medicals

Guest liquorice

Guest liquorice

Just reading on from calls thread on schools for special needs children. My OH has a daughter from a previous relationship.she has retts syndrome,disabled with many health issues.she won't be coming with us as she lives with her mum full time.due to her disabilities she won't even be visiting us,she couldn't even manage the flight.I've been told she will need a medical,is this right?

Guest liquorice

I have just found on the ASA group website that all your dependants including those not on your application need to take a medical and all need to pass. If that is the case we wont pass :(

heads all over the place now as the medicals are right at the end and dont want to waste all that money and time along with all the stress of it.

I'm going to look into it, to see if theres a way around it as she definitely wont ever be joining us etc?!:sad:

Guest The Dimmocks
I have just found on the ASA group website that all your dependants including those not on your application need to take a medical and all need to pass. If that is the case we wont pass :(

heads all over the place now as the medicals are right at the end and dont want to waste all that money and time along with all the stress of it.

I'm going to look into it, to see if theres a way around it as she definitely wont ever be joining us etc?!:sad:

Are you using an agent, may be worth getting in touch with one and see what they suggest. Good luck and hope it comes right for you.

No I'm sorry to say I don't think you will.

The worry is that even though your daughter isn't coming with you..as a dependent of you in the future she would be legally entitled to.

Worse case scenario....her mum dies and you are the surviving parent. You would have legal custody of her.

Sorry hun x

Guest liquorice

Thanks for that,

We had a meeting regarding her long term care plans and we were asked by her social worker if we could have full custody as her mum cant manage anymore, this isnt an option for myself and husband. It looks like she will be going into foster care mon-fri and with her mother at weekends. In th elong term she will be going into residential school where she will school and live so even if her mother dies she wont come and live with us

I'm not sure if DIAC will accept that.

TBH you could change your mind in the future and decide you do want her.

My advice would be to find yourself a very good immigration agent who deals in this. Go to britishexpats.com and they will deffo be able to help you. Be prepared though for some not nice replies...some can be very judgemental if you know what I mean.

Guest titanboy

Am sympathising with you, we were in a similar position last year. My OH also has a non-migrating daughter from his previous marriage who required a medical. She has a minor learning difficulty called dyspraxia and at the beginnng of our visa journey we were advised by our agent that it wouldn't cause a problem. How wrong that turned out to be! After spending a lot of money having extra assessments done by neurologists, educational physcologists etc the MOC decided that she did not meet the health requirements and we fell foul of the "one fails, you alll fail" rule.

We posted on the poms in oz forum and a very helpful lady, "gollywobbler", managed to look at our case and got as far as getting the chief medical officer to get involved. Alas, they stood by their initial ruling and declined our visa.

We have now changed agent and applied again, as OH's daughter has now turned 18 and is no longer dependant on him for financial support.

You didn't mention how old your OH's daughter is, would this be an option for you?

Kind regards

Janice