State sponsorship

Guest david_parry1

Guest snowy10
Hi All

Me and the OH are looking to apply for state sponsorship with SA but haven't a clue where to start, could anyone help????:confused:

Start by looking at this web site Home :: Make The Move

This gives more detail about the requirements State sponsorship requirements: South Australia

SA are not accepting applications at the moment until the SMPs are announced see para C of this page General skilled migration :: Make The Move

Good luck and I hope the SMPs are announced soon!!!

Guest guest3462

You will need to wait until the state migration an is released which is unlikely to be before September this will have a new list off required occupations for SA and yu can start from there. The SA immigration dept are not currently accepting new applications until the amp is in place so you need to air unfortunately. You can however look into an independent skills migration visa(175) look at the sol list on the immi website. Www. Immi.gov.au to see if your occupation is still on the list then on the same website you can do a points quiz to see if you have the 120 points necessary.

HTH

good luck with it all.

jc x

glad you asked this question David. I am due to come out on a working hol visa, and hoping to make a permanent move to SA. SA governemtn at the mo are encouraging people my age (18-30) to come out, in the hopes we'll like it so much that we'll stay.

The thing that confuses me with this, is that does this again mean we have to have the necessary skills, as a lot of us are coming out and getting jobs where no experience etc is needed.

If anyone could help clarify this it'd be greatly apreciated :D

Guest WhatNow?

Working holiday visas are available to anyone who qualifies by virtue of their age. There are no skills restrictions. Many of my UK friends have kids who have done this and you can do no better than to stay at a Backpackers hostel. All the ones I have been into have a jobs board and a travel board where people can post things of interest. Local employers understand this and also post there. There are a few websites you can google about working holidays if you want to get something sorted out before you arrive. It is true that most of the jobs are agricultural or in the winery/fruit picking sectors, though many people get work in bars (you have to get a bar 'ticket' to do this but it is easy, cheap and quick to do - bit like the food hygeine certificate in the UK) or if you have some retail experience and are in busy a tourist area you may be able to work in a surf shop or the like. I have to say that Adelaide will probably be more difficult to get work in than say Brisbane or Sydney, from what I have heard.

By the way though you can extend your WHV, if you want to migrate (as opposed to 'holiday') you will still have to apply for the appropriate visa at a later date which will involve the skills limitations. As Immigration always say 'this is no path to permanency'!

Many long term relationships have started with a WHV and ended with de facto spouse ones!

Guest guest3462

As it stands at the moment you need to have a required skill for permenant migration into Australia, but with the new working holidays that are being promoted in the uk I'm thinking that there must be some way for participants to stay permenantly or it would be an unfair method IMO! It's a tricky situation especially as the smp still hasn't been announced the best bet would be to contact immigration directly and ask them.

JC x

and you can do no better than to stay at a Backpackers hostel. All the ones I have been into have a jobs board and a travel board where people can post things of interest. Local employers understand this and also post there. There are a few websites you can google about working holidays if you want to get something sorted out before you arrive. It is true that most of the jobs are agricultural or in the winery/fruit picking sectors, though many people get work in bars (you have to get a bar 'ticket' to do this but it is easy, cheap and quick to do - bit like the food hygeine certificate in the UK) or if you have some retail experience and are in busy a tourist area you may be able to work in a surf shop or the like. I have to say that Adelaide will probably be more difficult to get work in than say Brisbane or Sydney, from what I have heard.

By the way though you can extend your WHV, if you want to migrate (as opposed to 'holiday') you will still have to apply for the appropriate visa at a later date which will involve the skills limitations. As Immigration always say 'this is no path to permanency'!

Many long term relationships have started with a WHV and ended with de facto spouse ones!

I would very much disagree with this, im coming to Adelaide in October and i already have a nice beach side rental setup so slightly confused about the hostel comment and i know plenty of people that have come out on a WHV and have then got a job which has sponsered them to stay. I know this may seem difficult to many people on here that pay alot of money and invest lots of time in coming over but for people 18-30 this is the back door into the country. More so for people over 25 who may like myself already have skills and maybe less so for people who have just left school..

Guest WhatNow?
I would very much disagree with this, im coming to Adelaide in October and i already have a nice beach side rental setup so slightly confused about the hostel comment and i know plenty of people that have come out on a WHV and have then got a job which has sponsered them to stay. I know this may seem difficult to many people on here that pay alot of money and invest lots of time in coming over but for people 18-30 this is the back door into the country. More so for people over 25 who may like myself already have skills and maybe less so for people who have just left school..

