Claiming UK child benefit & tax credits

spanners

Can anyone tell me how long I can keep claiming UK Child benefit and tax credits for? I've read somewhere 9 months was the limit but I've also been told you need to stop claiming if you leave the country for 28+ days. I'm on a business 457 visa if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Guest MADTOM
Can anyone tell me how long I can keep claiming UK Child benefit and tax credits for? I've read somewhere 9 months was the limit but I've also been told you need to stop claiming if you leave the country for 28+ days. I'm on a business 457 visa if it makes any difference.

Thanks

If you leave the country intending to be away for over 52 weeks (which you are on a 457 visa) you are not entitled to Child benefit and UK tax credits stop on the day you leave the UK if going abroad for a year or more.

Afraid you can't claim benefits of any kind in Oz either (we tried) but on a 457 its a no no

Guest shella_n

yup you are not entitled to anything from the day you leave - I am still receiving tax credits case I cant get them to stop bloody paying it though!

Guest The Dimmocks

We told them the date we were leaving and was cancelled that day. At the end of the financial year we did get a nice sum of money of under payments back off tax credits. You have to inform them of your new address as well as they will still send you paperwork to complete end of year claim forms for the year you leave in.