Skills assessment - how much!!!

Guest Cornish Pasties

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi,

Just picking myself off the floor as OH phoned to let me know that skills assessment only was going to cost us $3500! Obviously I knew the cost of the 176 Visa was approx $6000 but thought the skills assessment would just be a few hundred(lol)....but can't find cost of skills assessments anywhere on any websites.....can anyone point me in the right direction???

Now I've picked myself off the floor.....will be ringing Mother for a little loan methinks..hope she's in a good mood:shocked:

Guest guest7008

hi, what occupation is it, as ours is around £180 to get the skills assesed and a result back. It shuld not be anywhere near that sum unless you have a skill that is not recognised and you have to sit a test here to get the skills assesed, thats in the region of £1500 hope that helps, its expensive enough without that stress as well, good luck

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi Both,

He's an aircraft Engineer(Helicopters)..obviously they are very difficult to assess! Doesn't surprise me as I haven't got a clue what he does half the time....

cheers for your replies

Guest BigSmiles

OH is a mechanical engineer, I'm presuming a bit different to a helicopter engineer (sounds way more glamorous than air conditioning!) and we have just paid $270 to get them assessed through Engineers Australia. If the qualifications are not accredited from a specified university it costs about $550 as there is way more work involved. Do these fees come from your agent...if so I would seriously think about doing it yourself! :S

Guest Mazovia

Hi Everyone! How interesting that you mentioned the fees today (as I spent quite a few hours searching for this info myself) and ... how lovely that you got such a positive encouragement from the online community to do the visa app yourself (something I'm considering just now).

Could you guys point me in the right direction on the web where to find info / whom to contact re skills assessment for educational manager?

Thank you in advance!

Guest snowy10
Hi Both,

He's an aircraft Engineer(Helicopters)..obviously they are very difficult to assess! Doesn't surprise me as I haven't got a clue what he does half the time....

cheers for your replies

I'm an aircraft technician mechanical with 20 years experience on helicopters. I had my skills assessed by the TRA and from memory it cost no more that £200 so I've no idea how you've come to the figure you have got. Take a look at these links the FAQ link says the price is currently $300 = @ £187.

Skilled Worker Program Overview

Skilled Worker - FAQs

Skilled Worker - FAQs

He's an aircraft Engineer(Helicopters)..obviously they are very difficult to assess!

I'm not sure why this should be any more difficult to assess than any other occupation - they're not going to turn up with a box of bits and ask him to build one ...

I think you need to check the figures with a second source - it's very unlikely that what you've been told is correct (the same goes for the visa application amount).

Good luck, Jim

Guest Cornish Pasties

Cheers to all for replies & help. Obviously we will check & double-check before we hand any money over and will update the thread with the outcome......

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi Folks,

Well took a while to find it but apparently $3500 is correct for charge for Aircraft Engineer - see below but also note the charges for below trades if anyone at similar stage as us:

Back in December, Victoria University was approved by the Australian Government to conduct skills assessments for General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas on behalf of TRA. The chosen occupations mirror those currently assessed by Vetassess – offering clients with a choice of who to be assessed by (with exceptions – see below).

As of January, Victoria University is now accepting applications for the following trades:

Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic 342111

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) 323111

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) 323112

Bricklayer 331111

Carpenter 331211

Carpenter and Joiner 331211

Electronic Equipment Trades Worker 342313

Electrician (General) 341111

Electrician (Special Class) 341112

Joiner 331213

Metal Fabricator 322311

Motor Mechanic (General) 321211

Plumber (General) 334111

Sheetmetal Trades Worker 322211

Vehicle Painter 324311

Welder (First Class) 322313

Regarding the above occupations, VETASSESS and Victoria University are both authorised to assess the listed occupations and clients can choose who they wish to be assessed by, but only Victoria University can assess the occupations of Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics), Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical), and Electrician (Special Class).

This means that UK and Irish applicants can choose which of the two providers they wish to use in order to assess their applications, the only exception being the occupations of Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics), Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical), and Electrician (Special Class) – all three of which MUST be assessed by Victoria University.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE ABILITY

If you wish to be assessed by Victoria University, you need a minimum IELTS exam score of six in order to apply.

FEES

Aircraft mechanics/engineers (must be assessed by Victoria Uni): $3500

Licensed trades (electricians, plumbers etc): $2400

All other trades: $2200

Guest snowy10
Hi Folks,

Well took a while to find it but apparently $3500 is correct for charge for Aircraft Engineer - see below but also note the charges for below trades if anyone at similar stage as us:

Back in December, Victoria University was approved by the Australian Government to conduct skills assessments for General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas on behalf of TRA. The chosen occupations mirror those currently assessed by Vetassess – offering clients with a choice of who to be assessed by (with exceptions – see below).

As of January, Victoria University is now accepting applications for the following trades:

Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic 342111

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) 323111

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) 323112

Bricklayer 331111

Carpenter 331211

Carpenter and Joiner 331211

Electronic Equipment Trades Worker 342313

Electrician (General) 341111

Electrician (Special Class) 341112

Joiner 331213

Metal Fabricator 322311

Motor Mechanic (General) 321211

Plumber (General) 334111

Sheetmetal Trades Worker 322211

Vehicle Painter 324311

Welder (First Class) 322313

Regarding the above occupations, VETASSESS and Victoria University are both authorised to assess the listed occupations and clients can choose who they wish to be assessed by, but only Victoria University can assess the occupations of Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics), Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical), and Electrician (Special Class).

This means that UK and Irish applicants can choose which of the two providers they wish to use in order to assess their applications, the only exception being the occupations of Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics), Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical), and Electrician (Special Class) – all three of which MUST be assessed by Victoria University.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE ABILITY

If you wish to be assessed by Victoria University, you need a minimum IELTS exam score of six in order to apply.

FEES

Aircraft mechanics/engineers (must be assessed by Victoria Uni): $3500

Licensed trades (electricians, plumbers etc): $2400

All other trades: $2200

I don't know where you have got your information from or if things have changed since my TRA assessment was done in Apr 10.

Sounds very fishy to me especially so when the links I put in my previous thread are still in operation. If you go here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf it states that for aircraft technician mechanical/avionics are assessed by TRA so why are you quoting as VETASSES to assess?

If you follow the links in my previous post it takes you through exactly what you have to do.

Guest Cornish Pasties
I don't know where you have got your information from or if things have changed since my TRA assessment was done in Apr 10.

Sounds very fishy to me especially so when the links I put in my previous thread are still in operation. If you go here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf it states that for aircraft technician mechanical/avionics are assessed by TRA so why are you quoting as VETASSES to assess?

If you follow the links in my previous post it takes you through exactly what you have to do.

Hi,

Unfortunately I think it is correct as got the information from two sources - one was immigration update website & the other was in the Australia & New Zealand magazine. It has only been implemented recently - December 5th 2010. It's a bummer but think there's not a awful lot we can do about it :sad:

Cheers anyway

My OH is a bricklayer and has paid $600 for the paper skills bit and now had to pay $1500 for the skills test. Seems everybody is different. Very annoying as hes been in the trade for 30 years and just paid over £1000 for an NVQ in bricklaying yet they wont accept it.

Good luck everybody!

• 1 month later...
Guest dazla80

Hi the two main assessment places are Trades Recognition Australia - Home

and VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services both web sites will give all the info you need and point you in the right direction of which one to use to use. TRA are cheaper, but it depends on what visa you will go on and what it allows you to do. we are going through vetassess.