Vetassess Bricklayer Practical Assessment

Guest MrsKatie

Guest MrsKatie

Hi, My hubby is due to have his Vetassess Practical Test in Bricklaying at the end of Feb and was just wondering if anyone has done it can give us some info or offer any advice.

Thanks in advance

Katie x

hi i did my practical here in ireland for plastering,it was just a matter of mixing render and plastering a small wall after fixing angle beads,the assesser then checked it with a level had a look around it then i had a one to one with him where he would throw a load of questions about plastering aspects and get me to measure of plans etc,nothing to complicated, he was a pleasent guy and all went well and i passsed.

Guest MrsKatie

Thanks for the quick reply Bosco, hes a bit worried bout reading drawings cos he dont really do that in his job.

Jamies booking confirmation says its 8am - 6pm. Was yours all day too?

yes was same time, but to tell truth all he asked on plans was if i could work out how many m2 around a building and there was guys at the course with me who had not got a clue but told me after that the guy kinda helped them, dont worry to much about he time frame as it gives you loads of time to do whatever task you may be asked which if similar to plastering task he will do it with his eyes closed. The whole thing is nothing to worry about if you a trained tradesman.You get points on all the questions he asks and need only so many to pass not all. The questions where things about how to prepare a wall for plastering, how to fix cornicing, how to erect scaffold all simple and nothing to worry about.

HI I did this test last year its fairly straight forward.

1. Build a brick corner approx 10 course high with a raking cut.

2. build a chimney stack with corbled out on 2 course at the top.

3. then answer questions on various brickie questions such as types of arch i.e introdos extrodos.

types of ties used, concrete heads which are made insitui over in ozz best just to search web for ozz building techniques.

Hope this helps all the best.

• 3 months later...
Guest Laura+brad+2

Hi, my OH has his this saturday, his rather nervous, could you possible give him any advise in what he may expect on the day?

Thanks

Laura

Guest bosco

hi laura when i went to dublin for mine i got lost and was about 1hour late and i still got practical bit done in about 1 hour then got the interview which was really straight forward questions about plastering, nothing was awkward or hard id say same as getting your skilled card in uk which we do to get on site. the guy was really helpful and it did not seem like a test but just a casual talk.