Police Training help

Guest Elliot-Ross

Guest Elliot-Ross

Hi, I am a 17 year old who currently lives in Britain, I am currently studying at school but when I leave I aim to move to Australia.

I would love to join the police force but don't know how...

Do the police force in Australia sponsor people to train to be an officer? And if they do, do you get paid for this or can you get a job?

How often do the academy take on people

If they do sponsor how do you get in contact with them as I cannot tell by looking on the websites?

Also Is it true if you get sponsored you can get a visa more easily? And what sort of visa would I need

Thanks

Elliot

Guest Elliot-Ross

Hi thanks for the link, the problem is it dosent say anything about visas, or anything for People abroad. Thanks for it anyway but any information from people who have done this or people in the force would be fantastic!

Hi, we were out in Adelaide Sept 2010 and went to one of the recruitment seminars at the academy. From what they were saying the last recruitment drive from the UK was 2008/2009 and they weren't planning any in the near future, but if they did they are after fully qualified Police officers anyway(i might be wrong there). You need to have a permanent residents visa to apply once you are in Adelaide to join their force.

Andrew.

Guest mark&rachel

To be a SAPOL copper you either need to be sponsered on the migration recruitment campaign that went on for 5 years or so but that was only serving coppers with 4 years or more experience.

They dont take you otherwise unless you are a citizen or permanent resident here.

They dont sponser you to train or anything like that. Sorry mate but maybe try get into country another way and then join up.

Hi Elliot,

the last recruitment from the uk was indeed 2008/09 and officer had to have at least 5 years in ( after their probation). This was the last batch of officers from a 5 year process.

Maybe you could join the force in the uk ( you have to be 18.5) as you never know where may recruit again. At least you will be on your way to having some years under your belt.

where in the uk are you based?

Good luck

Rach

Guest Elliot-Ross

Im in Norfolk

So if I went and did a certain skill which they wanted (im v.good at ICT) I could then emigrate possibly and then join up, if I get a visa for working?

Can't believe this is so hard! So let me get this right, if i can get a permanent residency, I can then join up correct?

I'm pretty sure if you get a PR visa that you could join up. So your problem now becomes getting hold of a PR visa. For you to train in a skill (ICT would be fine as it is on the lists of skills wanted) and get the required experience etc is going to take a few years.

The only way I can think of for you to get out here in the next couple of years would be if your parents were wanting to come along, if one of them qualifies for a PR visa, you would be classed as a dependent while you are still in full time education, and hence get a PR visa too. (once you've got the PR visa and moved out here, you wouldn't need to stay with your parents though, just until the visa is granted)

Guest Elliot-Ross

Hmm well that ins't going to happen, they certainly wont come over to Australia! How much experience is actually needed? And i suppose doing something with ICT will actually help in the police force i suppose?

Cant I get a visa saying that im going to be training as a police officer? After all by joining the police I would be helping the country in a way!

Have you considered getting a Working Holiday Visa and coming out here, doing something like maybe working in a hotel/bar, and going to have a chat with the SAPOL people while you're here? It's always better to meet someone face-to-face, and they'll be able to tell you the best route to take for future career prospects. There is also a SA Police forum if you haven't found it already: Police Forum • View forum - News (Sorry - it's not just SA - but for policemen wanting to emigrate all over)

Good luck

Diane

Sadly Sapol will only sponser you if you are already a cop in the UK they just had a batch of 98 uk cops come over April 2010 but they are not recruiting from the UK at the moment. You will need to be on a PR visa and living here. there are lots of exams and test so do before you get in then its 9 months training then 15 months as a proby.:policeman:

Guest Elliot-Ross

Yeh it's just getting the PR visa, I would have thought that if your going to train for something then they will give it to you? Is this the case? And i dont mind doing exams or being a proby, all part of the training.

Yeh it's just getting the PR visa, I would have thought that if your going to train for something then they will give it to you? Is this the case? And i dont mind doing exams or being a proby, all part of the training.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Why bother giving a visa to someone and paying for the training, when there are so many already qualified people out there...

Guest Elliot-Ross

Going to speak to my career person at school and see what he says! Looks like I will have to try and get a PR visa. Now... to get one of these do you have to have a certain skill? Or do they take into account your education grades etc. And how is it marked? Do you have to get a certain amount of points?

If I were you I would go and have a look at the www.immi.gov.au website, and read up on the various skilled migrant visas. If you have trouble understanding any of the info, just ask on here or on pomsinoz.

There is a points system in place, which will be changing in July. For info on the new system, go to pomsinoz, there is a sticky thread in the migration system.

There are basically three routes for skilled PR. Independent, State Sponsored, and Employer sponsored. Each have different lists of skills wanted, you should find details on the immi website. For state sponsorship, each state has it's own state migration plan (SMP) with different lists, so you need to check those out too.

I would recommend posting a thread in the pomsinoz migration section, far more people post there, and would be able to give you more information on PR visas.

Do be aware though that the lists can change (and probably will change at least slightly by the time you've trained).

The first step of a skilled visa application is usually to get a skills assessment done. Somewhere on the immi website is a list of which organisations do the testing for each skill. Do check their requirements before launching into any type of training.

It might be worth doing a little of this research and taking it along to the careers person.

Lots to take in I know. Good luck, and if you have any more questions, ask away.

Sorry, but gaining PR can be a difficult journey (look at some of the timelines of members on here or other migrant discussion boards - often very experienced people with proven skills and for some the process can take years). Getting to a point simply to have your skills successfully assessed (whichever skill that might be) is likely to take recognised qualifications and/or time served experience - in short, it's not going to happen quickly!

Australia is a place much sought after by would-be migrants, so a willingness to train (positive though that is) doesn't count for much in the visa stakes unfortunately - there are far more people wanting to come here than places available, so they can afford to be picky.

Diane has already mentioned a working holiday visa, and that's certainly worth exploring.

Good luck

Jim

lots of people in Oz apply for the police force so the police wouldn't sponser a visa for someone to come and train. As Diane said try a working holiday visa get in to the country find somewhere else to work stay with them and see if thay could sponser you but you will have to stay with them for 2 years (I think). or there is a student visa but sure how that works but it wouldn't cover the police.

Guest Elliot-Ross

Ok thanks for the help, it seems i can get a PR by either by training in a skill on the list or marrying an aussie?

Now comes the big decision of what to do, do i train as a cop over here and hope they go on a recruitment drive, or do i train for something on the list which i will like and then apply to get a PR

Elliot

Hi Elliot

I reckon your first step is to have a trip over here, have a look around, see which state/city takes your fancy. Not sure from your previous posts if you've ever been to Australia, but obviously it's a huge country, with big contrasts in lifestyle, climate, costs etc. Have you considered taking a gap year before you start studying and backpacking around, perhaps with a mate? (Who knows, you may even meet that Aussie girl to marry while you're here!)

There is another thread on here about someone on a Working Holiday Visa looking for fruit picking work - http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/21925-fruit-picking-jobs-where-find-them.html - might be worth a read through for some ideas.

The routes to a Permanent Visa are many and varied, and can change from one week to the next it seems, and at your age, you have so many options. One of the things I've heard the police force like is to see evidence on someone's CV of contact with the public, so any sort of job you can do - part time, temporary, vacational - which involves that would be good: that even includes stuff like hotel and bar work, shop work etc, so spread your net wide, find something you enjoy doing, and keep your goals in sight.

Good luck

Diane

Guest Elliot-Ross

Yeh that sounds a good idea, I have been to Aus several times and really like it! And as you say i may meet a nice aussy girl! Sounds good to me lol

So a working visa for a holiday sounds good will have to have a look