Electrical Licence (how to go about)

Guest whitebeard

Guest whitebeard

Hi

I currently hold Subclass 175 Skilled (Migrant) Independent Visa.I am looking at moving from the UK to Adelaide with my family in the near future. I have a TRA Skills assessment certificate which classifies my skills as Electrician (special class) 4311-13. I am now in the process of apply for Trades Recognition from the TRA which i understand is the route i have to take in order to get a licence which allows me to work in South Australia as an electrican. Could you please advise if this is correct and if you could provide me with any other information which may help. For example i believe on receiving Trades Recognition i then have to complete a wiring regs course. Is this the case? Sorry its all very confusing. Again if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks Lee;)

Hi

I currently hold Subclass 175 Skilled (Migrant) Independent Visa.I am looking at moving from the UK to Adelaide with my family in the near future. I have a TRA Skills assessment certificate which classifies my skills as Electrician (special class) 4311-13. I am now in the process of apply for Trades Recognition from the TRA which i understand is the route i have to take in order to get a licence which allows me to work in South Australia as an electrican. Could you please advise if this is correct and if you could provide me with any other information which may help. For example i believe on receiving Trades Recognition i then have to complete a wiring regs course. Is this the case? Sorry its all very confusing. Again if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks Lee;)

You've got it. To receive your TRA (electrical Mechanic) certificate you will need an Aussie address, but you can do that when you get here. Through PEER, you can apply for the (wiring rules) regs course from the UK, they will send all the books plus work book for $1000, which you can claim the tax back once in oz at the end of the tax year. Fill in the workbook in your own time and once in OZ get in touch with PEER to sit the exam.

When you have the TRA and Wiring rules Certs then you go to the Office of consumer business affairs in the CBD (Adelaide). With in about 4 weeks you will get your Trade licence.

You can get a job without a licence at sparks rate if you tell them your situation.

Hope that helps

Guest whitebeard
You've got it. To receive your TRA (electrical Mechanic) certificate you will need an Aussie address, but you can do that when you get here. Through PEER, you can apply for the (wiring rules) regs course from the UK, they will send all the books plus work book for $1000, which you can claim the tax back once in oz at the end of the tax year. Fill in the workbook in your own time and once in OZ get in touch with PEER to sit the exam.

When you have the TRA and Wiring rules Certs then you go to the Office of consumer business affairs in the CBD (Adelaide). With in about 4 weeks you will get your Trade licence.

You can get a job without a licence at sparks rate if you tell them your situation.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info i seem to be making more sense of it now!! Did u find it difficult to find work initially. I will be looking for Maintenance electrician positions in industrial places.:o

I was at PEER this week and the guy that was taking my class said that the course is changing soon he was a bit vague on how soon but was hinting at around january, they are making it harder and you'll go to PEER for 4 days instead of 2 and there is going to be a practical section put in,

hope this helps a bit

good luck

Del

Thanks for the info i seem to be making more sense of it now!! Did u find it difficult to find work initially. I will be looking for Maintenance electrician positions in industrial places.:o

Hi, To be honest, the 1st interview I went too after I saw the job in the (Saturday job section of the Advertiser) paper is the job I have been doing since I arrived in Adelaide in March. I had no problem in finding work, they took me on without my wiring rules and licence on full rates. I don't think trying to apply from England is worth it because settling in and finding a rental, sorting the kids in school take priority (this said having the funds to settle down helps, we had about $15,000).

Not too sure about maintenance work though. abit of a contradiction would be to have a look at careerone.com.au

hope it helps.

As for the peer course, the hole exam day is abit of a farce. (only comment on this If you have taken the exam as you will know what I mean!) but hey it saves weeks of night school.

• 5 months later...
Guest weshardy5

:goofy:hi, just been reading your thread.

i have been onto peer and found out i can do the course from the uk. thing is i am in the process of vetasess assesing me.......the girl at peer said i didnt need vetasess and it was TRA i needed. is it possible to just do the TRA route???

seems like i will be paying money to vetasess when i should be paying TRA.

what kind of wages could i expect to earn???

i am a electrician/technician.....industrial domestic commercial.. plc, ac/dc drives installation etc...work for myself in uk...inspect and test 2391 , 17th. can do quite a lot of different stuff really. been working for myself 7 year. the whole shabang.

i not sure which work direction i will take, would like a crack at pv to be honest or maybe water treatment plant or something....just depends whats on offer...starting up seems like a big ask down there.

any info would be great.

up the spurs

wes.

:goofy:hi, just been reading your thread.

i have been onto peer and found out i can do the course from the uk. thing is i am in the process of vetasess assesing me.......the girl at peer said i didnt need vetasess and it was TRA i needed. is it possible to just do the TRA route???

seems like i will be paying money to vetasess when i should be paying TRA.

