2 month update

andi

Nearly 2 months in and thought I would post my update as reading others peoples really helped me.

Leaving the UK was really tough and made harder as Martins dad had just been taken into hospital so we never had our relax in Manchester airport hotel as planned. Everything was so rushed at the end and I felt we really didn’t get to say goodbye properly even though we did visit people again and again.

We finally packed at the airport hotel and realised we were seriously over weight and had to use TNT to ship a bag over.

Saying goodbye to my boys and my family was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I think if we had the slightest problem at check in (whilst crying my eyes out) I know I wouldn’t have got on the plane.

The flight was fine and I managed to sleep with the aid of sleeping pills, our overnight in Melbourne didn’t give us the effect we wanted as didn’t sleep a wink so were dead on our feet on our first day in Adelaide.

We had a rental in Glenelg organised via internet, which although was in a great place the accommodation was tiny and not very nice to say the least.

We arrived on Friday and spent the day being driven around by the meet and greet person, we didn’t really take anything in and then collapsed into bed early.

Saturday and Sunday were spent just getting used to the time zone, doing some shopping and organising simm cards, internet and phone cards.

During the next week we managed to sort our driving licence, medicare, banks, tax number and bought a car all quite easily really and the people were so helpful.

We looked at loads of rentals but there wasn’t much on the market, we applied for a couple but didn’t get them. A tip is to get as much paperwork together as you can, references, bank statements, letter regarding jobs and a bit about yourselves.

By the 2nd week we were feeling a bit lonely as didn’t know anyone, but then through PIA we were invited to join a family for a cuppa which was a god send to actually talk with somebody who has been through the same as us. By the time we left we felt so much better and needless to say thank you Sheila and Mark, you are now great friends.

Mid October was our 25th wedding anniversary which was hard as never spent such a big event without my family with us but we did renew our wedding vows on the beach with some friends and had a great day.

Martin was lucky and got a job the 2nd week, I couldn’t really look for a job until we had a rental sorted as all the viewings were about 4pm, but we finally got a lovely house in Kingston Park, moved in 2 weeks ago. It was like when we first got married as we didn’t have anything but a few people lent us some stuff so we just about managed to get through.

Our furniture arrived a couple of days ago and it is now starting to feel like home, we used John Mason who are coupled with Wridgway over here, they were fantastic at both ends and couldn’t fault them at all. Only a couple of minor breakages and bumps which is not bad considering what the furniture had been through.

We have also joined a local surfing club which is great to meet people and join in as not having children I think it is more difficult to make friends.

I didn’t have much luck with a job for a few weeks and then 3 came at once, took the wrong one and only lasted 2 days, that was probably the most down I have ever felt as so wanted to make a go of it. Luckily one of the other jobs came through and start in 2 weeks (by chance this was via a person who lived a couple of miles from us in the UK and we met when we went to look at the rental they were leaving).

We have had so many ups and downs and they come when you least expect them and im sure there are many more to come.

Some days are so worth it and others I just wanna jump on the next flight home and give Honey a big kiss from her nana. Skype is amazing and we have promises of family coming out next year. Hopefully my boys and Honey are coming out February and I cant wait.

I am still really tearful all the time but not sure if it is just the emotions of missing people and the non-familiarity of everything or just the fact that is coming up to a year since I lost my dad and I think about him all the time and miss him so much. I hope he is looking down on me and keeping an eye on me.

We have to be careful with money as the exchange rate is not too good and you don’t know what it around the corner but you find the places to buy things from and shop around as its really worth it.

I also have to thank everyone on this website as it is fantastic and no matter how silly the question I have received all the information I need and the support has been great. Thank you.

I know I still have a big journey in front on me and I don’t know how it will turn out but for now I am taking one day at a time and counting the days until my family come to see me.

A very moving post, thanks for sharing it.

I wish you lots of luck in settling down in Adelaide - time really will heal you and the sun will shine brighter than ever for you then. It will be wonderful if your family can come over for a visit - it really is a small world and they will appreciate the place too and be able to see why you wanted to live 'down under.'

All the best.

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
Nearly 2 months in and thought I would post my update as reading others peoples really helped me.

Leaving the UK was really tough and made harder as Martins dad had just been taken into hospital so we never had our relax in Manchester airport hotel as planned. Everything was so rushed at the end and I felt we really didn’t get to say goodbye properly even though we did visit people again and again.

We finally packed at the airport hotel and realised we were seriously over weight and had to use TNT to ship a bag over.

Saying goodbye to my boys and my family was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I think if we had the slightest problem at check in (whilst crying my eyes out) I know I wouldn’t have got on the plane.

The flight was fine and I managed to sleep with the aid of sleeping pills, our overnight in Melbourne didn’t give us the effect we wanted as didn’t sleep a wink so were dead on our feet on our first day in Adelaide.

We had a rental in Glenelg organised via internet, which although was in a great place the accommodation was tiny and not very nice to say the least.

We arrived on Friday and spent the day being driven around by the meet and greet person, we didn’t really take anything in and then collapsed into bed early.

Saturday and Sunday were spent just getting used to the time zone, doing some shopping and organising simm cards, internet and phone cards.

