Skills assessment, confused big time

Guest fishes20

Guest fishes20

Hi All

I cannot find my trade on the TRA website and when I emailed them they refered me back to the DIAC ( who I am waiting to hear from, 3 days and counting) does absolutely everyone need a skills assessment to progress or with me not being able to find anything on the DIAC website or the TRA which it states deals with this trade, do I simply not require one. As the title suggests I am confused.

I am a Print Machinist, which is on the SSML but I cant get any further, hope this makes sense.

Jase and vicky

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also a printer and yes, I had to do a skills assessment last year. If you have no official printing qualifications, you will need to be assessed. I have been offered a job and are lucky enough to be getting in on an employer sponser. I now have the equivilent to an Australian print qualification, but you can only get this if you are assessed by an Australian Print College. You wont get in without it, job or no job.

Want type of printing do you do and on want kit.

Guest fishes20

Hi Tizzer

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am a Lithographic Printer, I have always worked in Carton printing and have spent the last 8 years as a number one on Komori's, 40 inch 6 colour and coater.

Who did your assessment and at what cost, if you dont mind me asking

thanks Jase

Hi Jase,

I work on a 12 colour Heidelberg perfecter and have been printing for 15 years.

Had to do the assessment with Print Training Australia. It was all arranged by a company in Harpenden, Hertfordshire. They are called Australian Skills Assessment and the number is 0800 881 8457. Ask to speak to Allan.

You have to do a boat load of paperwork....all standard stuff and then if you pass the written stage, you have to do an on line interview with print training Australia.

Have you spoken to a Visa agent yet.

Guest fishes20

Hi Tizzer

Do you know roughly a cost and how long it takes, we have not appointed a visa agent yet, as we are trying to keep costs down at the mo.

I have applied for state sponsorship at the mo going for a 176 visa ultimately

Jase

Ah yes, the life on a shift printer....up at 4.30 am. If off shift at present so I'm replying to you, Jase.

Right have been over all of my records.

The total cost of my Assessment was $2995.00 ( Approx...£1872.00 )

Payable in two stages:

Stage one: Paperwork stage $495.00

Stage two: Technical Interview $2500.00

This is a bit more than I remembered. Its amazing how one thousand seems to just merge into another thousand, when you are trying to relocate.

If you need anything more, just reply.

TIZZER.

Guest fishes20

Hi Tizzer

Thanks for the update.

What are the conditions like down under, in print?

I am at a place where its 100% U.V so with the lamps and hot air its nearly always boiling hot. Is everywhere air conditioned.

Does there seem much call for carton printers, I have printed lots of work for Food, Beverage and

Pharmaceutical, and never done commercial work.

Jase

Hi Tizzer

Thanks for the update.

What are the conditions like down under, in print?

I am at a place where its 100% U.V so with the lamps and hot air its nearly always boiling hot. Is everywhere air conditioned.

Does there seem much call for carton printers, I have printed lots of work for Food, Beverage and

Pharmaceutical, and never done commercial work.

Jase

Hi Mate,

I dont know what conditions are like as I am not there yet. I should be out in the summer if the Diac pull their finger out. As I said, I am going on a employer sponser and not a state sponser. I am classed as a cat 1, so I am top priority or so they say. I was offered a job last September having sent out details to about ten printing firms in Adelaide. Only one replied and after three weeks we had met in Germany and been offered a position. The cap it all off, the firm have paid for the sponsorship as well.

I used to print with U.V. on a Roland 700 so I know how hot it can get. I now print with conv and is all commercial stuff. All the printers I sent details to were commercial. I think most of the Carton printers are in Sydney or Melbourne.

Guest fishes20

Hi again

I have come across 3 or 4 carton printers in adelaide area so fingers crossed, I know melbourne is a hot bed for cartons, but cant go there yet lol.

Jase

:dull: If you require any more info, get in touch.

Give the visa bureau a ring in London, just to confirm all I have said. You are not comitted to anything, just give them a ring and have a chat.

Number is 08707447340 and ask to speak to Lucas Eyers. He is a Migration Consultant.

Three 12 hour shift..............guess you are on continentals, just like me.

Interview was fine. Ask you lots of things you should know as a printer. Think he asked me what I would I do if I wanted to make image print shorter....and things of that sort.

All easy stuff.

Guy who interviewed me was called Andrew Reynolds, the only downside was it was 11.30 at night (8.30am adelaide time ).

Im off out now, will speak more in the morning.

TIZZER.

Guest fishes20

OH no, not done stuff like that since i served my time, if somethings wrong i send it back to pre press lol, mmmm make image shorter is that put another packing under the blanket.

never ever had trouble like that anyway. Carton printings about getting work on the floor lol

As I said, easy stuff.

If you need to do an assessment, best sort it out as soon as poss. Takes a while to get all the paperwork, do all the paperwork and process. I think it took me about 3 months from start to finish. Then when you pass your assessment your skill has to go to the TRA and that takes about six weeks and dont get me only the visa application.........takes a lifetime. Hope I have not put you off!!!

Anyway anything more you require, give me a shout. Sorry I do not know any carton printers in Adelaide, only commercial ones.

Guest fishes20

Hi Tizzer

Spoke to Allan at Australian skills assessment and then he put me on to an Aussie guy, whos name fails me at the mo, however they pretty much confirmed what youve told me. So I am just filling in the preliminary forms now. Time to depart with some of my hard earned.

By the way whats your name and where you from? calling you Tizzer seems a bit wrong lol

Jase

Hi jase,

Glad you got in touch with allan ang you have started the big red ball rolling. When it comes to the interview, you will have to get a webcam, if you have not got one. Asa set up your computer from there end and do a trial first. All clever stuff.

Tizzer.....Dave ....From Durham.

Guest fishes20

Hello Dave (thats better)

Just sent of initial application so we will see how it goes. Bit of race though now, because no one sure of when new rules will kick in, or how it will affect people, i know with the new system i wont get in, but the new system has not been approved or been through parliament etc, just got everyone panicking

jase

Hi Jase

Thats what you have to do mate, keep one step ahead of the game. Had to change tak at least three times last year when new rules came in and then again and again. Its a long haul, but you do get there in the end.

I have found that the quickest way and safest way is a job offer, but its still taking far to long. Ens visa went in, in Nov and still no case officer...:arghh:.....not much of my fingers left.

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

Just had initial application approved, so its on to all the written paper stuff, only took 24hrs to approve initial application, thought i would be waiting at least a week.

Did you just answer the questions about litho printing, i dont know much about flexo, letterpress

etc.

jase

Hi Dave

Just had initial application approved, so its on to all the written paper stuff, only took 24hrs to approve initial application, thought i would be waiting at least a week.

Did you just answer the questions about litho printing, i dont know much about flexo, letterpress

etc.

jase

Sorry mate,

Back on shift.....willreply this evening.

Hi Jase,

Yes you just fill in all the questions on the sections marked Litho Printing. The Flexo and letterpress are for those other process printers.

There should also be a few pages at the back of the application. These pages will have various questions about the printing process i.e. Trapping, Register, process colours ect. You have to fill in all of those. ( If you get stuck on these, just shout )

When I did mine I had to answer questions 18-65 as well. All I was told to do was write next to the sections concerning Litho printing, "See job reference ". You will have to do a reference for the positions you have had in the past.

Dave.

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

Just struggling on a couple of questions, as i have never done any print finishing

what is a 3 knife trimmer?

And on the questions regarding printing terms what is blinders creep? and on my sheet it says dot GRAIN do they mean dot GAIN as i know what this is.

hope this makes sense

cheers

jase