I think you may have misunderstood me - I didn't say that was how you had to do it - I just said that using the 'Backpackers' is the way that many young people on WHVs go about it if they are on a tight budget and they meet others and exchange experiences, which can be very helpful. While you are quite right about people coming on WHVs getting sponsored to stay you still have to go through the same visa process that offshore people do. The massive advantage you will have over someone trying to gain sponsorship while still in the UK is that you and your skills are known to an employer already, however the job still has to be on the 'in demand' list and the sponsoring employer still has to apply and be accepted as a sponsor. It has been increasingly difficult since the GFC to persuade an employer to sponsor, as many contributors to this site will testify, even when you have worked for them, as it involves them in making commitments they may not wish to make under the current financial constraints.

I am sure you will love your time in Adelaide and I do hope you find yourself in a position to become sponsored by your employer but I think you also need to be realistic and understand that even Australia has had an economic hard time lately and finding a suitable job is not as easy as it was. This latest campaign by the government is a little misleading as the sorts of jobs they are advertising to get young people over here are not necessarily going to appear on the Skills in Demand list.

Good Luck - I'm sure someone with your positive attitude will find a way to make it work for you.

Thank you, i hope it does to! Think anything is possible if you try hard enough so im sure (hope) it will work out.

Why would the job still have to on the demand list? if they like you, they sponsor you to stay on a Work Visa, once you have been on that long enough think 2 years you can apply for Perm Residency. Im not saying that everyone is going to do that it may be HR policy that they dont do that, im not even saying i want to stay in OZ i want to try before i buy which is best for me. With regard to Jobs i have seen a hell of alot on Seek.com.au in Adelaide. Not saying it will be easy but i still think this is the backdoor and is a lot easier than all the paper work and money people invest for other visa's (mine was free with flight and i had to wait 3 days to get it)

Guest WhatNow?

If only it were that easy! There would be a lot of happy folk posting on this forum LOL...

Australia may be thowing open the doors to 'visitors' with this advertising campaign but is only interested in you staying (and will only allow your employer to sponsor you) if your skill is in demand, as per this paragraph on the Immigration webpage about Employer Sponsorship which is available..

"For lawfully operating Australian and overseas employers to sponsor and employ skilled workers who have recognised qualifications and skills/or experience in particular occupations required in Australia."

Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

We are all waiting to see which occupations are going to become 'required' in the new State Migration Plan as many folks chances of gaining residency (temporary or permanent) depend on this.

Never mind, your WHV can keep you here for up to 24 months so plenty of time for things to change and you will be having fun and earning cash at the same time!

Enjoy!

Why would the job still have to on the demand list? if they like you, they sponsor you to stay on a Work Visa, once you have been on that long enough think 2 years you can apply for Perm Residency.

As Whatnow says above, if it were that easy I think there would be a lot of extremely fed-up locals - unemployment exists in Australia too (and redundancy) so if jobs were going to migrants when there is someone already resident in the country who could do the job just as well, there would be an outcry! Hence why it needs to be a job that could not be filled locally (i.e on the shortage list)...

As Whatnow says above, if it were that easy I think there would be a lot of extremely fed-up locals - unemployment exists in Australia too (and redundancy) .

I knew this might upset people who have folked out alot of money and time in to coming to OZ. First off if you had read my post i said its not easy, i didnt say its really easy?

I have just contacted my friend in Sydney to get the name of his Visa/route he took when his company sponsored him, rest assured his skills were not on the demand-list. Im afraid if you get a job and the company want to sponsor you for a work visa to carry on doing that job they can it doesnt have to be on a Demand-list to get a Temp Working Visa, but if this makes people feel better about paying vast sums of money to emigrate then i have no problem with that.

Also most people on this site are clearly over 30 and have children so would never have had the chance to do the WHV.

Im coming over soon so give it 6months and we will see

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt & Suzi

I was really excited yesterday after seeing sponsorship is back online but after reading the job occupation list and hubby wasn't on it I felt sick, but im hoping that other occupations are going to be able to get sponsorship! (aren't they?)

Guest WhatNow?
I knew this might upset people who have folked out alot of money and time in to coming to OZ. First off if you had read my post i said its not easy, i didnt say its really easy?

I have just contacted my friend in Sydney to get the name of his Visa/route he took when his company sponsored him, rest assured his skills were not on the demand-list. Im afraid if you get a job and the company want to sponsor you for a work visa to carry on doing that job they can it doesnt have to be on a Demand-list to get a Temp Working Visa, but if this makes people feel better about paying vast sums of money to emigrate then i have no problem with that.

Also most people on this site are clearly over 30 and have children so would never have had the chance to do the WHV.

Im coming over soon so give it 6months and we will see

You are quite right about the Working Holday Visa but it is still a temporary visa with conditions and the longest you can stay is 24 months, after which you will need to apply for one of the other visa classes like everyone else (or disappear or be deported of course!). You can indeed do this without the 'vast sums of money' that you could pay to a migration agent but you still have to pay the DIAC fees if you want an employer sponsored visa. Perhaps it might help you to read this advice from DIAC...

Whats New - Employer Sponsored Workers& Immigration

These are the folk who will say if you stay or if you go after your WHV expires...and you mess with DIAC at your peril ;)