How Much money is required..ball park...

Guest Big E

Hi again, Just another question....hopefully quick one...

How much money do I legally need in savings to emigrate on a 176 visa.

I have somewhere to live (distant relatives)... until I can cope on my own....

I picked up on it saying $20000 but I am on my own with somewhere to stay.

Thanks in advance..

Big E

Guest guest3462

Family CompositionTotal fundsCash or savings component

Main applicant only AUD$ 25,000 total assests and AUD$ 20,000 cash savings

Main applicant plus one (1) dependent AUD$ 30,000 total assests and AUD$ 20,000 cash savings

Main applicant plus two (2) dependents AUD$ 35,000 total assests and AUD$ 20,000 cash savings

Main applicant plus three (3) dependents AUD$ 40,000 total assests and AUD$ 20,000 cash savings

Assets can include property, cars, caravans etc.

I cut and pasted this from the SA immi website (as im not too sure how to do the link thing) hope this helps. We had to send bank statements to prove to them that we had the actual funds there.

Morning, thanks for getting back.

If you have a job lined up and a place to live lined up do you still need to prove how much you have.

This could be a massive stumbling block for me as I will be living with (relatives who cant sponsor me) but are willing to look after me. It going to be hard to get a job without being at the interview. (You want to see where your going etc).

I dont think it will take me long to find a job but you never know. Can I include my moving address on my application. Will that help. I have heard that you need to show that you can support yourself for 2 years because your not intitled to benefit. I have someone who is willing to put a roof over my head aswell as feed me..

Thanks again,

Big E

Thanks Leigh..How long did it take from start to finish for your 176. I have been intouch with Ian Harrop and they are telling me to get my application in by the start of Feb as with the rule changes in July I might struggle...

Cheers,

Big E

Guest Mizzmp

My hubby will be the main applicant and we have 3 kids so I assume we would be 1 main plus 3 dependents? Also, do we have to have $40,000 in assets PLUS $20,000 cash?

Hi all, Been speaking to Ian Harrop today and he said that you need to show savings ie: bank statement signed by your bank manager. He was the one who started my question about this. Will be very interesting to see if everyone else who is already in Aus had to produce proof of savings...

Cheers

Big E

Guest guest3462

We have definately had to prove our savings and asset status to DIAC with our 176 application. I don't know if they ask everyone to provide these details, but we had to send bank statements, wage slips, tax remittance advice and mortgage payment details etc.

I would be staying with relatives (who cant sponsor because they are distant, more like friends). I know I dont have $20,000 in savings. I would be lucky to have $5000. Is this going to be my downfall..... What happens when you dont have any assets, just the cash...and does it need to be bang on $20,000 or a couple of grand less would be ok.... Answers on a post card please.....

Thanks again,

Big E

To clarify it will be $25,000 total assets but $20,000 of this must be cash (ie readily available) for one applicant.

People have been refused sponsorship in the past because they cannot show funds.

The amount required hasn't altered but the exchange rate means that is many more ££££ than before!!!!

I don't know how flexible they are? can your parents help at all???

I would be staying with relatives (who cant sponsor because they are distant, more like friends). I know I dont have $20,000 in savings. I would be lucky to have $5000. Is this going to be my downfall..... What happens when you dont have any assets, just the cash...and does it need to be bang on $20,000 or a couple of grand less would be ok.... Answers on a post card please.....

Thanks again,

Big E

Got any family members that can transfer some money into your account long enough for you to get a statement and then give it back to them?

Maybe it's a state sponsored requirement to have a certain amount of money, as I have never had to prove how much (or in my case how little) money I have.

If you've got some accomodation sorted, then you won't need an awful lot of money really. If you find a job in the first few weeks, you'll live off that. I think they ask for proof of money as you cannot claim certain benefits for 2 years after arrival possibly.

Not sure which way to go now. Looks like even my 10 years experience in work & my City & Guilds is not good enough....The agent said I should have a HNC/HND in my trade. Cant see how you can get a HNC drafttspeson. If you have a HNC your an engineer not a drafty...I am a Mechanical & Electrical CAD Technician/Draftsperson within the Consulting Engineers industry. My occupation is valued at 40 points on the list and its on the SOL list. I thought I was lucky have a choice of two diciplines M or E draftsperson. But if my City & Guilds is not recognised im up the creek without a paddle. Will find out properly though in the next few days.

I am thinking about a mini holiday out to see if I can find a sponsor.

Really confussed now as all the agents seem to be saying different things....

Is it there job to confuse you or to make you feel at ease.....

Cheers for now

Big E

Guest guest3462

Taking a look back at our original state sponsorship application, we had to show that we had the minimum amounts shown on the finacial pro forma form. It didn't matter if you didn't own any valuable assets but you will have to show that you have the full amount in savings if you cant come to that amount. Do you have a car you could put down? It all adds up. Also someone else suggested if you could get someone to lend you the money just to get a bank statement - you only need one statement to show the money is there (they dont know if its yours or not) It was hard for us to get the amounts needed as we had already been living in aus for a year and had spent most of our savings setting up stall here!! We did mention this on our application though and they did take all of this into account at the time.

