Extending visa expiry date .....

Guest maybeoz

Guest maybeoz

Does anyone know if its possible to extend the expiry date of a visa?

Ours run out in January 2013 and due to the education stage of my two eldest - Uni degree course ending and GCSEs finishing January is 5 months too early for us :(

Anyone in a similar position to this with kids education?

K x

Guest m.jephcott

We were able to extend an expired visa, it expired Sept 2009 and we had our new resident return visas granted march 2010. We had to apply before we had been out of Australia for 5 years in our case that would have been july 2010. We also had to have an offer of employment and reasons for leaving and our length of abscence. This was very costly around £3000 and a bit hit and miss, we were lucky. If you call a migration agent (we used Ian Harrop) they maybe able to help, but I don't think you will be able to extend at this point.

Guest maybeoz
We were able to extend an expired visa, it expired Sept 2009 and we had our new resident return visas granted march 2010. We had to apply before we had been out of Australia for 5 years in our case that would have been july 2010. We also had to have an offer of employment and reasons for leaving and our length of abscence. This was very costly around £3000 and a bit hit and miss, we were lucky. If you call a migration agent (we used Ian Harrop) they maybe able to help, but I don't think you will be able to extend at this point.

Hmm sadly I'm sure we wont be eligible for the RRV as we have actually only spent 3 weeks on a reccie trip in Aus since the visa was grant in January 2008 :nah:

K

A question, as I am not sure how it works, but are all the visas dependant on ALL your family members being in Oz before they run out, or just the adults need to be the ones to be there to ensure they remain valid. If the adults are there already, is it possible to then have your children come out later and do anything visa wise then?

If so is there any way your kids could remain in the UK for those last few months, stay with family or some such? I know one or two people with older children who have done this in the past to finish up their last school year and then came on out to Oz a few months later. But their visas were not due to expire before they arrived.

Or consider to move sooner so your youngest can finish his education in Oz? And let your oldest come to Oz later on if visa can be arranged (surely this sort of thing can be done after the event if all his immediate family are already living there).

Sorry I can't offer anything else, but perhaps one of the above could be considered as an option. If you all really want to move, you may need to be prepared to make a few sacrifices to get you all there.

Guest maybeoz
A question, as I am not sure how it works, but are all the visas dependant on ALL your family members being in Oz before they run out, or just the adults need to be the ones to be there to ensure they remain valid. If the adults are there already, is it possible to then have your children come out later and do anything visa wise then?

If so is there any way your kids could remain in the UK for those last few months, stay with family or some such? I know one or two people with older children who have done this in the past to finish up their last school year and then came on out to Oz a few months later. But their visas were not due to expire before they arrived.

Or consider to move sooner so your youngest can finish his education in Oz? And let your oldest come to Oz later on if visa can be arranged (surely this sort of thing can be done after the event if all his immediate family are already living there).

Sorry I can't offer anything else, but perhaps one of the above could be considered as an option. If you all really want to move, you may need to be prepared to make a few sacrifices to get you all there.

Hi Snifter,

Thanks for comments.

Unfortunately all the visas run out at the same time.

Therefore if we leave the two kids here to finish education then they will need to reapply for a visa - I think they would be eligible for balance of family consideration but it obviously would have costs - both emotional ones having to leave them here for a while and financial ones!

Obviously moving over sooner rather than later is the best option but I guess I'm just concerned that should Aus not be for us and we returned what recognised qualifications would my middle son have to enable him to be eligible for further education here?

Its all sooooooo confusing knowing what is the right thing to do :nah:

K

Guest kangomik

Snifter, again i am led to believe, and people with more knowledge than me may post, but all visa apliccants have to be here in Aus on time to validate, and on time to activate the visa.

If so many people apply, and so many excuses are heard then were would you draw the line, this line would be a date line. The country has a huge pool of people to choose from, and they have already had the money off you. How many people would apply at 45 wait 5 years then ask for an extension if it was easy, what good is Australia getting out of the migrants? Sorry to be so blunt, but it's a business at the end of the day.

As posted by M. Jepchott, this small alteration cost money, and they had to have employment guaranteed.

Frankly there are not many people who can guarantee employment unless on work sponsored visa or comming on a nursing visa.

I do agree with snifter that plans may need changing. for example, what is that UK qual worth over here, is it recognised?

If not

Then if you came earlier what Aussie quals would be gained (taking the school calendar into account) and possibly an easier ride for being new to the system!!!!!!!!!

There's loads of ways to peel a peanut.

Ah, thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

kangomik, all fair points and I quite understand why they want you to activate all the visas before they expire and all that.

5 years should be plenty of time for people to make the move if they are going to.

maybeoz - I'd not fret overly about the Aussie schooling not being up to par over here. Most countries now recognise other high school/education certificates. I think you could do your research and contact the organisations in the UK that can tell you more about all this and how you would go about getting your son into further education in the UK should you return. They are far better placed to inform you correctly than any of us. Get the facts from the educational bodies and make an informed decision based on them. I am sure your son will be fine. The world is a much smaller place these days thanks to technology and education is moving with the times also.

Personally, if you are going to make the move, I'd say do it sooner, give yourself a 2-4 year window and if it doesn't work out, you can return. I think otherwise you'll be stuck in no mans land and what ifs and the visas will expire and your dream may be over.

Obviously moving over sooner rather than later is the best option but I guess I'm just concerned that should Aus not be for us and we returned what recognised qualifications would my middle son have to enable him to be eligible for further education here?

Why not get on the phone to a few unis etc in the UK and ask them if they recognise Australian qualifications for admission purposes? At least then you'd set your mind at rest. Lots of schools here now also do the International Baccalaureate, so you could ask about recognition of that too. I'm pretty sure it's internationally recognised - hence its name! ;)

Hi,

We deliberately chose a school here in Oz which teaches the International Baccalaureate qualification as well as main stream education. This way our daughters education will be recognised more internationally if she was to choose to travel.

It could be a good option for you?

Good Luck

Kim

Hope this helps

Kim

Guest maybeoz
Hi,

We deliberately chose a school here in Oz which teaches the International Baccalaureate qualification as well as main stream education. This way our daughters education will be recognised more internationally if she was to choose to travel.

It could be a good option for you?

Good Luck

Kim

Hope this helps

Kim

Hi Kim

We are at the GCSE choosing stage; we have to complete the option form for his school (UK) tonight actually. The Baccalaureate really didn't appeal to him, he's going to do the core subjects plus ICT, Art and Sport - ultimately he wants to be a graphic artist.

Hope all goes well for your choices.

K