bloody IELTS exam

Guest nicandchris

Guest nicandchris

I cant believe that ive just failed the english exam needed by the aussie nursing registration! I failed by one point in the reading section, got 8,9 and 7 in the other sections and got an overall pass of 7.5. Im a registered nurse in the uk with two degrees and im furious! £110 to pay again and a two month delay now.........anybody else had similar problems?

nic:arghh:

It's so annoying isn't it. I have a friend who wants to go and nurse in the UK and is stressing about doing the test to apply for her UK registration. It's a bit hard for native English speakers to have to prove they can do the lingo, but I guess it's being fair to everyone ( well the government's idea anyway)

Hi Nick, I today arrived in adelaide. The ielts I first sta last october and failed the reading part 6.5 resat in december and concentrated so much on the reading I failed the writting then sat third time in feb and finally passed. I lived in cardiff and sat it in cardiff, bristol and bath. If you can travel to other areas it may be worth you looing whats available. I would advise just relax and look for the logical answer as I found this helped me. I even asked for one to be re marked (waste of money) as I had resat again before I got result. Hang in there it will work out in the end and you too will arrive just like I have. Any other questions feel free to ask.

tanya

Guest Samster

I totally feel your pain! I arrived in Adelaide at the end of August and was initially told I didn't need to do the test, then they said I did and couldn't get a place to sit it till the end of November! Then... I failed on the reading part too! I found the main problem was the lack of time, the pressure I felt made me panic, given more time I think it would have been ok. I am only here for a year, I was so annoyed initially that I wasn't going to bother doing it again as I had already got another job by then... in a nursing aency call centre of all places! I resat in Feb and passed but was travelling then so only got round to registering in April! When I failed I emailed the head of the NMBSA who said he sympathised but couldn't do anything, so frustrating! I don't know how people who don't speak English as their first language manage to pass, it's a bit of a money spinner if you ask me!!

Anyway, I hope you pass next time, I found being really strict with time management during that part of the exam helped, I was totally not prepared the first time around!

I also reluctantly did some practice online, there are free tests let me know if you can't find them. I think doing a couple just helped me feel more confident.

Yours in empathy of a truly ridiculous situation! Arrgghhh!

Sam :-) :wacko:

Guest nicandchris

thanks everyone its so frustrating! I sat with two other nurses (whom i didnt know beforehand) one a general nurse and the other mental health like me, both failed on by either a point or a .5! I also think that its the time factor, i'd initially been told to be careful of the writing aspect which i didnt think was too bad in the end (about healthy eating) but i found that there was too much reading information in too little time and i am wondering if this is a true reflection of whether you have a good grasp of english...i think not! Im going to give it another shot but its difficult because im on maternity stat money i.e. £500 a month so where ill find another £110 from i dont know! I do hope that its all worth it! Is living in Adelaide as good as you imagined? Less stressful i would like to think at least!

Nic

Guest nicandchris

thanks again everyone, ive spoken to the agency whom are supporting by tranisition to Adelaide and who got me the job with CNAHS. They were very understanding and outlined that there is a 70% or higher failer rate for the first time passes, doesnt this outline a problem with the testing?????????? Anyway because im on maternity leave they have said that once ive passed the ielts exam i dont have to apply for the nursing registration until i return to work in Nov/Dec and still be in Adelaide for the August of next year which is good. Ok guys thanks and fingers crossed! xx

Guest mandiw76

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your post (and all the threads) as it has made me realise that it isn't just me that has failed it!!

I'm a nurse with a degree and an A-level in English, but failed the reading section by 2 points, there really wasn’t enough time to answer all the questions and the way the reading text was on the reverse side of the question paper was such a pain, continually flicking it over!! grrrrrr! I knew I’d failed immediately after the exam as I hadn't answered all the questions...and yes I was furious too as well as embarrassed!! Anyway like you I’m awaiting to take my 2nd one and I’ve been busy swatting up! trying to get faster at reading and answering the questions!! best of luck with yours and keep at it as it will be worth it x

Guest nurse sue
I cant believe that ive just failed the english exam needed by the aussie nursing registration! I failed by one point in the reading section, got 8,9 and 7 in the other sections and got an overall pass of 7.5. Im a registered nurse in the uk with two degrees and im furious! £110 to pay again and a two month delay now.........anybody else had similar problems?

A friend of mine who is heading to victoria in the next 6 - 8 weeks did the same as you - passed all except the reading bit where he got a 5; he knew he'd failed cos he said he ran out of time ... but is retaking asap, as he has just packed his house off and sold it and has a job lined up jsut needs ielts to complete his registration.

he revised every night, and i was astounded that he got a 5 ... and now owe him a fiver!!! (i bet him he would pass )

good luck with it :wubclub:

good luck

• 10 months later...
Guest kenco

granted this is now june 2011 im appalled at the cost 450.00 and im rgn trained in the uk all my life now im sweating ! what s happening ?? please help im sitting it next week !!