Another way to get your foot in the door, and it is a lot quicker to get the visa is to try and get employment sponsorship on the RSMS visa. The only thing with this is that you still have to do theskills assessment and if your quals dont add up it will cost you to get them transferred into aussie ones. (Rich's medical quals were as good as useless once we were here and it has cost us many $1000's to get to where we are at now, and we still need to pay another $5000 for him to take the aussie equivilent exams for him to become a consultant. He has also had to redo 2 years of training here, making him more junior now than he was 5 years ago in the UK!!!!)

It is all very hard but don't give up hope, if you have the will to get here and succeed then you will. Good luck!!

Guest The Dimmocks

We didnt have to show any proof of our savings or assets. The form asking what we had witnessed by a solicitor was all we had to provide. We had the funds that we stated but no proof was ever asked for.

We are on a SS 176 PR visa.

Guest kangomik

You'll find C&G is not regonised, to be honest i don't think ONG, HNC, HND, are either but are a starting point when applying at Tafe.

NVQ seems to get better recognition.

Money in banks is a funny thing, in other countries they have been known to check when the money went in, where it came from and then check again a few months later. As i say that's in some other countries.

They are not bothered where you live or who with, they want to see the cash, there's thousands of applicants lined up so i imagine they stick to what is quoted.

Don't give up to easily, it's all part of the process. If you want it enough you will find a way.

Not sure which way to go now. Looks like even my 10 years experience in work & my City & Guilds is not good enough....The agent said I should have a HNC/HND in my trade. Cant see how you can get a HNC drafttspeson. If you have a HNC your an engineer not a drafty...I am a Mechanical & Electrical CAD Technician/Draftsperson within the Consulting Engineers industry. My occupation is valued at 40 points on the list and its on the SOL list. I thought I was lucky have a choice of two diciplines M or E draftsperson. But if my City & Guilds is not recognised im up the creek without a paddle. Will find out properly though in the next few days.

I am thinking about a mini holiday out to see if I can find a sponsor.

Really confussed now as all the agents seem to be saying different things....

Is it there job to confuse you or to make you feel at ease.....

Cheers for now

Big E

There seems to be a little confusion in this thread about qualifications.

I'm an Architectural Technician / Drafter and my qualification is a HNC. C&G aren't recognised by the assessment bodies as far as I know. ONC/OND's aren't recognised either, as they aren't really a full qualification.

Vetassess confirmed that my HNC was equivalent to an AQF Diploma.

NVQ's (Not Very Qualified) aren't recognised in the Engineering / Construction industries as far as I know - I've never come across anyone with one.

Can you get your C&G converted into a HNC/D by doing any extra modules? Having been job seeking in the industry, and speaking to recruitment consultants, there isn't much chance of sponsorship by an employer as there just isn't the shortage of people in that industry. But that's not to say you won't find a company willing - it's a big gamble to go over there on the hope of a RSMS visa.

Are you eligible for a WHV? Then at least you'd have a year to sort it out.

Hi all,

Many thanks for everybodies input so far.

I take it you where on a 3/4 year course to become a Technician for the HNC. A draftsperson does not go to college for that period of time. If I was starting out now as a draftsperson it might be a HNC but any employer would prefer experience over a bit of paper with someone whos got 4 years experience of how to attend college. (Dont mean that to sound nasty ortowards you, its not intended)..

I sat my City & Guilds AutoCAD draftperson exam 10 years ago. This was then I think replaced with NVQ which I dont have as they ran afterwards (bit like 'O' levels and then GCSE's).... I have never been a HNC holder in my dicipline as I am not an engineer, in my field I am a Draftsman (Sol list 3123/11). In the UK, after 5 years experience you are classed as having the knowledge of a HNC as you have the job experience. I am currently trying to get these provisionally assessed. It would be a shame not to qualifiy as I would offer more to an employer than the average man. I have supervised over 10 drawing staff at one stage in my career and ran the drawing office and taught engineers CAD.

Oh well time will tell.... fingers crossed

Yes I did a 4 year course to gain my HNC - but I was also working at the same time, it was an apprenticeship. I've since got 11 years experience, and was a Senior Technician when I left my job in the UK, in charge of 5 other Technicians. I'd rather be in a junior role, as at least I'd get some work done and not have to look after everyone else and solve all their problems! :biglaugh:

So do you have a C&G in AutoCAD then? I know nowadays they do NVQs in AutoCAD, although I've not got any quali's for using it, I taught myself as I started on a drawing board back in the day (showing my age here lol).

Can you not just sit the exam for the NVQs? I have often thought about doing that to get a bit of paper to show I can use it. At least then it will be accepted for the visa application. It would be worth it to get a 176 over a RSMS visa, as a 176 is a permanent visa and once you've got it it's yours for good. If you lost your job, a RSMS visa would be taken away and you'd have 28 days to seek out another employer willing to sponsor you or get yourself on an overpriced Qantas flight back to sunny Heathrow.

It looks like I will have to sit and wait to see what the prelims are of my assessment. I did try applying for job vacancies in Adelaide explaining my position and would they be interested if I had my Visa. 3 out of 5 came back with 1 wanting to keep them informed after reading my CV. I was suprised to have any.

Companies seem to worry about being burnt by empty promises from the past.

It all hangs on a thread now if my 10 years work Experience & C&G AutoCAD cert is good enough.

Cheers,

Big E