Police Checks Have Come Back Wrong

minty

How typical of the British Police eh.

Ive just got my APCO police certificate back and its wrong.

It has me down as having a disaplinary within the Army in 1994 (of which it says there was no outcome) but i have no military disaplinary records. Also on my discharge certificate from the Army it has me down as having a good record.

And to prove mistakes happen i do have a civilian conviction from a magistrates court for somthing quite silly that im not proud of from 1993 which i have always disclosed on my visa application and they have missed this on the ACPO certificate completely.

Still shows up on my Mayflower CRB check that i have done every year for work though.

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Am thinking of now uploading both certificates as i have been honest and see what my case officer says.

Guest kangomik

It's fair to say that system is not the best in the world, god only knows how they get cases across the line. I had a choice of several people to pick from when i sent mine in!:goofy:

Hope you manage to get things sorted

Honesty is always the best policy!If you have nothing to hide,you have nothing to fear.Hope it works out ok for you.

I completly agree and have always put my spent conviction on the visa application as its really nothing to worry about. Problem is this has not shown on the APCO certificate and anothor military charge has which is not mine and if it was i would of disclosed this aswell as its a lesser charge then the one that i had already disclosed.

If it wasnt for a visa application it would be quite funny.

I will ring up ACPO on Monday as they should also have the rank and military service number of my dopleganger which i can show them my discharge book to prove its not me.

Guest Chandan

you'll be fine... my naughty hubby at the age of 17 turning 18 nicked some money (the one and only time , got charged with it.. did his police check, told them everything and it had 11 counts from the same incident on his.. I almost sh*t myself when I opened the police check.. thinking all our dreams had been in vain, we explained it was a one off 12 years ago (he learnt his lesson!!!) and has been a law abidding citizen since and they gave him permanent residency!

just be honest, if you havent reoffended continuiously you will be ok.

god luck and I can sympathise with you and how that gut ache when reading that letter for the first time feels!!

Danni

It's one argument of the people who want national identity cards - if we all had a unique number, then there would be no chance of getting someone else's information back from a computer check. Saying that, surely everyone in the armed forces has a number. It's hard for computer programs to always select the right person, especially if you have a common name, no middle name, or if the name has been mis-spelt, or you have moved address a lot or your date of birth doesn't match their records etc. (I worked for a while on a credit checking computer system). The data that is being checked has only been entered by people, and mistakes can be made along the way. Maybe the writing on the source documents was hard to read or the person entering the data on the system typed it in wrong.

I would think that honesty is always the best policy in relation to your application, and also send a copy of your army discharge showing you had no problems.

It's one argument of the people who want national identity cards - if we all had a unique number, then there would be no chance of getting someone else's information back from a computer check. Saying that, surely everyone in the armed forces has a number. It's hard for computer programs to always select the right person, especially if you have a common name, no middle name, or if the name has been mis-spelt, or you have moved address a lot or your date of birth doesn't match their records etc. (I worked for a while on a credit checking computer system). The data that is being checked has only been entered by people, and mistakes can be made along the way. Maybe the writing on the source documents was hard to read or the person entering the data on the system typed it in wrong.

I would think that honesty is always the best policy in relation to your application, and also send a copy of your army discharge showing you had no problems.

Your right everyone in the army does have an Army number so i will get ACPO to re check on Monday. I will also get them to check the unit as i know i was the only Bacon in my batallion in the 8 years i was in it. The good thing is i have yearly CRB checks done for my work and these all do not have this on it. And as i was in the army i had to also submit an Army discharge form aswell which has me down as having very good conduct. Probably would not matter anyway but its not the point.

One job I had, they copied my National Insurance number down wrongly from the P45 from my previous job (swapped 2 numbers round), and it took me a year until I noticed that all my NI contributions were being paid to someone else !!

If you know something is wrong then follow it up - good luck!

Well that was easier then i thought.

Phoned up ACPO who instantly saw that the DOB was completely different to mine.

They have phoned the military police records who have said sorry and confirmed that it is a mistake. New Police check being posted today.

Amazed in this day that mistakes like this can happen but happy that its all sorted out.