dont know anyone.

Hi Andi

It hasnt been easy!!!! Believe me!!!! We were scared to death!

We got through by taking it one day at a time and being there for each other especially when one of you is feeling low.

I really think we will be Ok.

Was able to have a long chat with my Mum on skype tonight and no tears!!!

Just do things at your pace, we were limited for time because i start work in 2 weeks.

We were also ltd on areas to live as dont want to spend ages each day commuting and we have a dog.

Am happy to answer any queries you have if i can.

Good luck with everything, it was like a military operation for us!

Would love to meet you when you get here, think Sept is when spring starts so should be lovely.

Take care.

Hi Sheila,

I have just read your post with a big lump in my throat. It sounds like you are getting sorted really fast. The goodbyes sounded awful and we are right in the middle of them now. I have finished work & am in the process of packing. Fly on the 27th & are excited, but a wee bit scared.

Would love to meet up when we finally get out there.

Tracey x

Hi Tracey

The goodbyes were the worst, but when you are here you are sooooo glad you did them!

Set everyone up with skype and emails and make sure your mobiles are unlocked, then you can get Aussie sim cards and a wireless Aussie dongle and keep connected!

Would love to meet up and make new friends, still really early days for us too.

where are you staying?

Take care, good luck and keep your chin up.........XXXX

Guest TraceyT
Hi Tracey

The goodbyes were the worst, but when you are here you are sooooo glad you did them!

Set everyone up with skype and emails and make sure your mobiles are unlocked, then you can get Aussie sim cards and a wireless Aussie dongle and keep connected!

Would love to meet up and make new friends, still really early days for us too.

where are you staying?

Take care, good luck and keep your chin up.........XXXX

Hi,

We have a 12 weeks rental in Hove (which I believe is next door to Brighton), so not far from Hallett Cove. We have a daughter aged 16 and a son aged 13, who we are going to try to get into Brighton High, if it looks good when we look around.

Will speak soon, as I am guessing that I will have lots of questions on posts in a couple of weeks time.

Keep smiling.

Tracey x:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peachie

Hi shelia

resd your great post

it bought back loads of menoeries of our first weeks as only had 3 week holiday let when we arrived we found lond term rental schools car house full on new furniture and scholls all in 2 weeks lucky for us hubby already had a job but I took the summer off with the kids to recover from those few weeks!!! its amazing how much you can get done when you need to and now we are all settled and soon as the kids started school in jan I went job hunting and love it here even in winter

hope you have settled too

Deb xx