Where to live Adelaide?

Guest william buchanan

Guest william buchanan

Hi all, I've been looking at the forum for months now and as I'm hopefull that I will get my Visa within the next few weeks wondered if I could get some advice. I've not been to Adelaide before and after researching various suburbs like the sound of Woodcroft. It seems to be near to city/beach, reasonable house prices and has good amenities incl. golf course for my mad keen golfing family. I am a self employed plumber/bathroom installer in uk and i'm hoping to get something similar in Oz. Can anyone confirm if it is a good area or give any other suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Billy

Guest Guest75

Woodcroft is not a bad suburb at all. I know it fairly well.

2 golf courses, The Vines and Thaxted Park.

Very short car trip to the beach.

Schools good and reasonable shopping facilities around.

35 mins from the city.

Guest william buchanan

Hi, thanks for the info. It goes a little way to helping us choose, although I know that you really have to see it to get a feel. We are hoping to get a rental when we come over and take our time driving around. Could I just pick your brains some more. Do you have any idea if they are building new houses anywhere near woodcroft? Do you think we would get a rental easily enough? From what we can make out on forums it is a nightmare. Also does anyone know if you can buy a car while in temporary rental as it seems really expensive to hire one for a month or so. How easy is it to get the kids (9+10) enrolled into school in Woodcroft?

Thanks all

Billy, louisa, Aaron&Jack

Guest Guest75
Hi, thanks for the info. It goes a little way to helping us choose, although I know that you really have to see it to get a feel. We are hoping to get a rental when we come over and take our time driving around. Could I just pick your brains some more. Do you have any idea if they are building new houses anywhere near woodcroft? Do you think we would get a rental easily enough? From what we can make out on forums it is a nightmare. Also does anyone know if you can buy a car while in temporary rental as it seems really expensive to hire one for a month or so. How easy is it to get the kids (9+10) enrolled into school in Woodcroft?

Thanks all

Billy, louisa, Aaron&Jack

Yep,you are right. You can't decide on a suburb until you get here , but a little research goes a long way.

Not that much building going on in Woodcroft now. Certainly not to the extent of Aldinga.

Still some blocks around though.

Good rentals are in short supply I'm afraid, Woodcroft in particular is pretty popular.

Unless you are very lucky don't anticipate finding a good one on week 1.

You can buy a car virtually as soon as you arrive - but wait until the jet lag goes!!!

You may have to ask the owner of the temp accommodation to provide written proof you are staying at their property. That's about it - apart from remembering to change your details when you move to longer term accommodation.

I hear the Woodcroft schools are getting pretty full. No young kids now so someone else will have to answer that one....

Right, I'm off fishing :cute:

Guest WAITINGAME

Woodcroft sounds a lovely area and just watch am looking for near the beaches and just a short drive away from the citie....maybe just have to do a bit of work on this now.

Guest william buchanan
Woodcroft sounds a lovely area and just watch am looking for near the beaches and just a short drive away from the citie....maybe just have to do a bit of work on this now.

Read your other post today and I think there are so many of us in the same situation. We did 2 reccies to Perth in last couple of years but changed our minds as seems to be more work in Adelaide. We have just put our house up for sale as feel want to go for it 100% and as we want to buy in Oz at somepoint would be more hassle to try and sell when we are over there. I suppose we will just have to order that book that someone suggested to you and get as much info as possible from all the experts of this site.

Guest WAITINGAME
Read your other post today and I think there are so many of us in the same situation. We did 2 reccies to Perth in last couple of years but changed our minds as seems to be more work in Adelaide. We have just put our house up for sale as feel want to go for it 100% and as we want to buy in Oz at somepoint would be more hassle to try and sell when we are over there. I suppose we will just have to order that book that someone suggested to you and get as much info as possible from all the experts of this site.

I know its hard isnt it....i ordered the book from Amazon think it worked out about £7.00 with postage...2nd hand but who cares...hopefully there will be some good information in it.

I suppose its probably much easier when your there and see the places for yourself.

When are you expecting to go?

Lindsey

Guest william buchanan
I know its hard isnt it....i ordered the book from Amazon think it worked out about £7.00 with postage...2nd hand but who cares...hopefully there will be some good information in it.

I suppose its probably much easier when your there and see the places for yourself.

When are you expecting to go?

Lindsey

We are hoping to go as soon as house sold, just went on market today. We had meds on 3 March so should get visa soon. Hopefully we won't have to activate before we can go for good as that just wastes another 10K. All going well we hope to go a bout Sept. My hubby is a self employed plumber and there seems to be lots of jobs at moment so hope that's that case when we go.

Louisa

Guest satish_lkb

Hi All,

We (me, oh and 2 kids) planning to land Adelaide next month and currently searching various suburbus for our settlement. Got suggestions from someone that Prospect, Enfield, Woodville are good places to live and proximity to CBD is also good. Please provide your views about the places mentioned above.

We are looking for furnished apartments for our initial stay of 1 week in Adelaide.....

Kindly guide us and provide us details of furnished apartments in Adelaide for a stay of 1 week..

