475 to Permanent

RJECSAUNDERS

Just on the off chance someone can help...

we are in Adelaide on 475 visa (Hubby being main applicant) and are hoping to go for permanent residency later this year. I have suffered with Rhuematoid Arthritis for years now and this was the case when our visa was granted. However, my Rheumatoligist in Adelaide has reccomended that I trial a new medication - Etanercept. I understand that this is pretty costly and I have been approved for the treatment but obviously presently we are on a receprical health agreement. My concern is, will being on this new and expensive medication have a negative effect on our application for permanent residency? We will easily meet all the other criteria.

I have tried talking to Immigration, but after sitting on the phone for nearly an hour, being passed to various departments, the general opinion is "they don't know".

I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar when applying for permanent residency from a 475 (we have full private health cover by the way)

Here's hoping... Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie

I'm under the impression that medicals are not required for the 887 visa unless specifically requested and having just been through the online application process cannot remember any tricky questions with regard to health or medications.

If you passed your original 475 meds then I don't think you'll be asked to repeat them and without the results, Immigration will be non the wiser to the medication you're taking.

I hope others can help or clarify things a bit.

Best wishes, I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

Odette :)

I hate to say, but any medical condition may take a long, long time to get you a perm visa. It took us 10 years as my wife has MS (something similar, really). ANY medical condition that can cause them to say no, they will say no. After, you have to go to tribunal, and then the minister.

Medical insurance is not an argument. Me bringing in several hundred thousand $'s profit from abroad a year, and employing several Aussies was not an argument. If they can say no, they just will.

I don't want to dishearten you, but be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. We made it despite many hurdles.

Also happy to share the migration lawyers who helped, but you probably have that covered.

Hi Julie

I'm under the impression that medicals are not required for the 887 visa unless specifically requested and having just been through the online application process cannot remember any tricky questions with regard to health or medications.

If you passed your original 475 meds then I don't think you'll be asked to repeat them and without the results, Immigration will be non the wiser to the medication you're taking.

I hope others can help or clarify things a bit.

Best wishes, I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

Odette :)

We just spent many years getting an 886. There are very similar medicals, and can indeed be 'reused' I think. The condition my wife has allowed us to get the 487 for 10 years, but not the 886. That went to a tribunal and then the minister.