Those married to an Aussie - Spouse visas

snifter

Quick couple of Q's on this subject as the official blurb doesn't really give a good idea of timeframes or possible hiccups.

Those married to an Aussie (UK citizens) and who went over or are going over to Australia on a spousal visa... how long did it take for your applications to be processed and visa approved? And also did you have to provide much in the way of documentation as proof or were they happy with just the basics (ie bills at same address, joint bank accounts).

I'll be applying for mine at some point and wanted to get an idea of how long it might take and also how much paperwork to back it all up with I may actually be needing.

Hubby and I have been together since 2003, living together since 2005, married in 2007, child born 2008. I think this shows we are committed and together but like to cover all my bases and tick all the boxes in terms of being prepared.

Thanks in advance :)

Guest moonraker1959

My OH's took 2 years from start to finish.Way longer than the 3 mths we were quoted!!!! We had lived together for 5 years then at the time of applying had been married for 7!We had all the stat dec's from family and friends,and supplied a limited number of bills with both names on ect although we did'nt have joint bank accounts,don't think they cared too much about that aspect though.Our CO insisted we supply 5 years of spent bills.Easier said than done.For a start we did'nt know we had to have bills from that far back and secondly we had moved around alot due to OH's job so when we moved,only really kept bills for 3 mths then threw them out.Try asking BT,or Electricity company for 5 years bill history,not sure if its changed now but they could'nt supply them to us at the time.To top that off,we were allocated the CO from hell.Seriously grumpy and quite rude at times.When we needed to speak to her,she was never in the office,and then if we emailed,it took her weeks to reply.What I don't understand is around the time we applied my nephew(aussie)met his girlfriend(american)in London,never lived together,they both returned to Australia,and when she was granted her spousal,they had only lived together for 3 mths.My from point of view,I was relieved when it was all over.I know alot of people on this forum probably had a much easier time with theirs.Luckily our CO quit shortly after we were granted ours,just as well too!:biglaugh:

Wow, that is a long time :| Hope mine doesn't take that long. I shall dig about to see how soon its advised to begin the application process.

Luckily because of hubby being on a visa for here we keep a fair bit of paperwork bill wise and proof we are living together etc. We both ensure we get utility bills to each of us (me phone, hubby the electric etc) and have a shared AA membership and car insurance and other things.

One other question having done some reading, do police checks get carried out for the temp spouse visa or only when applying for a PR one further down the road? I'm expecting a medical and some form of police records search but not sure if its done for couples already married. Everything I read seems to refer to engaged couples planning to marry re police checks but I'd kind of expect the same for married couples. Well, not expect it but wouldn't be surprised.

My spouse visa took the four months we were quoted but at the minute they are quoting 6 months.It looks like you have all the relevant paperwork for the visa and often when you have children the will put you straight onto the 100 PR visa.You will need your meds and police check before you are granted any of the spouse visa's.I front loaded mine so there would be no delays.Good luck.

Guest seekingsunshine

my hubbys was very quick - application put in 27th May 2009 and was granted 3rd July 2009 so just over four weeks....

we frontloaded our application with police check and medical, we also used an agent who went through it all with us to make sure we had correct info and enough of it!

obviously its quite an easy visa so you dont really need an agent lol, but we had already booked our flights and needed the visa through asap!

good luck, just send in your medical and police checks and all your proof, with witness statements etc, do a time list etc, just make it as simple as possible for them!!

There is loads of information on this on Pomsinoz see -

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/58449-summary-spouse-visa-processing-times-offshore-uk-please-add-your-stats.html

Mine took about a month, but my situation was very straightforward (been together since 1992 and married since 1994). I gave them all the information they wanted, had bills etc going back years, mortgage statements etc etc. I even printed off some small thumbnail photos of us together for every year - showing us getting older and greyer together with children arriving etc. Didn't even have to speak to my CO just got a couple of emails that's all. The situation gets complicated if you have children from previous relationships or have been married before etc etc, or don't have any documents to prove what you are saying. The burden of proof is on you and although it seems ridiculous at times when getting all the information together, if you look at it from their point of view, how do they know that you are not making it all up.

Thanks for that link and sharing your experience. Good to know it can be that quick.

I think my main concern is the police check. I've never been in trouble with the police so am not worried in that respect (well unless you count 3 points on my DL about 15 years ago for speeding) just that I have lived elsewhere overseas in the past and am wondering how far back information wise they will wish to go and if I have to provide checks from those countries also (it could take a while I'd think). If so I need to get busy and perhaps contact an agent to help with the provess rather than trying to do it all myself.

