175 visa query and NZ

Guest I_FELLOWS

Guest I_FELLOWS

This may seem like a strange question but here goes.....

I applied for a 175 visa (skilled independant) last June. I am one of the many whose emigration plans have been seriously delayed by the changes to visa processing rules over the last 12 months (we seem to be as far away as ever from getting our visa).:arghh:

I haven't given up though, so I've been seeking employment in SA as a way to speed things up. So far I've had some interest but no firm job offers (at least not in Oz). Ironically, I've recently received a job offer in New Zealand !!! This has really given us something to ponder, it seems like a great opportunity, but it's in the wrong country. So, one of the many things we are now considering is whether to take this opportunity in NZ now, give life in NZ a whirl, but keep our options open regarding a longer term move to Adelaide.

My question is ,will I still be able to keep my existing visa application open if I move to NZ ? Or will I have to apply again as a NZ resident ? If anyone has the answer I would be very glad of some advice.

Regards

Ian

Guest WhatNow?

Hi,

Although that used to be the case, I suspect that it is not as straightforward as that any more. You should really speak to a registered migration agent about this as only they are qualified (and legally allowed) to give you visa advice. You could try a PM to Alan Collett of GoMatilda who regularly posts on this site.

• 11 months later...
Guest I_FELLOWS

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I last posted on PIA. My family and I are currently living in NZ (have been her since Dec 2010) but finally our visas have come through for Oz.:D

So I will be a more frequent visitor to PIA again as we try to get our plans back on track. We have been granted a GSM visa (subclass 175) and now we are planning our first entry visit to Oz in July.

To anyone with the same visa I have a question relating to our first entry visit - can we enter at any airport and do we have to stay for a minimum period (we have planned a 5 day short holiday). Do we need to have anything stamped in our passport (by the local consulate) before we arrive in Oz ? My case officer was not much help with these questions, he just referred me to the consulate here in NZ (Auckland), but they won't answer any of my calls. I could not find any info about this on the immi web-site but that could just be my own incompetence. So if anyone has any useful links that would also be great.

Many Thanks

Excited and heading for Oz

Ian