All Visa advice gratefully accepted!

Guest Marian

Hi,

I'm on holiday here in Adelaide for last 7 wks visiting my son (4 year sponsorship visa from his work co.) and my nephew, wife and boys who are permanent residents here, I would love to return and live here but don't know if any visa options available to me. (56, widow, 3 other children in Ireland) I called into Dept of Imm. to day in the city and got no help really just advised to get migration agent. I have many yrs experience working with the elderly or children with special needs. My nephew would be willing to sponsor me, any ideas, folks??

Thanks, Marian

Guest WhatNow?

Sorry Marian, it's actually very dodgy to ask someone too give you visa advice if they aren't a registered agent. There is a reason that Immi SA gave you that suggestion - Migration agents here are regulated and have to undergo Continuous Professional Development so they stay up to date with current legislation. Things change so often with respect to visas that anything people may say on forum sites about their own experiences may be out of date even if they have migrated recently. Also since the state migration plan isn't confirmed yet, no-one really knows how changes to that will affect new visas.

Most good agents will give you a free initial interview and it seems to me that this is what you should be thinking of doing so you know for sure what your options are. You can consult an Australian registered migration agent whether you are here or in the UK and you won't pay VAT, and their charges are also capped, or you can consult someone in the UK who may not be so well regulated. There is a good website with tips about how to choose an Australian registered agent https://www.mara.gov.au/Consumer-Information/How-to-Choose-a-Migration-Agent/default.aspx and there are a few who post on here (such as Allan Collet of GoMatilda). I would recommend you to get the right information from an authoritative source rather than rely on speculation from informal conversations.

Recent research for my book on migration suggests that of the 55% of the migrants who used a migration agent, 91% gave their agent a 'very good' to excellent' score, a satisfaction rating that might surprise the cynics out there (it certainly surprised me!). Not using an agent is OK for those for whom the application is a straightforward one, but I would imagine, from the information in your post, that you probably would not fall into this category and would benefit from a free inital consultation before you get your hopes up.

Loads of people on here will be able to recommend you a good agent - John Adams of Immigration2Oz is often mentioned here and I know him personally as a 'good guy' who will not rip you off, also Sherie@migratemates.com is a Pom from Stoke on Trent who migrated herself 5 years ago and is now a MARA registered agent who often works with us at Home2Home Settlements.

Good Luck and enjoy your stay. I hope you get some good news, whoever you consult...

Guest WhatNow?
I know there is a migration agent comes on here from time to time hopefully they can give you some advice :jimlad:

Jackie

Yes , that's Allan Collet - maybe he will help...