Primary Teacher registration

Guest pixie7

Hi

I'm right at the beginning of the long immigration journey- only just sorting my skills assessment documents out and booking IELTS. :daydreaming:

But I can help dreaming and (googling!) about when we get there. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of registering as a Primary Teacher in SA and what the process involves and how long it took before you could work?

I would love to be looking for a job before we go out there but I'm not sure if this is realistic- as I know I need to register first and I think I have to do this in person??

Any info/experiences appreciated

Pixie x

Guest BigSmiles

I'm a secondary teacher. Not got my quals assessed and registered yet as we are going in through OH's qualifications. From other posts I have seen it looks pretty straight forward, but you must show that you have done more than 80 hrs worth of classroom teaching during your training year, I know that they are really strict on that issue! Can't say how long it takes, try using the search button here, there's loads of info :)

I'm with you on the dreaming...it's a very exciting time isn't it. Best of luck with everything xx

Guest tpgc03

Hi Pixie, I am a primary school teacher and I am awaiting my certificate from the teaching board (teacher registration), fingers crossed it should be here this week. I started the pocess just after we arrived in November of last year. I have met other teachers over here in SA and they had their qualification assessed (step 1) in the UK and were ready to do their First Aid and Mandatory first week on arrival and get their teacher reg done fairly quickly.

The assessment of your teaching qual can be done from the UK, to be honest I would have loved to have been in a position to do that, however, everything happened so quickly in the end for us in terms of getting our 176 visa and shipping our effects. The assessment of my PGCE went on the back burner so to speak.

Anyway, heres what you need for Phase 1 (assessment of quals)

academic transcripts (both undergrad and post grad), your completion/conferral of award, a recent reference from your last school's Head, confirmation from your Uni of the number of hours you did on block placement (duration of the supervised teaching practice)

The above originals have to be sighted by a solicitor (if doing in UK) or a Justice of the Peace here in SA and stamped and signed to say that they are true copies of the original documentation.

THen pay your $100 and you should here something back within 2 - 3 weeks (if doing in Aus)

I booked onto the First Aid (Senior course) and the Mandatory (Child Abuse trg), both 1 day courses in January of this year see link here for the first aidAllens Training £120

link for mandatory ERC SA Home Page $80

Final Phase is the actual teacher registration

Once you get your approval from the teaching board re: qualification has been approved then you have to apply for registration.

You need - Full Birth Cert and Passport as photo evidence

Mandatory Trg Cert

Agree to an Aus Police Check (Part of the fee, currently $293)

UK Police Check (ACPO) cert

Again all of the above need to be originals that can be certified by a JP here in SA

Also you have to sign up to DECS which is the government department here in SA for teachers and upload all your First Aid/Mandatory certs etc to that (all done electronically) You can start this process from the UK and just keep going back to it as it will save your ongoing application.

The above is if you want to work in public schools in SA, if you work in private then you need to get a local Police check done and there is other agencies that you can sign up to get relief work in private schools.

Anyway that's enough for now :) Will keep you posted on when my rego comes through and how I get on with the Temporary Relief Teaching.....

BTW - don't let my timeframe put you off (nov 10 to Mar 11) I had one or two problems with documents not being on official Uni letterhead and Aus Immi holding my UK Police Check in Canberra so I had to write to them.

Regards and all the best with your move down under.....we are living the dream and love it!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

I am a primary school teacher in Scotland. In the process of getting my skills assessed (again!) Your info regarding registration was very useful, thanks! Would be interested in hearing how you are getting on.

Regards, Shelley Scott.

Guest pixie7

Thanks for the info everyone and nice to hear from people in the position or who have been.

Alex27 look forwards to hearing from you

tpgc03 thankyou! You have helped loads and its lovely to know you are living the dream and loving it! Can't wait to be able to say the same- just had Ofsted visit so I'm in recovery!!:goofy:

Hi

I'm right at the beginning of the long immigration journey- only just sorting my skills assessment documents out and booking IELTS. :daydreaming:

But I can help dreaming and (googling!) about when we get there. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of registering as a Primary Teacher in SA and what the process involves and how long it took before you could work?