Not sure NOW but when we went through our visa process you need Vetasess to accompany your visa. You will find that untill you have a visa TRA don't want to know as your from England. As soon as you have a visa then TRA will help!!

It's all just about making money.

Guest weshardy5
Not sure NOW but when we went through our visa process you need Vetasess to accompany your visa. You will find that untill you have a visa TRA don't want to know as your from England. As soon as you have a visa then TRA will help!!

It's all just about making money.

hi pal, thanks for the reply, looks like you have to do the vetasess thing whatever. then tra.

from what ive learned tra are a goverment department and they are employing vetasess as a organisation to do it for them, so yeah a money making thing.

i will just do tra once my visa comes through.

any how, i take it your a derby county fan? spurs me self.

how are you finding it in adelaide?

i have been researching suburbs and looking at places to get set up.

what is your area like?

i have 2 boys aged 11 and 14 , i reckon one will be 16 when i arrive and one 13. is there a college close?

what kind of job did you get and are you enjoying it.

would be nice to be able to find some of these things out.

just hope i am making the correct decision in adelaide, had the choice of victoria, got stopped on the perth area as they shut the door in november, i reckon could be a blessing in disguise actually.

off to work now.

take care

wes.

how are you finding it in adelaide?

i have been researching suburbs and looking at places to get set up.

what is your area like?

i have 2 boys aged 11 and 14 , i reckon one will be 16 when i arrive and one 13. is there a college close?

what kind of job did you get and are you enjoying it.

would be nice to be able to find some of these things out.

just hope i am making the correct decision in adelaide, had the choice of victoria, got stopped on the perth area as they shut the door in november, i reckon could be a blessing in disguise actually.

off to work now.

take care

wes.

Hi Wes,

I love Adelaide mate, we came to Australia totaly in the dark as never doing a "reccie" and the furthest I'd ever travelled was Greece.

Adelaide is just like what I was used to in the UK (Derby) a big town!! not like the mad crazy cities of Brum, Manc or London.

We started of in Henley in a holiday home, then got a rental in Fulham Gardens. Really Really nice areas. We rented for 10 months but wanted to make OZ home so as soon as we could we bought. House prices for us were a big issue, we couldn't afford the $500 + asking prices of these suburbs for a family home with a bit of a back garden.

We Looked around and got work colleges opinions, South we went. we are now in Seaford ( thought it might be a bit to far south from the CBD but it's not ), We live 2 streets back from the Beach of Seaford /Moana. it is stunning!!!

Schools Don't know!! my lad has moved from Kidman park School down to Moana Primary, So far so good.

I'm working installing Fire alarms as a Spark, love it and the money is GREAT.

Don't know anything about any other states but you won't go far wrong with Adelaide, it's perfect (for us).

Guest weshardy5

brilliant.

thtas just what i was needing and wanting to hear.

it is great when you hear such positive things from people.

i am from a town just outside burnley which is quite a big lancashire town, i suppose you will have been through the emotions of the whole decision on moving out there.

i am hoping we can do a recce soon maybe towards the end of the year.if affordable.

working my rocks off at the moment , luckily the work is there at the moment .

thanks for the info also, seaford keeps coming up on my radar actually, but hey i bet there is loads of stunning places.

what kind of hours do you work ?

do you start early finish early etc?

god my head spins with it all some times.

how have you got on meeting new folk and friends?

from what i am hearing from my agents is that there pushing applications through fast at the moment so i am getting well excited. having a little battle with my oldest but i reckon i will win him over. any how good to speak to you guys and good reading your posts.

i will stay tuned and keep in touch if ok.

many thanks

wes.

seaford keeps coming up on my radar actually, but hey i bet there is loads of stunning places.

what kind of hours do you work ?

do you start early finish early etc?

god my head spins with it all some times.

how have you got on meeting new folk and friends?

from what i am hearing from my agents is that there pushing applications through fast at the moment so i am getting well excited. having a little battle with my oldest but i reckon i will win him over. any how good to speak to you guys and good reading your posts.

i will stay tuned and keep in touch if ok.

many thanks

wes.

Seaford will always crop up now because its still affordable and very close to the beach. (it's apparently the "new little Briton as apposed to the "old little Briton of Hallet cove", what ever!!) plenty of good old Aussies down here too and very friendly.

hours over here tend to be a 8 hour working day at moment i'm working 6-2 and home for half past.

meeting people depends on your own needs, there are plenty of meets but work and clubs /sports are a great place to start and of course PIA there is a lot of help on here, I don't post much on here but any questions how ever silly people will help. everybody will make you feel welcome.

As for your son, the life style avaliable out here is 10 times that of England (in my opinion)