Is there an age restriction for pets?

Guest nifa77

Guest nifa77

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help?:confused:

We have a 10yr old german shepherd that we would want to come with us to Adelaide but im just wondering if there is an age restriction? I've checked loads of websites and cannot find anything about this so was just wondering if its an issue, would hate to think that we start planning everthing and then being told we cannot take her :sad:

Thank you!

Guest ste and cheryl

As far as I am aware there is no age restriction for them to fly as long as they are generally healthy, although I do know you won't be able to get the insurance for your pet, I think it's any pet above 7 years old you can't insure.

Hope this helps !

Guest Trakki

from what other people have said it is very stressful on a dog for them to come over and be in quarentine. So the question is really whether your GSD would cope with it. 10 is quite old for a GSD and I know that my GSD would never have coped with anything like that when he was 10. As far as I am aware there are no age restrictions but you need to ask yourself whether it is fair on the dog at her age.

Guest nifa77

Thanks for your replies. Sometimes this process makes you think about not doing it at all!

We have had our GSD since she was born (sister inlaw breeds them) and it would break our hearts if we had to leave her, she is extremely healthy and is a very young 10 (still looks and acts like a puppy), her brothers and sisters have lived till they were 14/15, I know we have to think about her well being etc but I just feel that because we want move and she cant come we are abandoning her, as the saying goes "A dog is for life not just for xmas".

Sorry for my little moan I am just feeling upset already and havent even started the whole process!!! :sad:

Thanks again!

Guest Trakki

Totally agree with you and if you feel that she would cope then bring her, just wanted to warn you that from what I have heard it can be stressful on a dog, maybe someone on here who has bought their dog over could help you. I do know someone that shipped 2 dogs over both young I believe and sadly one died in quarentine.

Good luck with whatever you decide x

Guest Nick11

I would say it depends on the dog. They have to be fit to fly..so maybe your vet would be the best person to check with.

You may bring him over and he could be fine and last another 5 years.

Unfortunately it is a gamble.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Nifa.

Just got thus email back from spotwood.

"Yes, I do remember your dogs. I recall they were here around beginning of last year. How are they doing?

Please be aware dogs entering Australia must be at least 12 weeks of age however there is no age limit for entry, so long as the animal is fit enough for travel. (Please see below as per AQIS Information Package)

Step 16: Completion of Veterinary Certificate A Including Pre-Export InspectionTime frame: Within 4 days prior to export.

Veterinary Certificates A and B are included in the granted AQIS Import Permit.

Veterinary Certificate A is to be completed by a Government Approved Veterinarian or an Official Government Veterinarian. You must bring the animal and all documentation (eg. vaccination certificates, laboratory reports) to this inspection. The animal must be free from clinical signs of infectious or contagious diseases.

A thorough examination for external parasites, including visible or palpable ticks, must be performed by the approved veterinarian. Particular attention should be given to the forelegs, chest, neck, head, ears, eyes, shoulders, axillae and inner thighs. The animal must be fit to undertake the journey to Australia and undergo quarantine in Australia.

Any corrections to the approved veterinarian’s entries on Veterinary Certificate A will only be accepted if the original entry has been struck through and remains legible – correction fluid must not be used. An Official Government Veterinarian must sign to each correction.

Hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Livia Di Battista"

Hope this makes things more clear

Guest mimasawrus

Hi We brought three dogs over last October, our greyhound was nearly 12 then our dachshund nearly 10 and our J R Terrier nearly 3. When I rang quarentine an hour after arrival they said that they all got off the plane and looked like they hadnt travelled anywhere.During the 30 days quarentine I phoned everyday and they were all fine the only one that was maybe suffering just a tiny bit was Wilma the terrier and the youngest. Although after a couple of days she seemed to settle down well. They were very well looked after in quarentine in Spotswood and it was fabulous when we went to collect them. WE would not have made the move if we could not have brought our dogs as I could never have left them behind. It was a stressful experience for the whole family but well worth it as it has helped us all settle well and it is beautiful to see them in the sunshine and having fun on the fabulous beaches. Good luck with everything.;)

Guest Woody and Jane

I think as long as you can support them in their old age and they won't be a burden on the healthcare system you should be alright. :notworthy:

Sorry, I'll get my coat.