I'll dig round the other forum more and see if I can find anything. Its all a bit vague, what I've read so far and I can't work out exactly what the criteria are.

Have you seen this pamphlet on Partner Migration? It can be downloaded from the Australian government immigration website www.immi.gov.au It spells out what needs to be provided. Download it from here http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

As regards police checks it says:

As part of having to satisfy the character test, you must provide police checks. Such

evidence will be considered in determining whether or not you can meet the character

requirements. Police checks are required for yourself and each of your dependants

(whether migrating or not) who are aged 16 years or over.

You should obtain a police check for each country in which you or your dependants have

resided during the last 10 years where:

• the period of residence was 12 months or longer (in total); and

• the person was aged 16 years or over at the time of residence.

You must provide the department with originals of police checks. These will generally not be returned to you, so you should make copies for your own records.

In undertaking character test assessment, the department may contact you and your

dependants seeking additional personal information.

If you apply outside Australia

You may need to provide this information

when you apply. You will be advised by

the office at which you will be lodging

your application when police checks are

required. That office will also provide you

with forms and instructions as appropriate.

Contact details for Australian missions are

on page 12.

I am sure that the vast majority of people don't bother with an agent - it's not a complicated process, but it does take a lot of time and you have to be very thorough. I did my UK police check online via this website Police Certificates

Good Luck!

Thank you for that link. I hadn't yet found that one (so much to read on those sites). I'd gotten so far into reading there and not noticed that one.

That solves it for me pretty much, which is a relief :) As I've stayed put in the UK the past decade, well, less that a year anywhere is the key, I'll only need a police check from here. If it had been anywhere prior to this I was potentially looking at having to get 4 or 5 others :eek:

Guest moonraker1959

The Meds and police checks were done whilst my OH was on a temporary visa.For what its worth,I'm sure everyone had a better experience then us,but I seriously got to the point at the time of nearly throwing in the towel.We did consider asking for another CO to take over our application,and in hindsight its what we should of done.

Mine was only a few weeks, 4 or 6 or something. The police check in the local auth I needed to do it was the thing that dictated the timeframe. I submitted the application with medicals and police check to follow and basically as soon as they got those I was sent an approval email. I didn't use an agent, just made sure the papers were all in order, scheduled nicely, and a good lot of evidence. We send family Christmas newsletters,so I included one of those for each of the years we've written them, and that doubled as our own evidence as well as photos, and of course copied a few anniversary cards to each other and from parents etc to us.

I worried a lot about it but when I did it, it wasn't half as bad. Oh, I also got the childrens' Aussie passports for the 2 that didn't have them, before I submitted my application. Being married over 5 years,and having children as well, really made the application a lot easier I think.

Can dig out the stuff if you have any more questions. HTH

FOund this on an old thread, so here are my dates:

DS2 and DS3 citizenship granted: Oct 27 2007

DS2 and DS3 Aust passports applied for and received Dec 2007

Medical: Feb 2nd 2008

Xray: Feb 5th 2008

Application posted: 10th Feb 2008

Application acknowledged: Feb 19 2008

Subclass 100 Visa granted March 7th 2008

Thanks for that Sally. Wow an X ray?! They do like to check stuff eh. What sort of stuff do they check on a medical. Just the usual health questions, BP, weight etc or is it more in depth.

We got our son his Aussie citizenship and passport before he was 6 months old. One of the things we didn't hang around on. Same if we have another baby before we leave the UK.

I'll probably apply about 6 - 8 months before we hope to leave to allow enough time for it all to come through.

The medicals are thorough. Includes blood test including HIV which I was not happy about, was a big deal for me emotionally though I am sure wouldn't be for many. The X-ray is a chest x-ray and was very discrete and modesty preserved. Not so for the medical and I found it insulting to be asked to sit there in bra and knickers for longer than necessary while my BP was taken. I was cross about that but not clever enough to say "actually I think I'll get dressed first".

We got our first son his citizenship and passport when we were in Adelaide when he was 4 mths old, and it was like going to the post office to buy some stamps it was so easy and laid back!!! The others we did by post in the UK before we did my application, and that was also easy though I had to travel to London to get the passports in person. Could have been a nice day out but I just did it on the spur of the moment while DS1 was at school so I had a quick turnaround!