I would love to be looking for a job before we go out there but I'm not sure if this is realistic- as I know I need to register first and I think I have to do this in person??

Any info/experiences appreciated

Pixie x

I left it too late to get mine from the UK so waited until I arrived. I got mine two weeks to the day of applying, but was quite pushy.

Just a word of warning, I know a few people who have not been able to get a job in primary and have moved into other jobs. Maybe this is not the case for all but I heard them same said on the radio on a local station from a local who could not get a job after two years. The population density is just not the same as many parts of the UK. We're from Manchester and there would be loads of places within 45mins, that's not the case here.

TRT (supply) can be difficult to get, but once you get some, it appears that it can gain momentum.

All the best,

Cooler

Guest Nick11

I was talking to an ozzie primary teacher last week...in 20 years he has never had a permanent job ..just lots and lots of short term contract teaching. Now that is scary!!!

I was talking to an ozzie primary teacher last week...in 20 years he has never had a permanent job ..just lots and lots of short term contract teaching. Now that is scary!!!

I met a guy on the beach at Moana last year who was teaching not too far from there. He left SA a few years ago to pursue a dream in QLD and married a foreign national. Moved to their country for a few years an came back. Cannot get a perm contract in the state sector and has never taught the subject he did at university. Can you get prm contracts in the state sector?

Cooler

Guest Nick11
I met a guy on the beach at Moana last year who was teaching not too far from there. He left SA a few years ago to pursue a dream in QLD and married a foreign national. Moved to their country for a few years an came back. Cannot get a perm contract in the state sector and has never taught the subject he did at university. Can you get prm contracts in the state sector?

Cooler

I think the chances of getting a perm contract in the state sector is on par with winning the lottery!:arghh:

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

i am just confused as to why SA would be sponsoring teachers if there are no jobs? (I'm glad they are tho'!)

Shelley x.

Hi,

i am just confused as to why SA would be sponsoring teachers if there are no jobs? (I'm glad they are tho'!)

Shelley x.

Good question, but not one I know the answer to.

I do know that the immigration state lists are influenced by DEEWR. The following link takes you to a PDF that looks at job/applicant demand in 2010 for SA.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Employment/LMI/RegionalReports/SA/Documents/NorthernAdelaideESA_April2010.pdf

I know that you can find lists that have jobs by demand and awkward to fill. Don't let it put anyone off, but I do think it helps to know the situation - well, as it appears to me at least.

Regards,

Cooler

Guest alex27

I wonder if the situation is any better in private schools? It's a bit worrying to hear that there are no permanent jobs for teachers...I knew this was the case when they took it off the SOL. But when I saw SA was sponsoring I thought maybe the situation was different there...

I wonder if the situation is any better in private schools? It's a bit worrying to hear that there are no permanent jobs for teachers...I knew this was the case when they took it off the SOL. But when I saw SA was sponsoring I thought maybe the situation was different there...

I don't really know but someone maybe able to help you there.

Cooler

Cooler

Guest Adelaide_bound
I It's a bit worrying to hear that there are no permanent jobs for teachers...

I think you have to look at the teaching culture in Australia though - permanent jobs just aren't the way things are done there usually (from what I have learnt through various forums, and speaking to aussie friends/people teaching in Aus) - just because there aren't perm. contracts, it doesn't mean there aren't any jobs. - before CS seemed to be a perfectly acceptable way to teach kids in the UK, many people (a small, but significant % of teachers) worked solely as supply teachers and managed to support families on it (myself being one of those).

I look on it in a similar way to renting - thats not a perm 'forever' contract, just rolling 12 months to 12 months, but it has always done us fine and serves many families etc perfectly well :)

Guest china
Hi Pixie, I am a primary school teacher and I am awaiting my certificate from the teaching board (teacher registration), fingers crossed it should be here this week. I started the pocess just after we arrived in November of last year. I have met other teachers over here in SA and they had their qualification assessed (step 1) in the UK and were ready to do their First Aid and Mandatory first week on arrival and get their teacher reg done fairly quickly.

