Container chosen by customs

Guest Bodie

Hi. Our house was packed up by Anglo Pacific in late October ready to be shipped to Adelaide. I later received notification from Kent Shipping in Adelaide that our container is to be checked - at our cost. Was anyone else preselected by customs; if so, how did it go?

Guest dglamoore

This is nothing to do with preselection - everyone has to pay custom fees. All containers are checked off the ship by customs and then further checked by AQIS. Our 20ft container was approx $380. Your shippers should have told you about this fee :v_SPIN:

Lisa:cute:

Hi, we used two companies as some of our things had to go from Spain to UK and then to OZ. Luker Bros in Oxford advised of the fee and Transglobal in Exeter advised of the fee and we were able to pay in advance with them so that it worked out cheaper for us. Transglobal were excellent and they have branches throughout UK.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

A bit of advice for those in the UK, when your container arrives at the port it is unpacked and awaits a customs officer who after reading the contents list will come around and ask to look in boxes xyz etc., these boxes are normally the ones that contain shoes, tools, timber ornaments, golf clubs and so on.

Now to the point of this post when our stuff was packed my tools were spread over about 12 boxes, so on arrival the customs looked into all of them, taking more time and therfore costing us more to clear.

If anybody is in the same position ask your packers to keep your tools together to minimise time this end.

Guzzler

Another tip one of our shippers gave us was to make sure that the boxes that were likly to be opened ie tools shose bikes ect were at the front of the container not the back! They recon that the inspector will then come along look at what he wants to and go away rather than having to wait while the hole container is emptied to get at that one box at the back thinking I'm board what can i look at whist I'm waiting!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I was told everything comes out of all containers and is layed out on the floor in the customs shed, this is so sniffer woof woof can go round and have a sniff! They then pick which box is opened as to what is written on the list, like Guzzler says, they open the boxes with garden equip, tools etc. and in my case chrimbo decs, although there were no cones!

sarah

ps my friend bought all the sport videos, including the one where we beat the Aussies in rugby final, she says she has never seen the goings of it!!!:chatterbox:

Guest dglamoore
I was told everything comes out of all containers and is layed out on the floor in the customs shed, this is so sniffer woof woof can go round and have a sniff! They then pick which box is opened as to what is written on the list, like Guzzler says, they open the boxes with garden equip, tools etc. and in my case chrimbo decs, although there were no cones!

sarah

ps my friend bought all the sport videos, including the one where we beat the Aussies in rugby final, she says she has never seen the goings of it!!!:chatterbox:

Yes we were told that and our stuff turned up in a different container. A few things had been opened and sealed back up too and random things rather than the stuff we thought would be checked :v_SPIN:

Lisa:D