Doggy stuff

Guest Janine,Mark&Ollie

Guest Janine,Mark&Ollie

Only three weeks until we come over, sooo excited but still lots to do.:v_SPIN: Just want to ask people who've brought dogs with them, can i really not bring any of his stuff like leads, toys and particularly his bed?

poor pooch!

Guest Woody and Jane

Of course you can bring it over, well we did and nobody told us we couldn't. We didn't bring dog beds though as we thought we'd treat them to nice new ones that they could destroy.

Woody.

Guest Kazzarazza

I pretty sure they only stop you sending collars and leads with the dog, for safety reasons. We have a dog bed and toys here that were posted over seperately.

Good luck and have a good journey, Kazza

Same here, we sent all the toys and bed etc over as part of our main shipment. We were told not to leave lead and collar with the dog for safety and so they would not get lost.

One thing we did find odd was doggy health supplements. Our dog had tablets and supplemnets for arthritis. We sent some with him and the quarantine people agreed to give the tablets and there were no problems with those going through customs. However when we tried to bring the main supply in with us they were confiscated and we lost $100 worth of tablets, even though all containers were new and still sealed. Transport company had told us there would be no probs bringing them in.

Guest Glenda
Only three weeks until we come over, sooo excited but still lots to do.:v_SPIN: Just want to ask people who've brought dogs with them, can i really not bring any of his stuff like leads, toys and particularly his bed?

poor pooch!

Hi there, we are also coming over in August (arrive 26th). Finished work today so can get on and do all the jobs I need to do! We are also very excited but it's getting a bit scary now. I am absolutely hating the goodbyes that have already started. Just want to be on that plane now! We are taking our Westie but sorry no idea about what we are allowed to take.

Where are you staying when you get there? Good luck anyway and maybe we could meet up when we get there?

Glenda

Guest brookesy
Hi

If you don't mind me being very cheeky, how much did it cost to send the dog over, and how did you arrange it???? THANKS:huh:

Sorry to hijack this post david we are going to adelaide in 9weeks cant wait!!!!. Any way we are taking our staffy over we are using golden arrow based in shropshire very good service, easy to talk through any probs with. The cost of taking our dog over is £1700 then of course we have quarintine to pay once we get over there. Hope this info helps dont hesitate to ask plenty of people on here who are more than willing to help.

Brookesy:jiggy:

Guest nicandchris

Hi there we have looked into bringing all of our four dogs over when we come and have gotten a quote from Goldrenarrows. We couldnt believe how friendly they were and seemed to really love what they do. I feel very comfortable arranging transport to adelaide with them when we do eventually sort it out for next year. Ive heard other wonderful things about this company and would recommend at least talking to them to see what you think. nicandchris

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you may struggle to find a rental with four dogs. We live in the Onkaparinga council area and they have a limit of 2 dogs per household ( think you have to apply for a special permit after 2) - just something to consider!

This applies not just to rental properties but to any property. Pretty much every council has dog control laws that require a special license to be applied for if you want to have more than 2 dogs. Once you have that license, and there is no guarantee you will get it in the first place, then if any complaints are received about the dogs (from neighbours for example) then the license will be revoked and you will not be issued with one again. There was quite a long thread about this just recently, and I put a link up to a dog forum where people were discussing the issue. Might be worth a search to find that and have a read....

On another note, how on earth do you clean up after four dogs when you are walking them? (This after I had a four bag walk with my one dog this morning - yukkj!)

Guest guest3462

Aussies are a nation of dog lovers really, but I would suggest a phone call to the local councils of the areas you are looking at living in to find out if you can do it at all. There is a licence fee each year to keep track of dogs and they all have to have a tag on their collars. But yes, I agree that it will be difficult to secure a decent rental with 4 dogs, unless of course you are planning to build or buy now and move straight into your own place?

Guest nicandchris

yes we are but realistically may be bringing over just two dogs initially and then sending over my little cocker spaniel a few months later when we are more settled, my friend said that she would look after her for me. We may have to rehome sam tho which is heartbreaking for chris.

• 1 month later...
Guest friends4life
Hi there we have looked into bringing all of our four dogs over when we come and have gotten a quote from Goldrenarrows. We couldnt believe how friendly they were and seemed to really love what they do. I feel very comfortable arranging transport to adelaide with them when we do eventually sort it out for next year. Ive heard other wonderful things about this company and would recommend at least talking to them to see what you think. nicandchris

Hi There,

I hope you do mind me asking we have a toy yorkshire terrier.

Did Golden Arrows fly your dogs directly to Adelaide and if so how long were they in quarantine and how much did quarantine cost?

Thank You Very Much.

Friends4Life

Guest nicandchris

Hi no they fly to Melbourne and then you either pick up yourself or out them on another plane to adelaide, apparently the latter is usual practice and quite cheap. They are a month in quarantine and again im led to believe that the conditions are good at melbourne.