During the next week we managed to sort our driving licence, medicare, banks, tax number and bought a car all quite easily really and the people were so helpful.

We looked at loads of rentals but there wasn’t much on the market, we applied for a couple but didn’t get them. A tip is to get as much paperwork together as you can, references, bank statements, letter regarding jobs and a bit about yourselves.

By the 2nd week we were feeling a bit lonely as didn’t know anyone, but then through PIA we were invited to join a family for a cuppa which was a god send to actually talk with somebody who has been through the same as us. By the time we left we felt so much better and needless to say thank you Sheila and Mark, you are now great friends.

Mid October was our 25th wedding anniversary which was hard as never spent such a big event without my family with us but we did renew our wedding vows on the beach with some friends and had a great day.

Martin was lucky and got a job the 2nd week, I couldn’t really look for a job until we had a rental sorted as all the viewings were about 4pm, but we finally got a lovely house in Kingston Park, moved in 2 weeks ago. It was like when we first got married as we didn’t have anything but a few people lent us some stuff so we just about managed to get through.

Our furniture arrived a couple of days ago and it is now starting to feel like home, we used John Mason who are coupled with Wridgway over here, they were fantastic at both ends and couldn’t fault them at all. Only a couple of minor breakages and bumps which is not bad considering what the furniture had been through.

We have also joined a local surfing club which is great to meet people and join in as not having children I think it is more difficult to make friends.

I didn’t have much luck with a job for a few weeks and then 3 came at once, took the wrong one and only lasted 2 days, that was probably the most down I have ever felt as so wanted to make a go of it. Luckily one of the other jobs came through and start in 2 weeks (by chance this was via a person who lived a couple of miles from us in the UK and we met when we went to look at the rental they were leaving).

We have had so many ups and downs and they come when you least expect them and im sure there are many more to come.

Some days are so worth it and others I just wanna jump on the next flight home and give Honey a big kiss from her nana. Skype is amazing and we have promises of family coming out next year. Hopefully my boys and Honey are coming out February and I cant wait.

I am still really tearful all the time but not sure if it is just the emotions of missing people and the non-familiarity of everything or just the fact that is coming up to a year since I lost my dad and I think about him all the time and miss him so much. I hope he is looking down on me and keeping an eye on me.

We have to be careful with money as the exchange rate is not too good and you don’t know what it around the corner but you find the places to buy things from and shop around as its really worth it.

I also have to thank everyone on this website as it is fantastic and no matter how silly the question I have received all the information I need and the support has been great. Thank you.

I know I still have a big journey in front on me and I don’t know how it will turn out but for now I am taking one day at a time and counting the days until my family come to see me.

Hi Andi

That is a very moving post and i could feel the raw emotion in your words.

We've been here 21 months now, and I've always said that the highs and lows of situations whilst in adelaide are so extreme, they come in waves and just when you think you can't possibly take any more another one comes. I don't mean to scare you when i say this, but please be reassured that the highs really do equal the lows after a few months. We've moved home three times (they're highs and lows) and have met quite a few people (some I've let go and others I've kept a hold of). You have to remember why you came here, everyone's reasons are different, so when you're struggling, just make an extra special effort to do things to achieve the reasons you came here (ie; adventure reason = exploring the outback/traveling etc).

This isn't meant to be patronsisng by the way so I'm sorry if it reads that way, and some might say its even commone sense but, sometimes when you're in the extreme high or low, its hard to remember why you came. This forum is excellent for putting some perspective on things when you feel overwhelmed with things, but if your feeling sad I'd make a personal suggetsion not to read the returning home section as i always want to get the credit card out and get straight back on a flight home (i still call it home yet love adelaide/australia).

Pleas don't feel you have to be sad and isolated, shout for a cuppa and someone will ask you out. one thing my adelaide adventure has taught me is that if you really want something you have to fight for it, so shout up and someone will definately help.

Take care (and yes I'm a bossy boots). xxxx

Hi Andi

Great post. I totally remember that feeling especially at the 2 month stage...OMG what have we done I constantly thought and yes lots of tears! It took around 14 months before I felt settled and even now 2 years in, you get those low days. From my experience, friends make a big impact on getting settled here... they become like a family.

We started off in Marino, then Seacliff, so know Kingston Park quite well, so I think you have chosen a great place to start, those views and beachs close by can help alot on a down day.

If you every fancy a brew or a glass or two of wine, give us a shout.

Take care, it does get easier

Carole x

hi Andi,great post.we are packing at the minute and having to get rid of so much stuff.i have just sat down and after reading your story i am having yet another one of my emotional moments.it's 4 weeks today until we fly out for our new life in glenelg.Sharon[39],Mick[45] and just our 2 suitcases.no jobs but a month booked on a campsite.Mick doesn't know why i get worried sometimes!

Guest Guest75
Great post, thanks for sharing an d please continue to do so.

As an observation, I lost my dad in 1982 and I still think of him at least once a week, you just get to live with it and as time passes it will get less raw I promise.

Lost mine in 1995 and the same as you.

When my Uncle visited a few years ago he said Dad would have loved it here and be very proud of us:D