shopping list

trevorpayne

Guest Aussie pat

Both Coles and Woolworths have home delivery via the web. You could have a look at their websites for prices which are meant to be the same as in the stores except you can't always get all of the specials. I have used the Coles service in the past and felt the prices were similar to in the shops.

Just bear in mind you can also find cheaper deals in some of the discount stores to bring the prices down further but for the purpose of this exercise they don't have on line shopping usually. The 2 I've mentioned above are similar to Sainsburys and Tescos.

Hope this helps.

It really depends what you buy and where you shop. If I bought the same stuff I used to buy at Tescos when I do my weekly Coles shop here, it probably would be more expensive, but I've got used to

(a) buying stuff in season (and avoiding things whose prices are inflated due to weather conditions - e.g. bananas probably going to get expensive after the Queensland Cyclone, so buy locally grown peaches or nectarines instead for a while)

(b) not buying ready made stuff but making things from scratch (ready made stuff here is pretty horrid anyway)

© shopping around - often greengrocers are cheaper than the supermarkets for fruit and veg

(d) getting certain stuff at the Central Market instead of supermarkets (e.g. a whole camembert or brie in the supermarket is around $8, in the market $3; mushrooms in the supermarket this week $12.99/kg, in the market $7.99/kg, apples this week in the supermarket around $8/kg, in the market $3.50 and so on....)

(e) taking advantage of petrol station vouchers - shop at Coles and spend over $30, you get 5c off per litre at Coles Exress petrol stations, while you're getting petrol get your milk/sliced bread from petrol station for another 2c per litre off, keep your petrol receipt and get the equivalent of another 5c/litre off your next weekly shop at Foodland!

(f) read through the junk mail and take advantage of various weekly special offers

(g) always shop with a list, and never when hungry!

Guest kangomik

Trevor your joking aren't you?

Everyone's different, some shop around, some buy pom food (expensive)

Did the programs mention the houses cost twice as much and that you get paid more in dollars than pounds (well most do)

I reckon most people here eat more meat than they would in the UK, so they aren't doing to bad.

No not joking and I do realise Ted, that everyone shop will be slightly different.

Although I would imagine Ted that we all eat bread,milk,cereals,chicken, pork, vegetables,beans etc.

And the programs did mention the house prices Ted and yes they have gone up in price which we can see and can plan and adjust to what we can afford.

But it came as a great surprise to hear Ted that you get paid in $dollars over there,there was me thinking I would still get paid in pounds.