PingPong Poms

Guest GAFFBAM

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi all, got a question for you. We have a Sub Class 136 visa (permanent resident). We migrated to Oz in May '09 and returned to the UK. If we decide to return, do we have to apply for a returning visa or can we return on the original visa which is still in date?

I note there is resident return to Australia visa (155). We're not sure if we need to apply for this or not?

Thanks for your help!

The way I understood it was that you can travel without any hassel during the 5 years of the original and after that if you don't have citizenship you just have to apply for a return visa then. Best to double check though.

Guest guest4504

I have the same visa, yes you can travel to and from without any probs for 5 years. But after that if you dont have citizenship or living in Oz when the visa has expired, no return visa form or anything ! You will have to do the whole process again.

Guest m.jephcott

You can return if your visa has not expired, however you can apply for an extension if your visa has expired but it is less than 5 years since you left. You need to make sure you have good reason to return if this is the case. Ian Harrop helped us to extend our visa earlier this year as it expired last year, it did cost us quite a bit though.

Hi all, got a question for you. We have a Sub Class 136 visa (permanent resident). We migrated to Oz in May '09 and returned to the UK. If we decide to return, do we have to apply for a returning visa or can we return on the original visa which is still in date?

I note there is resident return to Australia visa (155). We're not sure if we need to apply for this or not?

Thanks for your help!

I remember you guys....i bought the PINK tickets from you......are you thinking of coming back to OZ?

Guest shella_n
I remember you guys....i bought the PINK tickets from you......are you thinking of coming back to OZ?

Would love to hear your story - why you went home and why your thinking of coming back - :wubclub: I quite often find myself wanting to go home and when I read the ping pong posts it often reminds me of why we are here and not in the uk anymore

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. :)

Guest WhatNow?

Hi, Lippy is right...You can return at any time while your visa is still in date. The resident return visa is for people who are in Australia and whose PR visa has expired but who want to go overseas and return and must be applied for before they leave Australia, so is totally irrelevant for your situation while you are in the UK.

If you come back to live here and your visa then expires, even if you have become a citizen, you will need a RRV if you travel on your UK passport (as my nephew discovered to his cost recently). Once you become a citizen you should apply for and use an Australian passport., it is not as 'optional' as it is made to sound. This was explained in no uncertain terms to said nephew as he went through security at Adelaide airport to visit the UK! He had to apply for an Australian passport from the UK which was a lot of hassle and cost twice as much as doing the same in Australia. If he had not he would not have been allowed back in - citizen or not, if he was travelling on his UK passport.

I know people who have returned to the UK and allowed their PR visa to expire, then as the other poster said you are into starting the whole process again - and with the changes in migration rules you may not get a visa next time. I'm not sure if you can get a tourist visa if you are on the 'system' as being a PR, maybe someone else here has tried this? It certainly wasn't an option according to the Immigration Officer who dealt with my nephew - it was stay here and get the RRV before you go or leave and apply for the Australian passport from the UK. Of course if you haven't got your citizenship you don't have that second option.

• 1 month later...
Guest MikenSueNW3

Hi, Lippy is right...You can return at any time while your visa is still in date. The resident return visa is for people who are in Australia and whose PR visa has expired but who want to go overseas and return and must be applied for before they leave Australia, so is totally irrelevant for your situation while you are in the UK.

If you come back to live here and your visa then expires, even if you have become a citizen, you will need a RRV if you travel on your UK passport (as my nephew discovered to his cost recently). Once you become a citizen you should apply for and use an Australian passport., it is not as 'optional' as it is made to sound. This was explained in no uncertain terms to said nephew as he went through security at Adelaide airport to visit the UK! He had to apply for an Australian passport from the UK which was a lot of hassle and cost twice as much as doing the same in Australia. If he had not he would not have been allowed back in - citizen or not, if he was travelling on his UK passport.

I know people who have returned to the UK and allowed their PR visa to expire, then as the other poster said you are into starting the whole process again - and with the changes in migration rules you may not get a visa next time. I'm not sure if you can get a tourist visa if you are on the 'system' as being a PR, maybe someone else here has tried this? It certainly wasn't an option according to the Immigration Officer who dealt with my nephew - it was stay here and get the RRV before you go or leave and apply for the Australian passport from the UK. Of course if you haven't got your citizenship you don't have that second option.

G'day

Would I be right in thinking, however, that if one gets citizenship and an Oz passport (while keeping a UK passport), leaves Oz on that but then enters (and leaves) the UK/EU using one's UK passport, and re-enters Oz with the Oz passport, all is OK?

Mike

Australia like you to leave and return on the Aussie passport, and yes you enter and leave UK on the British one...

Our 3 boys (not yet DD) have both passports, DD's only got Australian so far (need to get in gear and apply for a UK one for her) and its quite a weighty bag with all the passports in for everyone!