WHV and 176

Guest lky5

Can anyone help with a query relating to applying for both WHV and 176 please. A friend is applying for SMP and then the 176. She wants to travel to Oz on a WHV while waiting for the 176 to be granted and then return to the UK to prepare.

I know it is possible to apply for the 176 and then go to Oz on a WHV while you wait for this to be processed. My question is: does it matter in which order you apply for these? Her plan is to apply for the WHV when she has her plans firmed up re timing etc and then just before she goes apply for the 176. As the processing time for the 176 is approx 1 year, she wants to be able to stay in Oz on the WHV as long as possible and not have to go offshore when the 176 is granted.

Does anyone know of any problems/drawbcks in applying for the WHV first and then the 176? Thanks

Can anyone help with a query relating to applying for both WHV and 176 please. A friend is applying for SMP and then the 176. She wants to travel to Oz on a WHV while waiting for the 176 to be granted and then return to the UK to prepare.

I know it is possible to apply for the 176 and then go to Oz on a WHV while you wait for this to be processed. My question is: does it matter in which order you apply for these? Her plan is to apply for the WHV when she has her plans firmed up re timing etc and then just before she goes apply for the 176. As the processing time for the 176 is approx 1 year, she wants to be able to stay in Oz on the WHV as long as possible and not have to go offshore when the 176 is granted.

Does anyone know of any problems/drawbcks in applying for the WHV first and then the 176? Thanks

Well first of all it's possible. But she should submit her 176 application from the UK and then apply for the WHV. Then she will need to inform DIAC of her plans to travel to oz on a WHV. They will then in turn let her know when her 176 is about to be granted so she can leave oz for it to be granted, and then she can re-enter on the 176.

Obviously as it will be an offshore application, she has to be offshore when the visa is granted.

Guest tinkham_lee

I would say, come to oz on a WHV then apply for the 176 once here, you will be issued a bridging visa allowing you to work and stay in oz until the 176 visa is granted. doing it this way also means you wont have to leave oz when the 176 is granted.

This is how I have applied for my spouse visa.

I would say, come to oz on a WHV then apply for the 176 once here, you will be issued a bridging visa allowing you to work and stay in oz until the 176 visa is granted. doing it this way also means you wont have to leave oz when the 176 is granted.

This is how I have applied for my spouse visa.

Skilled visas are different from spouse/partner visas. You cannot apply for a 176 visa onshore, as it is an offshore visa, meaning you need to be offshore for application and grant of the visa.

My fiancee will be doing similar to you when we apply for her defacto visa, as I am on a 176, she will come out on a WHV, then apply for a defacto visa, and be given a bridging visa.

But this cannot be done for a Skilled Sponsored 176 unfortunately. Get the 176 application in, and then arrange for the WHV but make sure she tells DIAC of her plans. A long weekend trip to New Zealand is a popular way to go offshore for visa grant.