Book about migrating to Adelaide

Diane

Hi, I've posted in a couple of threads about this, but thought I'd just do a quick thread of its own, in case anyone misses those and is looking for Christmas present ideas!

One of my friends here - a fellow migrant here in Adelaide - has just written and had published a book about migrating from the UK to Australia, mainly about Adelaide. It's full of hints and tips about the migration process, what to expect when you get here, and the similarities and differences to look out for between the UK and Oz.

I promise I'm not on commission, but I got to read the proof copy of the book earlier this week and was totally blown away - I reckon it should be required reading for all new migrants thinking of moving here!

It's called The Same Difference - a Sideways Look at Migrating from the UK to Australia. It's not a huge tome - just "90 pages of fun and facts" but it's a really easy, informative and fun book for anyone thinking of moving out here.

I know the author interviewed loads of people when she was putting it together so it has lots of stuff on what worked for people, and what didn't, things to look out for and be aware of. In fact, I was one of the interviewees (wahey, my first claim to fame - well reflected fame maybe!) - but there's lots of people who know a lot more than me (surely not!!) so you get a very balanced cross section of views, not my biased bigotry!!

Anyway, if anyone is interested in getting a copy it's available from 1st November - cost $21 for people in Australia and $25 for people in the UK - both prices inclusive of postage and packaging.

PM me if you'd like details of how to order one, and I'll pass on the author's details.

Diane

________

Guest Angie12

Hi Diane

I'm very new to this site but have read alot of interesting and helpfull things about Adelaide , me and my family are at the mo waiting to hear back as to whether we will be considered to apply for a visa, very exciting but nerve racking stuff !!

I am very interested in buying this book, i think it will be really benefically for all of us as a family to get to know abit more of about where we will soon be living, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Many Thanks

Angie

Guest Angie12
Hi Angie

Mandy's now put a link on the Home2Home website to order the book - here's her post: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/barbie/19828-migration-experiences-book.html

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy the book if you get one :D

Diane

Thank you so much will def buy as it sounds like its gonna be really helpful:)

Angie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lastboyscout

Due to it raining and a job cancelling on me , I came home and my wife had bought me this book to read;)

I have just spent at least an hour tittering away to myself at it , I would recommend all future migrants have this book in a welcome pack before they start the process of visa applications and even those of you who have settled not just in Adelaide but wherever you are to read it. I know its primarily about South Australia and Adelaide but it is so funny and true and I looked back on our time here and could relate to the vast majority of advice/help and insight that the book gives ( I wish I`d had it before we came , we`d have been better equipped :biglaugh:)

Well done Mandy :notworthy:

Guest deleriumal

I bought this book on the recommendation of this site. Firstly can I say that I was WELL Impressed with the postage since it was only released on the Monday after I had ordered it and I got it by the end of the same week!!

I am only half way through it presently but am enjoying it thoroughly. It has already highlighted to me that my current driving may have to calm down a little or else I could loose my licence within weeks of moving!!

I can't wait to finish it and learn all I can about our new home.

Guest WhatNow?

That comment made me laugh out loud - after visiting a few times I made a conscious effort to 'practise' my Adelaide driving in the UK so I'd be ready! It must have worked - haven't had a ticket yet..haha...It all comes down to self hypnosis along the lines of 'I don't need to rush...I don't need to rush...the beach will still be there in 20 mins...I don't need to rush!

Thank you for all your kind comments. And lastboyscout - your OH did the usual brilliant job on my hair - one recommendation deserves another! Thanks Michelle - didn't we have a good natter?!

Guest WhatNow?

Oh forgot to say - yes, the posting times to the UK are quite good at present. In fact I posted several copies out last Monday, 2 to the Gold Coast and 3 to the UK. The first one arrived on the Gold Coast on Tuesday, the second on Wednesday and the UK ones on Friday - must be some sort of record! I expect that pre-Christmas postal times will start to increase soon, so if you want a copy in the UK for a Christmas gift for yourself (or even for someone else), don't leave it too long to order. P&P is included in the price, further details on our website, see below.

Guest WhatNow?

Thanks Gary, I will put it in the post today (Tuesday) - last week it was taking about 5 days (when I posted on a Monday) but if I post it today, I guess you'll get it by middle of next week, latest. It would be great if you could email and let me know when it has arrived so I can get a feel for how delivery times are moving as we get nearer to Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...