Advice needed regarding Adelaide Recce

Guest ellenafaith

Guest ellenafaith

My Husband and I have four days in Adelaide to find out as much as possible about living there. We would like any advice on what we should concentrate on as our time is limited.

Thank you

Guest Jo&Phil

Crumbs ... 4 days will be a bit of a head-spinning tour .... I guess it depends if you need to find out about employment/schools or simply get a feel for the place.

To get a feel for the city and way of life in a short time it may be better to base yourself in the city and hire a car and then:

- Stroll round the Parklands north and south of the main city (or Central Business District, CBD, as you will hear it called)

- North Terrace precinct (lots of hotels), art gallery, museums etc and a short walk to main city centre shopping (Rundle Mall/St)

- Central Market (for breakfast and a wander)

- Tram to Glenelg (close beach side suburb) which will give you idea of public transport

- If you fancy beach or easy access to it ..... drive round the southern beach suburbs (Brighton, Seaford, Hallet Cove) and adjacent areas (Flagstaff Hill, Seacombe Gdns, Glengowrie, Marion) and the slightly more northern ones (Semaphore, Largs) and those to the west, (Grange, Henley Beach)

- If you might prefer more country living .... look at Blackwood, Mount Barker and other 'villages' in the Adelaide Hills (20-40 mins from city depending where) and perhaps McLaren Vale (45 mins south)

There are endless employment agencies (some significantly better than others!) and industry related associations which may be a good source of information on employment depending on what you do (but that can probably be done from home, online or via email or phone)

Schools: there are lots, both state and private (private here is more common than in the UK and different in some ways - ie: it's not all Eton College) DECS (Dept of Education & Childrens' Services) should have a list of their website

Good luck with the visit

Guest ellenafaith

Thank you so much for your reply, it is very helpful. We really just want to get a feel for Adelaide at the moment. My husband is a chef and I am kept busy with our 18 month old with another on the way due in May. We have State sponsorship and are now Cat.2 so we are hoping to move this year as we applied in Dec 08. The areas we are interested in at the moment are Hallet Cove and West Lakes, I am not sure if I should be looking at schools yet?

Thank you again for your advice