The assessment of your teaching qual can be done from the UK, to be honest I would have loved to have been in a position to do that, however, everything happened so quickly in the end for us in terms of getting our 176 visa and shipping our effects. The assessment of my PGCE went on the back burner so to speak.

academic transcripts (both undergrad and post grad), your completion/conferral of award, a recent reference from your last school's Head, confirmation from your Uni of the number of hours you did on block placement (duration of the supervised teaching practice)

The above originals have to be sighted by a solicitor (if doing in UK) or a Justice of the Peace here in SA and stamped and signed to say that they are true copies of the original documentation.

THen pay your $100 and you should here something back within 2 - 3 weeks (if doing in Aus)

I booked onto the First Aid (Senior course) and the Mandatory (Child Abuse trg), both 1 day courses in January of this year see link here for the first aidAllens Training £120

Once you get your approval from the teaching board re: qualification has been approved then you have to apply for registration.

Mandatory Trg Cert

Again all of the above need to be originals that can be certified by a JP here in SA

Also you have to sign up to DECS which is the government department here in SA for teachers and upload all your First Aid/Mandatory certs etc to that (all done electronically) You can start this process from the UK and just keep going back to it as it will save your ongoing application.

The above is if you want to work in public schools in SA, if you work in private then you need to get a local Police check done and there is other agencies that you can sign up to get relief work in private schools.

Anyway that's enough for now :) Will keep you posted on when my rego comes through and how I get on with the Temporary Relief Teaching.....

BTW - don't let my timeframe put you off (nov 10 to Mar 11) I had one or two problems with documents not being on official Uni letterhead and Aus Immi holding my UK Police Check in Canberra so I had to write to them.

Regards and all the best with your move down under.....we are living the dream and love it!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hi!

I have just joined poms in adelaide from the poms in oz site - we received our visas on friday! yay! So I am now into preparing and planning mode. My OH is a secondary school teacher, and so all this info on teh registration is so helpful, as although the info does seem to be available on the SA edu website, it isn't very clear, and there are absolutely no timescales.

So anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for this great, and coherent post!

China x

I think you have to look at the teaching culture in Australia though - permanent jobs just aren't the way things are done there usually (from what I have learnt through various forums, and speaking to aussie friends/people teaching in Aus) - just because there aren't perm. contracts, it doesn't mean there aren't any jobs. - before CS seemed to be a perfectly acceptable way to teach kids in the UK, many people (a small, but significant % of teachers) worked solely as supply teachers and managed to support families on it (myself being one of those).

I look on it in a similar way to renting - thats not a perm 'forever' contract, just rolling 12 months to 12 months, but it has always done us fine and serves many families etc perfectly well :)

There are permanent jobs in the private sector but it does appear hard to get a job in primary. I have an australian friend who had a contract last year (first year of teaching but a mature adult) but has had no TRT since the start of this year. I think if the main income is going to be based on someone working in the primary sector, then it maybe good to have a contingency.

Though I appear to be painting a difficult situation, I am sure that some people manage to find a job. If the situation is different, it would be good to hear that from someone here.

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest Nick11

Contract teaching suits lots of teachers..moving from school to school..variety being the spice of life and all that..not for me though. My sons teacher has a years contract at the school..but for the first 2 weeks of this term could have had the job taken away from him if DECS needed to find a permanent teacher a position. Not good for the kids or the teacher.

I did get an e-mail from DECS saying they are thinking of amending the system..whereby principals have more of a say on which teachers they want..and more importantly don't want..to teach in their schools.

I do find it bizarre that primary teachers are still on the wanted list by sa..however they reckon that in the next 5- 10 years there will be a huge teaching shortage in sa as the majority of teachers here are over the age of 55. Teachers are hanging on for their supers...my sons teacher in year 1 was 70 and in very poor health both mentally and physically.

There are 25,000 teaching posts in sa. 11,000 of them are filled by contract teachers.

As cooler has said..if your family relies on your wage..teaching here is very unpredictable. I also know a couple of contract teachers who can't get mortgages.

