Are we wasting time?

Guest BigSmiles

Guest BigSmiles

Hi,

just about to lodge the SS for a 176, but I have been awake since the silly hours mulling things over in my head. Would we be better going for a 175 and just getting the visa application straight in, seeing as the SS timelines seem to be taking so long.

I originally thought that the 176 would be quicker (want to get my daughter into school over there asap before she starts Y10), but after checking the DIAC this morning, it states that the 175 and the 176 each take 12 months. If we have to wait wait 8 weeks plus for the SS to come back wouldn't it just add more months of waiting time?

I had read somewhere that the 176 takes 6 months, is this still the case, or am I going mental?

So, which one really is quickest? How long is a piece of string?

Think I need to go back to bed :SLEEP:

Thanks x

Guest BigSmiles

I REALLY do need to stop panicking...just checked the DIAC again, totally wrong about the 175...so ignore that bit, but it still says 12 months for the 176, and I thought it was 6...is it?

Insanity is setting in and we have barely started the process....sweating palms, insomnia, irrationality and extreme irritability when the postman doesn't deliver what I want him to! Think I'm going to need those long golden beaches and an extensive wine tour when I get there (WHEN, and not IF, remaining positive throughout!)

I REALLY do need to stop panicking...just checked the DIAC again, totally wrong about the 175...so ignore that bit, but it still says 12 months for the 176, and I thought it was 6...is it?

Insanity is setting in and we have barely started the process....sweating palms, insomnia, irrationality and extreme irritability when the postman doesn't deliver what I want him to! Think I'm going to need those long golden beaches and an extensive wine tour when I get there (WHEN, and not IF, remaining positive throughout!)

We applied for our SS in September last year, was approved a month later and we applied online for 176 visa on 26th of November.

We were given a CO last week and have just had our medicals done this Thursday so hopefully it will be with them next week and we will just wait for the final decision.

The six months timeline for a 176 visa seem to be correct so I personally would go for a 176 visa because that put you in CAT 2 rather than CAT 3 or 4 for a 175.

Guest Guest6899

Hi as above no cases seem to be the same regarding time frames. As a nurse we are constantly been told we are in great demand, however i have been waiting longer for my ss than others who applied weeks later!! i dont think you will really know how long until your in the system.

Lisa

Guest Cara&Gav
Agree with all of the above. I just hope we get an answer with SA soon, because after the 1 July we won't be able to apply for 175 any more

Hey Boesman,

We are on the SA state sponsored timeline thread with you on PIA, we're in the same boat - not enough points after 1st July. Trying to stay calm, they've got to get to them soon surely.... Hopefully it's still quicker than changing state which I really don't want to do :-(

As to the original question, a 176 is much quicker than 175 - as long as you meet the quota otherwise you have to wait til next years quota.

If we miss the quota OH will have to do an IELTS to get the extra points for a 175, but tight on time & then another 2ish years wait.

Cara

Guest Adelaide_bound

I was talking to a couple of migration agents today, one said he reckons that after the July changes the 175 could take from 5-10 years possibly to be granted:eek: I thought that was a little silly, but can see where he was coming from (and he does have 15 years odd experience apparently, whereas I only have a few weeks research lol).

July is ages away people, chillax - SS will come through any day now and you will be thinking 'why did we worry'? Don't forget you only need to lodge before the changes, your application is assessed as the T&Cs at the moment of lodging and is not affected by the changes (in terms of eligability I mean), so as long as your SS comes back by 30th June, you are ok. The other agent reckoned that 176 are the way to go (agreeing with the other guy) from the PoV that he thinks the Cat 2/3/4 are now here to stay for a while that they have been mucked around for a while but should stay where they are, so as soon as you lodge for a 176 it would take up to 6 months, but should be a lot shorter than that.

Guest Cara&Gav
I was talking to a couple of migration agents today, one said he reckons that after the July changes the 175 could take from 5-10 years possibly to be granted:eek: I thought that was a little silly, but can see where he was coming from (and he does have 15 years odd experience apparently, whereas I only have a few weeks research lol).

July is ages away people, chillax - SS will come through any day now and you will be thinking 'why did we worry'? Don't forget you only need to lodge before the changes, your application is assessed as the T&Cs at the moment of lodging and is not affected by the changes (in terms of eligability I mean), so as long as your SS comes back by 30th June, you are ok. The other agent reckoned that 176 are the way to go (agreeing with the other guy) from the PoV that he thinks the Cat 2/3/4 are now here to stay for a while that they have been mucked around for a while but should stay where they are, so as soon as you lodge for a 176 it would take up to 6 months, but should be a lot shorter than that.

Hi,

I understand what you are saying but our worry isn't that it will come back in time, it is that we will get accepted before the quota is full, if the quota for our occupation fills before we get accepted then there is very little time to look at other options before July.

I'm sure you're right that for most people it will work out OK in the end but there has got to be a cut off somewhere on the places (1890 places for primary and secondary applicants accross 223 occupations, which is very many places per occupation if you break it down).

Cara

How do you know that the places are down to 1890 ,

we sat and talked about swaping states and have decided that were going with adelaide and if it dosn't happen for us, then it wasn't meant to be.

Guest Calstar

Not sure on this 6 month wait for a 176....

Our 176 application went in in Sept 2010, and still no CO....although some people have had theirs when their applications went in around the November 2010 time!

Hopefully hear something soon though!

I would recommend the 176, as although we have been waiting months, the 175 wait could be years!

Good luck with whatever you decide!