Satish

Guest kangomik
Hi All,

We (me, oh and 2 kids) planning to land Adelaide next month and currently searching various suburbus for our settlement. Got suggestions from someone that Prospect, Enfield, Woodville are good places to live and proximity to CBD is also good. Please provide your views about the places mentioned above.

We are looking for furnished apartments for our initial stay of 1 week in Adelaide.....

Kindly guide us and provide us details of furnished apartments in Adelaide for a stay of 1 week..

Satish

They are close to the city, but i wouldnt' say they are great suburbs, I don't know who has given you the advice, and if it's based on house prices I would be looking else where.

They are on the main northern in roads, the districts are old, and the houses are too. Yes there are pockets of new builds but they are taking their time as the old buildings get ripped down.

I have relatives that have just built in woodville gardens, it will be a nicer area once everything is finished.

Have a good look around. It's ok saying house prices have risen 40% in a year in these area's but when they were only in the low 200 range anyway they won't continue rising for long.

There's alot of industry in the area. Kilburn has a large foundry which Locals know about......... unfortunately new people don't.

There's a lot of work around those rail lines too.

With regards to Enfield, Prospect and Woodville - it depends what you want. These areas are older, but offer good value for money especially if you want to be near the CBD and the industrial areas north and north west of Adelaide for work. There are good public transport links too. There are some lovely old houses in Prospect and Woodville, along leafy avenues, plus plenty of shops etc. There is also a large housing development at Woodville, with lots of new houses being built. Have a look on www.realestate.com.au. Not everyone wants to live out in the country or by the beach, or have a long commute to work. These areas are also very multi-cultural with a diverse ethnic mix so have a good variety of restaurants, grocery stores etc. There are some dodgy areas though, especially along Hanson Road where we have spotted ladies of the night (in broad daylight!).

Guest WAITINGAME
With regards to Enfield, Prospect and Woodville - it depends what you want. These areas are older, but offer good value for money especially if you want to be near the CBD and the industrial areas north and north west of Adelaide for work. There are good public transport links too. There are some lovely old houses in Prospect and Woodville, along leafy avenues, plus plenty of shops etc. There is also a large housing development at Woodville, with lots of new houses being built. Have a look on www.realestate.com.au. Not everyone wants to live out in the country or by the beach, or have a long commute to work. These areas are also very multi-cultural with a diverse ethnic mix so have a good variety of restaurants, grocery stores etc. There are some dodgy areas though, especially along Hanson Road where we have spotted ladies of the night (in broad daylight!).

Thanks for the advice....I think i will give them places a miss and stick to Woodcroft, Happy Valley, etc :D

Guest Pam777

To answer your questions about schools. I have an 8 and 13 yr old. The 8 yr old goes to Reynella Primary school which is a short drive from Woodcroft. Great school. The 13 yr old has just started yr 8 (high school) and goes to Reynella East College which also is a decent public school. it has just joined with reynella east primary school and formed the 'college' so it is a R-12 school now.

primary schools are easy enough to get into but high schools seem to be more tricky and depend on what the child likes, ie sport, science etc.

schools here start end Jan and finish at xmas. there are 4 terms, all have 10 weeks so its very easy to know where the school year is. there are 2 weeks holidays at end of each term but 6 weeks at xmas (summer).

public primary schools are around $240 a year per child and around $450 per child at high school. private schools are obviously available and plenty around he area.

Kids start school in reception at age 5 and move to high school in year 8. they finish in yr 12 so is all slightly different to the UK

Pam

Guest kangomik

Like i said, yes it's close to the CBD.

I wouldn't want to leave moss side and land in these area's.

Your dream of comming to Aus would be skewed slightly at best.

Look at house prices from North Adelaide, then over this area, and then North or west and beyond................. there's a reason it drops dramatically.

The southern end of prospect gets better, but suddenly the prices raise too.

Guest satish_lkb

Hi All,

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions!! We are not at all particular about Woodville, Prospect or Enfield. We got a suggestion from one of our friend.. thats all. Actually, what we need a good Public high school nearby for our daughter. We are ready to travel say 15-20 km daily to the work place. Initially we would like to rent, may be for 1 year, then will decide for purchase. Rental we prefer independent house/town house with little backyard...

Friends, please suggest some of the good furnished apts for our initial stay of a week or two.

Satish

Have a look on this thread for short term furnished rentals: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-business-adverts/10453-short-term-furnished-rentals.html

When you say you are happy to travel to and from work, where will you be working and what is acceptable in terms of time taken (as opposed to distance)?

What sort of thing are you looking for in a high school? Is your daughter keen on sport, music, performing arts, sciences, languages...? That might help narrow thigns down a little.

You may need to rent a short term place for a little longer than a week to allow you time to find a good rental in your eventual chosen area - the vacancy rate in (long term) rentals is extremely low and there is a lot of competition, so perhaps allow yourselves 4 weeks in furnished short term? It can be done quicker, but lots of the best high schools have catchment areas that you need to be in a long term rental within, so that may limit your choices a little.