Dogs, quarantine, where?? Help!

Guest VickiM

Hi Poms,

We (me, husband, 2 kids & dog) are applying for a state-sponsored visa to South Australia & have been allocated a case officer, yippee. However, I gave myself a nasty shock last night when I Googled "importing pets to Australia," to find that we will have to quarantine our much-loved labrador in either Perth, Sydney or Melbourne, even though we will be relocating to South Australia ...

So I'd like to ask if anyone else has done this? Is there really nowhere to quarantine your dog in SA? Did you then have to fly your pet into SA 30 days after you arrived, and did you have to go & collect them in person (I'm thinking about the cost of more flights here!) or are there services that will collect the dog from quarantine and arrange for it to be transported to you? (doesn't sound much fun for the dog).

I suppose we could go and have a month's holiday in NSW when we first arrive, and then take the dog on to SA with us after the first 30 days, but it sounds like a VERY expensive option...

All experience and advice gratefully received, thank you :notworthy:

Vicki.

Guest Nicky&Andy

our dog flew from uk to sydney, 28days in quarenteen, then sydney to adelaide

we had to sort out flight to adelaide week before he was released, (long story but left everything to the last minute,)

he did cost alot to bring over , was he worth it ??????!!!!!!!!!!!

of course, he's one of us. if you need more info i will look up all the details

reason we used sydney instead of melbourne was sydney is easier to get into with short notice

Thank you very much guys. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that I will not see my beloved dog for a whole month - I absolutely adore her and there is no question of us emigrating without her! My heart sinks when I think about her in quarantine but it is only a month and I know she will survive it and then we'll have a lovely life in SA ... as long as she doesn't get taken by a shark when swimming (I shouldn't have read those other posts about swimming in the sea :nah:)

The thread you linked to was very helpful, and I have been phoning around pet transport companies today - will probably cost around £2k (sterling) to get her out to Oz, plus the quarantine costs (she already has a passport). She is worth it!!

Thanks again, this is a great website!

Vicki

Hi Vicki,good luck with everything,will be very interested on who you use and how you get on as we will be bringing our BIG soppy Rhodesian Ridgeback and Im soooo worried about him. How many weeks before do you have to book the kennels etc? Im sure we worry for nothing and all will be fine.

I can highly recommend JCS Livestock to export your four legged friend and then Dogtainers to transport into Adelaide. Trevor (he's the dog, not my husband!) did a month in quarantine in Sydney which he hated as much as we did but we found a company that will visit your dog in quarantine and spend time walking and playing with them. They will also take them dog treats and send you photos online. Their website is www.dogwalks.com.au

It costs about $275.00 or thereabouts I think, can't really remember, but having spent thousands on shipping them, paying for quarantine etc etc, it's not really much to pay on top. Good luck!

Hi Vicki,good luck with everything,will be very interested on who you use and how you get on as we will be bringing our BIG soppy Rhodesian Ridgeback and Im soooo worried about him. How many weeks before do you have to book the kennels etc? Im sure we worry for nothing and all will be fine.

I'd be booking quarantine at least 6 months in advance (is what I've been told as they get booked up with animals coming in from all over the place). Book early to avoid disappointment. Leaving it till 6 weeks before won't cut it and for your own peace of mind better to know its all in place than be panicking toward the end.

I'd be booking quarantine at least 6 months in advance (is what I've been told as they get booked up with animals coming in from all over the place). Book early to avoid disappointment. Leaving it till 6 weeks before won't cut it and for your own peace of mind better to know its all in place than be panicking toward the end.

Cripes, we must have dropped very lucky then. Trevor flew out on about two weeks notice!

Guest mimasawrus

Hi There

We came over to SA in October 2009 and we brought 3 dogs with us 1 Dachshund (a bit disabled due to back operation) 1 Jack Russell Terrier and an 11 year old greyhound, but we defo could not emigrate without them. It cost us a fair bit but we knew that before we started the process. We used Petair who were fantastic did all blood test at home etc. Our dogs stayed in quarantine in Melbourne for 30 days and I was an absolute state worrying about them especially my precious little dachshund, but they flew really well and their days in quarantine were fine. The staff at the quarantine centre were lovely and put up with me phoning everyday. They were all really well looked after and were no worse for it. We drove to the quarantine centre from SA. It took eight hours so we drove one day stayed over then drove back the next with all the dogs. It was great to see them and we now have a fantastic life with them Our Greyhound has since gone to the big kennel in the sky, but he spent just over a year with us in Australia, and we would not have changed that for the world. We started to arrange for our dogs top come at the end of July 09 and they easily got booked into quarantine from the 29th October 2009. OUr dogs flew 2 days before us. So when we got here we could sort out somewhere to live while they were in quarantine and get all the things we needed to do urgently. Hope this helps

Laura x