ielts exam help

Guest mandy.s

Guest mandy.s

:huh:

Hi there,

I am desperate for any help and advice with regards to this exam, i am really really worried about this, it has been a long time since i had to sit an exam.:wubclub:

Guest Scribbles

Not at that stage myself yet, Mandy - still very much in the research stage! I have noticed a few threads on the same theme on PIA which you might like to check out. If you have the time to check further along there's a thread on page 11 and one on page 37 with some advice and, if I remember rightly, some web addys for practice papers.

Good luck!

Guest nicandchris

Hi ive written some threads re this. I took mine a month ago and failed by one point on the reading part, im going to retake in Oct. OK the important part is not to get stressed as its really not that hard its just the unknown and being under exam conditions thats hard. If english is your 1st language then the listening and speaking parts arnt too bad, its the writing and the reading that are moreso. In the reading there isnt much time so you have to learn the skill of skim reading and taking in info quickly, in the writing part you usually have to look at a graph and write about it, basically you can just contrast aspects of it and review you dont have to answer any questions really about it. In the writing you do have to usually read and form and opion and in my exam it was about 'the goverments influence of the countrys healthy eating' i.e. should they use influence or is it a persons own choice, you only have to use 250 words on ths one and that isnt that much. You need to remember to answer the question based on your opinion but back it up with your own experience and give good reasoning for your answer. There are some good books around and i borrowed on from the library as they have loads, id do some reading about the rationale behind why they are asking you what they do and some reading of examples in past papers. Aything else just ask me and good luck!

Nic

Guest mandy.s

hi there,

thanks for the advice all helps, it is so frustrating that i cant send my application without this first

thanks again i really do appreciate all the help

Hi

I recently sat the test and managed to pass, I was very worried about it too.

I bought IELTS 7 Cambridge books for Cambridge exams which helped me to pass.

I found the reading part by far the hardest and this book lets you practice so I'd recommend it.

Good luck

Jayne Clark

p.s bought the book from play.com

Guest mandy.s

thanks i have an ielts book which i got from the uni i have to sit the exam it has on the front updated march 09 is this the same book

thanks for the advice

from Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kanchanaboori

Hello

I sat it last week and found that I was only 1 out of 2 people who had English as their first language out of about 60 people taking it. I wa up very early in the morning to travel to test centre and was pretty wiped by the time it started so did not listen as attentively as I should have at the listening part - the first stage. Other than that I thought it was pretty straight forward. I would skim read the larger passages and note at the side of each paragraph the main topic. Seems much easier to find information the questions relate to. The end part was talking - very much a formality if you speak English

Hi Mandy,

My wife just took the IELTS and by far the best advice she would give anyone is to get the IELTS 7 Cambridge book that others have recommended in this thread. It explains a lot of the format, aswell as giving very appropriate sample questions with the answers.

Just try to chill about it. You could end up being your own worst enemy by getting stressed.

All the very best with it.