Oops IELTS

Guest deleriumal

Guest deleriumal

Ok so sat my Ielts yesterday and I'm sure this is going to sound stupid from a native english speaker but i think i've messed up the speaking!

I think I was a bit too chilled out and the bloke who tested me didn't do anything to challenge that. So it started really stinted, he kept asking really closed questions and I was thinking is this not meant to be an english speaking test surely I should be expanding on what I am saying then going into a waffle about something completely irrelevant. So here I am struggling with whether I am doing ok or not (and this is the bit my hubby keeps teasing me about and saying i've messed up) I used slang. He threw me you see cos up until then it had been those weird half closed questions like where are you from and were you taught about the history of the area while growing up? when he asked what is the place you grew up famous for.....to which I instantly replied 'being a dive':arghh:I obviously went on to expand and talk about other stuff but hubby has made me really paranoid about it keeps on about how it is a formal english exam!

Has anyone else been too chilled out and made a misplaced joke/comment and survived?

I also forgot to pay attention to the listening so hey ho may have messed that too...

I did do it with only around 3 hours sleep ( and leaky boobs!:biglaugh:) since the 7 week old decided that friday night was the first night in a week he wasn't going to sleep through!

Guest Mummy Mann

I sat my IELTS Friday and yesterday and I think I messed up on the speaking part too. My problem was nerves though and I was asked about the history of the town where I live which I don't know much about either.

Hope you get the results you need. Roll on the next 2 weeks :0)

Guest MutleyCrew

Hey, slow down and relax. I'm sure you'll have done just fine. I recall my speaking test and I was also fairly chilled and waffled a little about the subject they had asked me to talk about - high tech equipment I used on a daily basis!! In truth I can't recall what I actually talked about and thinking back I also felt that no sooner had I walked out the door following the test!!! The test is not meant to challenge you and if you are native English I think you are almost guaranteed a good pass mark unless you tried to speak some form of alien English that is not yet decipherable by the human ear!!!

Have a glass of wine and chill - oop's sorry just re-read your last line in your post so on second thougts have a nice hot chocolate or something warm and soothing!!

Good luck and let us know your result!!

Ok so sat my Ielts yesterday and I'm sure this is going to sound stupid from a native english speaker but i think i've messed up the speaking!

I think I was a bit too chilled out and the bloke who tested me didn't do anything to challenge that. So it started really stinted, he kept asking really closed questions and I was thinking is this not meant to be an english speaking test surely I should be expanding on what I am saying then going into a waffle about something completely irrelevant. So here I am struggling with whether I am doing ok or not (and this is the bit my hubby keeps teasing me about and saying i've messed up) I used slang. He threw me you see cos up until then it had been those weird half closed questions like where are you from and were you taught about the history of the area while growing up? when he asked what is the place you grew up famous for.....to which I instantly replied 'being a dive':arghh:I obviously went on to expand and talk about other stuff but hubby has made me really paranoid about it keeps on about how it is a formal english exam!

Has anyone else been too chilled out and made a misplaced joke/comment and survived?

I also forgot to pay attention to the listening so hey ho may have messed that too...

I did do it with only around 3 hours sleep ( and leaky boobs!:biglaugh:) since the 7 week old decided that friday night was the first night in a week he wasn't going to sleep through!

I spat my tea out reading that ,I do hope your sence or humor came across as well as it did in your post:biglaugh:,good luck I do hope you've past.

Guest deleriumal

I think the pressure is on because hubby got 9's across the board apart from his writing so he's really pushing the slang thing.

My memories of it are saying the above, declaring that I went to a posh school hence reason that only sport I played when younger was lacrosse and then having to talk about the healthy diet of my country (which being scotland the sick man of europe was not the easiest to find inspiration) Just as well we're not marked on opinions but our use of the language!!

Guest deleriumal
I spat my tea out reading that ,I do hope your sence or humor came across as well as it did in your post:biglaugh:,good luck I do hope you've past.

