IELTS for UK Nurses......Yes or NO ?

Guest bayst

Hi, have just come back from an Australian Immigration event here in the UK, I spoke to an healthcare employer who (in her words) was certain that IELTS was no longer required, if you could a) prove your secondary education was taken and taught in English and b)Your Nursing diploma/degree was also taken and taught in English.

I questioned this as it conflicts with a recent email I received from AHPRA stating that all International qualified persons must complete the IELTS test.

Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the NMBA guidelines given to AHPRA.........Aaarrggghhhh!!!!!

Please, Please could someone with the right contacts either in Australia,Ahpra,NMBA or within the Immigration Dept.........get a definitive answer, as the current advice being given to Nurses within the UK is inconsistent at best and just plain wrong the rest of the time.

Im sure this is a bone of contention for many nurses and immigration agents alike, many of whom would also like to know the official/current interpretation.

If any others have recent communication from NMBA / AHPRA or experience of the process it would be good to hear from you and how you got on.

Kind Regards

Miss P Doff (pseudonym)

Keep Smilin'

Guest Mummy Mann

Hi

I am a nurse too. I am going down the 175 visa route and I do need the IELTS for this visa and for the skills assessment by the ANMC.

I hope you can get the answers you need. It is mind boggling at times.

Regards

Coral

Guest leemina

This whole ANMC/AHPRA situation is a joke. I dont understand why on earth i completed a full ANMC assessment last year and now have to repeat all the paperwork involved to be sent to AHPRA. Its stupid. I now need to get more paperwork certified, at more cost. I also need my manager to sign a CV, which is daft as how on earth can they sign stating that its true and correct, how does my manager know that its true??? Silly.

I also thought that because i did the full assessment with ANMC that when I registered it would be cheaper, but its gonna cost me $450 for AHPRA, thats another hell of a lot of money.

I wanted to start the ball rolling this month with the AHPRA reg, but cant as i've got the medicals to pay for. Its gonna have to wait till next month now. This means waiting longer for reg, but heigh ho, whats another month eh???

Anyway, rant over.

Guest Steph&Lee

Hi everyone,

I am a nurse and YES you DO have to sit the IELTS!!!! Unfortunately!! I know a lot of the sites are confusing as wether you have to or not (I found that too) but it has to be done. Crazy when we'r born/bred/studied in Britain!!

Try to book your IELTS asap as they book out about 3 months in advance!

Good luck with sitting it, its not the easiest of tests as as a nurse you have to sit the academic version too which is the harder one.

Steph

Guest fluxsta
Hi, have just come back from an Australian Immigration event here in the UK, I spoke to an healthcare employer who (in her words) was certain that IELTS was no longer required, if you could a) prove your secondary education was taken and taught in English and b)Your Nursing diploma/degree was also taken and taught in English.

I questioned this as it conflicts with a recent email I received from AHPRA stating that all International qualified persons must complete the IELTS test.

Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the NMBA guidelines given to AHPRA.........Aaarrggghhhh!!!!!

Please, Please could someone with the right contacts either in Australia,Ahpra,NMBA or within the Immigration Dept.........get a definitive answer, as the current advice being given to Nurses within the UK is inconsistent at best and just plain wrong the rest of the time.

Im sure this is a bone of contention for many nurses and immigration agents alike, many of whom would also like to know the official/current interpretation.

If any others have recent communication from NMBA / AHPRA or experience of the process it would be good to hear from you and how you got on.

Kind Regards

Miss P Doff (pseudonym)

Keep Smilin'

Hi, if people search this forum correctly you wll find the correct answers. I have returned from AHPRA office in Adelaide recently. Going on 457 visa,staff at AHPRA stated that i din't need the IELTS!!! Sat it anyway.

if you are going down 175 route then yes ANMC skills assessment requires IELTS. I have heard it from the horses motuh in person early feb 2011....AHPRA DO NOT NEED!!! there is much debate here, but i have just come back from the Adelaide office. E-mail AHPRA directly for definitve answer. if you look on the AGOS-04 nurse application it 'categorically states' that if your secondary education is n english then this is ALL you need to prove. I just gave them my GCSE certs and also nursing transcripts.

Guest fluxsta
This whole ANMC/AHPRA situation is a joke. I dont understand why on earth i completed a full ANMC assessment last year and now have to repeat all the paperwork involved to be sent to AHPRA. Its stupid. I now need to get more paperwork certified, at more cost. I also need my manager to sign a CV, which is daft as how on earth can they sign stating that its true and correct, how does my manager know that its true??? Silly.

I also thought that because i did the full assessment with ANMC that when I registered it would be cheaper, but its gonna cost me $450 for AHPRA, thats another hell of a lot of money.

I wanted to start the ball rolling this month with the AHPRA reg, but cant as i've got the medicals to pay for. Its gonna have to wait till next month now. This means waiting longer for reg, but heigh ho, whats another month eh???

Anyway, rant over.

hi, your employer knows to a certain extent that it is true as that is what you would of based your application for that post on? My manager was cool, just told him that we were 'considering' moving over to oz! ha ha ;-)

• 3 months later...
Guest kenco

Kind Regards

Miss P Doff (pseudonym)

Keep Smilin'

i have my self questioned this with ahpra the government but to no avail no one will answer i just paid 450.00 to sit this test with a major fault on their behalf on their web site application i am a RGN and was educated from birth in the uk and worked as a nurse in the uk since qualifying and find this bizarre to say the least, the documentation requsted when i booked the first test wwas not clear as it asked for your NI number ? to us in the uk can be your identity number i had recently got married so i sent this went to london to be refused the test i am now after a long debate with oet actually taking the test with my passport which was not clearly identified as aceptance when booking at that time but yet it took my money online ?? i will help in any way i can to back this up