Guest RobJ1978
granted this is now june 2011 im appalled at the cost 450.00 and im rgn trained in the uk all my life now im sweating ! what s happening ?? please help im sitting it next week !!

450 gbp???

You will need to practice, i failed my first time round, however there was a lot of disruption in the room so i complained and got the second text free...however this doesn't help with the time frame as i still had to wait 3 months for a test. go on you tube and search for ielts...comes up with lots of helpful tips, how to write essay etc, and tips for your reading paper.

Nic

Guest helene73

Hi guys I am sitting IELTS in July dreading it the reading one makes no sense to me at all, the person who writes this exam certainly speaks a different language to me, I wish I had psychic powers to get in the writers head cos that will be the only way I will pass that bit, I am so stressed I am not sleeping :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Guest Guest6899

Hi nic i failed mine 3 times!!:sad::sad: but got my 3rd overturned into a pass. The first two i got a 6.5 on the reading (others 8s & 9s) and the 3rd i got a 6.5 on the writing but got this overturned to a 7.5 and a pass. The academic version is very hard, i must have spent over £400 with exams, travelling etc in total.

Chin up i know its hard been there!! Lisa x

Guest snowy10

I'm sure I've read somwhere that if you are that close to passing you can ask for your exam to re-marked. I've also read that people that have asked for this to happen have often had their marks upped giving them a pass.

May be worth asking the question to the IELTS people or searching the Poms in Oz site for more info.

Guest RobJ1978
I'm sure I've read somwhere that if you are that close to passing you can ask for your exam to re-marked. I've also read that people that have asked for this to happen have often had their marks upped giving them a pass.

May be worth asking the question to the IELTS people or searching the Poms in Oz site for more info.

When i was going to appeal it was gonna cost £80 and it would take 8 weeks, and because it was the reading that i failed on they said it was unlikely i would be marked up as it is a right or wrong answer.

Nic

Hi Nic,

First of all, im sorry about your news with the IELTS exam, I also had to do it a second time. Im a teacher and missed out on the reading by 0.5-gutted!! ;o( I thought I was a complete failure, and highly embarrassed being a teacher! Its strange how it seems to be the reading part that throws most people, I also think there is too little time to read such lenghty extracts and answer Q's on the pages overleaf! I sat it at Leeds first time around, but there was such a wait when I needed to re-take it, that I decided to look elsewhere. I ended up getting in alot sooner at Peterborough, and we travelled down the day before and made a bit of a wkend of it. The day I sat the exam, I was much more determined and relaxed, knowing my family were close by, but also thinking, come on girl, dont mess it up this time! I just made sure I read each extract carefully, then when answering the Q's, I underlined where I believed the answers were in the extract, so that I could go back and double check my answers, time permitting. I def think this helped with the time element, as it meant I didn't need to re-read the whole thing to check my answers were correct. Does this make sense? Hope so! Anyway, have you re-booked at the same test centre, or would you consider going elsewhere if they have a sooner slot? P'boro was a fab building, I found Leeds awkward to get to really. Good luck with it all, and dont think your a failure, just be more determined to do it next time around. All the very best,

Lisa ;o)

Guest ozfish

Thanks for the points you give in your post~ i'm sitting in leeds on 16th july and trying to practice as much as i can...one day i panic about the writing, then the next panic about the reading. I think its just luck on the day! :goofy:

Hi Nic,

First of all, im sorry about your news with the IELTS exam, I also had to do it a second time. Im a teacher and missed out on the reading by 0.5-gutted!! ;o( I thought I was a complete failure, and highly embarrassed being a teacher! Its strange how it seems to be the reading part that throws most people, I also think there is too little time to read such lenghty extracts and answer Q's on the pages overleaf! I sat it at Leeds first time around, but there was such a wait when I needed to re-take it, that I decided to look elsewhere. I ended up getting in alot sooner at Peterborough, and we travelled down the day before and made a bit of a wkend of it. The day I sat the exam, I was much more determined and relaxed, knowing my family were close by, but also thinking, come on girl, dont mess it up this time! I just made sure I read each extract carefully, then when answering the Q's, I underlined where I believed the answers were in the extract, so that I could go back and double check my answers, time permitting. I def think this helped with the time element, as it meant I didn't need to re-read the whole thing to check my answers were correct. Does this make sense? Hope so! Anyway, have you re-booked at the same test centre, or would you consider going elsewhere if they have a sooner slot? P'boro was a fab building, I found Leeds awkward to get to really. Good luck with it all, and dont think your a failure, just be more determined to do it next time around. All the very best,

Lisa ;o)

Guest kenco

i have just sat the OET test which was 450.00 and failed yes a registered nurse and have been born in the uk and educated in the uk i am now going to sit the ielts test as its cheaper and nearer any advice will help ? its a sham