This poster takes no responsibility for water damaged keyboards......

then having to talk about the healthy diet of my country (which being scotland the sick man of europe was not the easiest to find inspiration)

Healthy diet - easy - oats porridge and the medicinal value of whisky - covers just about everything!!:biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deleriumal

Sigh of relief....got 9's across the board bar an 8 for the writing....so slang is acceptable in small doses....

phew!:notworthy:

plus I beat hubby!:biglaugh:

Guest donna888

Dont worry, i sat mine a couple of weeks ago and spent most of the time saying er er um and stuttering - got my results and got a 9 in speaking!!! i thought i had messed up too! so dont panic - they will know that you are a native speaker and you will be fine!

Donna

Guest vicky_1970

How long did it take to get your IELTS results ? I sat mine on the 5th March and am worried what results I might have got - reading, writing and listening I think ok but worried about the speaking like you were !! I'm desperate to find out as hoping to get 8 overall in case I miss the 1st July deadline !!

Guest donna888
How long did it take to get your IELTS results ? I sat mine on the 5th March and am worried what results I might have got - reading, writing and listening I think ok but worried about the speaking like you were !! I'm desperate to find out as hoping to get 8 overall in case I miss the 1st July deadline !!

Hi

waited 2 weeks for results , u will be fine

• 2 months later...

I sat my IELTS today:goofy: all i can say is thank goodness it's over and i hope i don't have to sit it again. Listening was ok, it is easy to drift though as others have said because you have to listen through alot of speak before you get to the bit you need to answer, reading i didn't like, trying to find the paragraph that fits a description given, writing i waffled on a bit 1st was a graph looking at sales of items in different countries, 2nd piece was asking for debate/opinion, the speaking part, well i'm sure the examiner must have thought i came from another planet as by that point anxiety and nerves had taken over, i could hear bits of conversation with the person in front of me and thought wow! i can answer that, when it came to my turn i'm sure because i'm an all round english woman they pitched the questions much higher, why couldn't i have been asked "which do you prefer, giving or receiving gifts and why" that question was actually on the cd with the ielts book i bought!!! i think i did ok time will tell i'll find out in 13 days (not that i'm counting) But please G*d let me pass, don't let me have to do it ll over again...

My advice is practise, practise, practise, i don't think i did enough because of work and family etc, etc, so i've only got myself to blame......hubby sits his ielts in 2 weeks:shocked:

Guest vicky_1970

I'm sure you'll find you did better than you think. I did loads of practice - not because I can't speak, write, read and listen in English but because the trick is in the questions and how they want the answers. I found the reading most difficult because sometimes it is easy to think you have read something or interpret something. I totally fluffed my speaking so nervous - I even stopped talking (total silence) 1 minute into my 2 minute talk !!!

Did you do the acedemic test ? Sounds like it if you were looking at graphs !!

Fingers crossed for you - but I'm sure you won't need it

Vicky

Thankyou Vicky, it was the academic test, i'm so glad i wasn't the only one who stopped talking, i'm not used to having to talk at length about myself and opinions i'm used to getting others to talk to me and assessing their behaviour, body language and speech, i wanted to interview the examiner....;)

Guest Adelaide_bound

If it helps any, I didn't think I'd done that well in my speaking bit, mainly because one of the questions (the one you have to prepare for two minutes) I asked if I could just start, and not have the two minutes, and she didn't let me, but made me have the two minutes - but as I felt a bit of a div at writing anything down, being a native speaker and everything, I didn't write anything down, then when she let me start, I started ok, then repeated something I'd already said, then went 'Oh no! I've already said that, um, er, where was I? Er...oh yeah...' and then she stopped me.

I got a 9 in speaking though, so obviously not a problem :D

What stage are you at - do you have your SA SS already ??

Vicky

No we don't have SS yet, we need to have a positive skills assessment first, so we're right at the start of the process. Dh will be the main visa applicant so this is how we're doing it: ielts, anmac, SA SS, Visa applic. and aphra somewhere in the middle of it all:)

Sue