Guest tpgc03

Just thought I would jump back in here whilst still waiting for my teacher rego to come through. The situation here in SA and other states for permanent contracts isn't rosy, however, there will be a change in the future and government are seeking comments/feedback on a new teacher recruitment policy. The proposals are currently in draft status and all existing teachers on the Employable Teacher Register have been asked to comment and share their ideas to try and shape the policy.

Below is an extract from an e-mail I have recently received from DECS;

The proposed new policy abolishes the ten-year rule, which in turn removes the need to give priority placement each year to all those displaced permanent teachers, which will then free up many more positions that can be advertised for open selection. All applicants for these positions will be considered equally, regardless of whether they are permanent or not.

Schools will also have the opportunity to convert good existing temporary teachers to permanent if they have been in a contract for two years or longer.

The proposed policy aims to achieve a number of objectives, including:

§ providing more permanent positions for temporary (contract) teachers – including significantly increased opportunities for permanent employment in metropolitan schools

§ giving schools a stronger say in selecting teachers who best suit the context and circumstances of the school

• providing longer-term contract positions in schools (up to three years) where a permanent teacher holds right of return – eg due to maternity / parenting leave

There are many other aspects of the proposed policy that will be of benefit to teachers who are looking for better career opportunities in our schools. A copy of the new draft policy and a companion document that provides further detail and discussion of the policy proposal can be found at:

www.decs.sa.gov.au/TeacherRecruitment

I had heard about the abolishment of the 10 year contract rule from discussions with my sons class teacher. He has recently moved to a 5 year contract, his ideal job too as a full time Phys Ed teacher in Primary, which as it happens is my dream job! There is also discussions in gov about introducing a 'get out' package for teachers that are coming toward the end of their teaching career, which if it goes ahead will be in the region of $50k. So I guess if this gets the green light and teachers think about this option then it does open up more opportunities for younger teachers to enter the career on longer term permanent contracts.

Hope this may shed some further light for people thinking about making the move over here as Primary teachers (can't comment for High School situation although I guess a lot of above applies)

Regarding the GTP front, I was about to start the course in the UK when I suddenly found out that it is not accepted in Aus so I quickly managed to secure a place on a PGCE, which is fine for teaching here in SA (can't comment for other states) That was early 2010, I believe that this is still the case in terms of the GTP not being considered as a teaching qual.

Nick

Guest Nick11

I don't think the get out package of 50 grand will attract many teachers...there are a lot of older teachers in DECS that will be there til they drop. Apparently about 15/20 years ago DECS screwed with their super, that has left many short of cash.

My friend teaches at the biggest primary school in sa and only one member of staff is interested in retirement and they were going to go at the end of the year anyway..so its just a sweetner for them.

She reckons the teacher shortage predictions have been in the news for the last 5 years and nothing is going to change for a long long time.

Guest AngPhil

Mandatory Trg Cert

Thanks so much for this. I'm a secondary Maths teacher, does anyone know if the job prospects are any better for secondary Maths? In the UK we are really in demand and I was just wondering if it is the case in SA?

Thanks so much for this. I'm a secondary Maths teacher, does anyone know if the job prospects are any better for secondary Maths? In the UK we are really in demand and I was just wondering if it is the case in SA?

High school maths is demand, especially if you can teach the SACE at year 11 and 12. That's similar to A level in the UK. If you can teach physics (or science) as well at middle school level or at year 11 and 12, well that would certainly open many doors.

Cooler

Guest AngPhil
High school maths is demand, especially if you can teach the SACE at year 11 and 12. That's similar to A level in the UK. If you can teach physics (or science) as well at middle school level or at year 11 and 12, well that would certainly open many doors.

Cooler

Thanks so much for this, we are planning to make the move Autum 2012, so I've now had a chat with our Science department and I'm going to do some Physics and dual science exams so I have a clue about the Science subject knowledge. Maths teachers are very lucky if they get to do anything other than Maths here! :eek:

Guest china

Hi Nick11, do you know if secondary science are plentiful too? When I look online at jobs a lot of schools seem to want science and something else - uncommon here. Thanks :) x