• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Mental Health Nursing - Advice Needed Please

i would def agree that you dont need a degree to go beyond a band 5 bin the uk though it helps its experience that counts.
      julie2010 likes this.

3 times
      Thanks everyone this has definatly reassured me. Just trying to get myself signed up to a diploma course now however I need a Septemeber start date in 2011 and my local college doesnt seem to be offering any after May 2011 :(... I think we might have to sell up our little home and move. Hopefully it will be worth it to move over to sunny Adelaide!

Bury Nth Manchester
      3 times
      OH - Sorry for the really slow response, have not checked in, in a while.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the invaluable information and advice, much appreciated.

Well my course begins a week next Monday and I'm very excited that I have the opportunity to change our lives.

I think that I will do the DipHe and not go for the degree, due to financial reasons, but may convert later on if I get the chance to do so.

Another member has informed me that I can apply for the postgraduate program (18mths) once graduated and this gives an approx income of 20k. The advantage that UK graduate nurses have is that they specialize during the DipHe/Degree whereas OZ undergraduate programs are general.

Julie - is Preston still doing the DipHe for Sept 2011? The reason I ask is that I know that many Uni's are stopping the DipHe after 2010. One of my friends started at Preston last year on MH and she loves it! She has done 3 placements, one on an acute ward and 2 in the community. She has had 4 assignments and says that once you get your head around the referencing of essays, etc, it is really straightforward.

Thanks for the offer of advice on Bursary, I got all my info sorted and sent off as soon as I had my bursary ref. Unfortunately we only get the basic and no childcare allowance etc as Adam is just above the threshold.

Good luck to everyone and once again thanks so much for all your helpfulness :D
      Adam and Maif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12