Which IELTS?

Guest pixie7

Hi all,

Just wondered if any one knew which IELTS I would have to sit? I'm Primary School Teacher and coming on SS (hopefully!). It states 7.5 on IELTS on SS but not academic or general?

Thanks

Helen

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi all,

Just wondered if any one knew which IELTS I would have to sit? I'm Primary School Teacher and coming on SS (hopefully!). It states 7.5 on IELTS on SS but not academic or general?

Thanks

Helen

Hi again, I'm back on this thread, having said I don't know lol (am madly doing yet more reading and research on whether it is likely I will be allowed to apply or not)

I came across this on the teacher qualifications website (the AITSL, formerly Teaching Australia):

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/ta/webdav/site/tasite/shared/Skills%20Assessment/2010/AITSL%20Assessment_Application_Guide.pdf

That says it has to be the academic version for your skills assessment (bottom of page 2) HOWEVER that is an either/or of IELTs 7 OR you took your degree in english in england etc etc.

I have now managed to confuse myself - that is just for the teaching qualifications bit to say we are teachers, right? So SA want the IELTs IN ADDITION to the teaching qualification bit (even though you have to have IELTs at level 7 OR have an english speaking past for the teaching qualification bit). ie you have to prove yourself twice on the 'speaking english' front?

(Not that I'm saying I have a problem with this, it's their country, I'll jump through what ever hoops they say I have to with a smile on my face - I'm just confused lol - its the end of the half term and my brain is dribbling out of my ears!).

SO the question still stands I guess about SA IELTs proof, is it academic or general? (but my query can probably be easily answered by you Helen, and might help other baffeld souls :) )

Guest Jo&Phil

I know you need an academic IELTS if you want to study, but not sure if you're going to teach --- I appreciate that's not helpful! The immigration website says there are exemptions based on higher education study - do you have a bachelor or a masters? See Migration Regulations 1994 - Specification under paragraph 457.223(6)(a) and subclause 457.223(11) of Schedule 2 - Level of Salary and Exemptions to the English Language Requirement for Subclass 457 (Business (Long Stay)) Visas - February 2011 ... but it's confusing

Quickest answer might be to ring immigration here in Oz and see what they say

You can also practice the ILETS test ... it's not wildly difficult if you're working in education as you're used to the type and style of questions ....... if you're not in that field it's a bit strange as it's usually a long time since you've done anything like a 'test'!

There was a feature here on the TV where they had Australians taking the test - from all walks of life and ages - and they generally all got 7 ....... I'm sure you'll be fine .... whatever the result you need.