As long as I have worked for 35 hours or over for 12 months duration within the 3 years and lived in South Australia for at least two years then you can apply for PR, which you satill need to pay for medicals for all family members, have police checks both from the UK and Australia and also pay $2520 visa fees. Immigration can still refuse but unlikely if you meet their criteria. It should not make no difference if you are currently unemeployed at the time of your application, but then again it does not look good if you apply after being unemployed for the past year without a valid reason to it. Yes you should be ok if you have small children and still managed to only do 12 months work. Furthermore on our 475 State Sponsorship visa this applies to either my wife or I, even though I am the main sponsor. I think will stand for your husband as well, but you will need to check it up.
1. I have had 21 job offers in the last five months, it makes no difference if you are on a temp visa from my experience. You cannot apply for government jobs, you must have PR for them.
2. Education you have to pay for, each school charges different amounts, my step daughter aged 11 is at a state school and we only pay $135 for the year. Prices are varied and can be upto $450 for state schools $800+ for private.
3. Loans I doubt it, but we have managed to gain a really good cheap car loan via Toyota finance, we got a brand new Toyota Camry $20,000, we got adeal for $717 per month and over 30 months.
4. Dont worry about where to live till you get here you need to look around the area we live in - we had never heard of it until we got here. School is a school to me. i just got somewhere wehere it is near shops, transport and near our employment. On a temporary visa you have to provide at least 20% deposit, it is not possible to gain a mortgage but it is hard. more expensive to buy here than rental.
5. Regarding police checks they only last for 12 months - I would wait until your Case Officer requests it to be done or nearer the end the same for your medicals.
6. Yes you will have to do all your medicals again and again only lasts for 1 year, so do it at the very end, when Case Officer requests it.
7. Sorry cannot help you out with this question.
All the best Michelle and good luck. I thought sponsorhip visa were stopped until 2012 (just a rumour I heard)